U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2013, 01:22 PM

149 posts, read 214,918 times

Advertisements

maryland is a northern state. its also a mid atlantic state. when i say mid atlantic im think nc, va, md, de. pretty much the chesapeake bay or where slaves produced cotton. maryland is a mixed state but is way more northern than southern. the only thing southen about maryland is its big black population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 11:41 AM

8,386 posts, read 9,962,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_J View Post
From my experiences, the fall line is a good indicator of where culture in Maryland shifts from Northern (above the fall line) to Southern (below the fall line). Note that part of, though not all, of Baltimore is included in the Southern cultural range.
My main issue with using the fall line as a cultural indicator is that it cuts right through the middle of Baltimore and Washington DC. I know these cities have neighborhoods with distinct character but come on dude. .

Old 01-26-2013, 12:23 PM

607 posts, read 1,037,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
My main issue with using the fall line as a cultural indicator is that it cuts right through the middle of Baltimore and Washington DC. I know these cities have neighborhoods with distinct character but come on dude. .
I agree that it is a little too high, but parts of southern/eastern Baltimore do feel a bit Southern (though not full on Southern like the Eastern Shore). I'd extend the cultural line slightly lower so that most of DC and the northern third to half of PG county falls under the Northern cultural region.

People also mistake Western MD as Southern, but it feels more like Southwest PA to me. Same deal with rural portions of Frederick County + most of Carroll County - they feel like South Central PA.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:20 AM

6,572 posts, read 11,637,898 times
Quote:
Actually that is a very good map. I you compare Dundalk/Essex/Sparrows Point/Pasadena/Edgemere/Glen Burnie with Pikesville/Columbia/Owings Mills/Hunt Valley/Towson the difference is CERTAINLY there. However, I do have to say that Harford County is a mix. A lot of people claim Carroll County feels Southern and many people there have Confederate flags and becuase its country....but to me it definitely feels more like the Northern/PA kind of rural than the Southern kind of rural which you see more of on the Eastern Shore.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:21 AM

However overall due to the dominace of Montgomery County Maryland doesn't feel too Southern politically, being the first state to legalize illegal immigration by popular vote and one of the first (tied with Maine and Washington State) to legalize gay marriage by popular vote, plus all the nanny state laws and taxes we have here compred to Virginia and the Carolinas. And I do NOT consider Northern Virginia (at least not Fairfax, Arlington, and Alexandria) to be Southern.

And by the way the famous "hon" term is used far more to our south than to our north. I think with the map most of Baltimore City is probably southern, though the crime and decay today is more similar to northern cities like Newark NJ, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, and Detroit and the suburban prosperity of Howard County and the development of Harford County are more similar to booming Southern cities like Atlanta and Charlotte.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:00 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,693,062 times
Quote:
But you have NEVER reside/paid taxes in the Baltimore area-Maryland/DC suburbs in which you have no room or any credibility what so ever to dictate against the FACT that Maryland is a Southern State......

Old 02-04-2013, 11:07 AM

8,386 posts, read 9,962,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
But you have NEVER reside/paid taxes in the Baltimore area-Maryland/DC suburbs in which you have no room or any credibility what so ever to dictate against the FACT that Maryland is a Southern State......
Even you would have to agree that having a line that divides Northern culture from South culture that goes right through the middle of cities like Baltimore and Washington DC is a bit extreme. Are you saying that you agree with the "fall line" as a culture indicator that divides Northern culture from Southern culture?

Old 02-04-2013, 01:37 PM

607 posts, read 1,037,476 times
Quote:
Even you would have to agree that having a line that divides Northern culture from South culture that goes right through the middle of cities like Baltimore and Washington DC is a bit extreme. Are you saying that you agree with the "fall line" as a culture indicator that divides Northern culture from Southern culture?
It's far from perfect, but it's the best marker I could find. Baltimore itself isn't really Southern, but places immediately south of the city or even northeast of the city often do feel Southern. Northwestern portions of PG county don't feel Southern, but most of the county does feel Southern. See where I'm going here?

Old 02-05-2013, 10:14 PM

Virginia IS much more southern culturally and politically though OVERALL......they are moving in opposite directions. They are trying to ban illegal aliens from state colleges, they have a ban on gay marriage, and have the death penalty and allow guns in bars and restaurants and are trying to further loosen gun laws and they are trying to lower if not eliminte the gasoline tax and they are more focused on the free market than the nanny state and transit-orientedd development like here.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:11 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,019,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
And by the way the famous "hon" term is used far more to our south than to our north. I think with the map most of Baltimore City is probably southern, though the crime and decay today is more similar to northern cities like Newark NJ, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, and Detroit and the suburban prosperity of Howard County and the development of Harford County are more similar to booming Southern cities like Atlanta and Charlotte.
More urban: San Francisco or Los Angeles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post

I find the LA region overall to be in similar density to the Washington DC area including Northern Virginia and in fact the DC area also has lots of suburb to suburb commutes vs everyone going downtown and many areas like Tysons Corner, Bethesda and Arlington rival the District in terms of office space and entertainment. New York IS more dense than LA.....I'm not familiar with Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, or Boston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or