U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2013, 07:41 PM

15,703 posts, read 18,284,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampFox35 View Post
Maryland is a lot more rural than South Carolina overall in my opinion. South Carolina population is spread out pretty evenly across the state with Columbia, Charleston and Greenville being somewhat similar in population. Most of Maryland's population is centered around DC and Baltimore.
Your opinion would be wrong. Maryland is the 5th most densely populated state in the U.S. South Carolina is the 19th. The total population of Maryland is also higher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2013, 08:01 PM

6 posts, read 7,959 times
I'm pretty sure Maryland is southern, Only people who either aren't from Maryland or consider themselves super progressive and educated don't call it such. I've lived here my whole life and all our friends/relatives from NY etc think its southern I dunno why theres a big deal about that some people are weirdos. It seemed pretty southern as a kid till all these people started moving here and the farms started moving or selling their land I remember when the police dpt couldn't even afford more then 2 cars lol.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:11 PM

6 posts, read 7,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
You know, there is an old thread in the City vs. City forum that asks which is least Southern: Maryland or Delaware. The overwhelming consensus, in particular from those posting from West Virginia on down, stated that neither were Southern.

Based on the majority of answers in this thread, I would agree. The question posed is Is Maryland a Southern State? Not, are parts of Maryland Southern? Southern Maryland and/or the Eastern Shore may be Southern (or they may not be), but these are only regions of the State, and as obvious, are not a representation of the whole State. The State as whole, Maryland, is not Southern no matter how many people say ya'll (I say ya'll and I am from Northern California...) or eat grits.

Maryland has many influences that make the State unique.
Who cares if a bunch of people who are offended by the term move here? The state as whole is southern, the only thing that makes it even remotely northern is all the people who move here and consider themselves northern. Being in the DC area means nothing honestly there are a lot of DC people who are southern too for that matter. This is so weird I think the reason theres any debate at all is because of the influx of people in and out of Maryland and how much its recently started building up. It was nothing but country people and forests when we moved out here now it looks totally different and the people are different. More rude and self centered but you can always tell the people that are actually from here.

Old 03-11-2013, 05:46 AM

2,052 posts, read 4,856,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_J View Post
It is part of the DC metro area (although people from more rural places of the county resent that), is less agricultural-based, etc. In addition it's becoming increasingly diverse (particularly the southern half of the city and Urbana).
If Frederick is part of the DC Metro does that mean that Baltimore is too? Baltimore is closer to DC than Frederick. Frederick is actually closer to Baltimore than it is to DC. And I would bet that you find as many people commuting to Baltimore to work as they do to DC.

Frederick isn't part of any metro other than it's own. For statistical purposes, Frederick is in the DC Metro, but culturally, it is not a part of DC. Washington, Frederick, Carroll and Howard counties are very similar in their rural feel.

Old 03-11-2013, 02:24 PM

607 posts, read 1,039,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
If Frederick is part of the DC Metro does that mean that Baltimore is too? Baltimore is closer to DC than Frederick. Frederick is actually closer to Baltimore than it is to DC. And I would bet that you find as many people commuting to Baltimore to work as they do to DC.

Frederick isn't part of any metro other than it's own. For statistical purposes, Frederick is in the DC Metro, but culturally, it is not a part of DC. Washington, Frederick, Carroll and Howard counties are very similar in their rural feel.
First of all, I have absolutely never heard anyone say that Howard County is predominantly rural. There is nothing rural about Columbia and Ellicott City. Not urban, but by no means rural.

Development along I-270 in Frederick County has changed the feel of a lot of the county. Places like Urbana, New Market, and even Windsor Knolls recently have seen rapid growth in the past 15 years (interesting read here). Urbana's looking to expand significantly again soon. Most of the county is rural, but it certainly isn't along I-270. Frederick city residents are also easily distinguishable from rural areas of Frederick County even in the way they dress and speak (people keep up with trends more in the city, and they don't speak extremely slowly unlike people from, say, Brunswick).

Most people in the Urbana area don't commute to DC city proper, but rather to lower Montgomery County (Rockville seems to be a common place). I suspect that many people from Frederick city do the same thing. This probably isn't a good way to judge the whole community, but people from Frederick are more likely to root for DC-based sports teams (i.e., Redskins) as compared to Baltimore-based teams (i.e., Ravens).

Last edited by David_J; 03-11-2013 at 02:34 PM..

Old 03-11-2013, 02:32 PM

607 posts, read 1,039,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxcine View Post
I'm pretty sure Maryland is southern, Only people who either aren't from Maryland or consider themselves super progressive and educated don't call it such. I've lived here my whole life and all our friends/relatives from NY etc think its southern I dunno why theres a big deal about that some people are weirdos. It seemed pretty southern as a kid till all these people started moving here and the farms started moving or selling their land I remember when the police dpt couldn't even afford more then 2 cars lol.
Where in Maryland do you live? There's huge regionalism even within our own state borders.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:09 PM

5,690 posts, read 7,294,695 times
Quote:
... I've lived here my whole life ...
Quote:
... It was nothing but country people and forests when we moved out here ...
So then you haven't lived in MD your whole life?

Old 03-12-2013, 01:21 AM

6,611 posts, read 11,663,378 times
Politically Maryland is becoming less and less Southern especially as O'Malley's entire liberal agenda looks to be succeeding or on the way to succeeding.

I was born in Louisiana, and let me say........Southerners do NOT support in-state tuition for illegals, gay marriage, high taxes, high tolls, gun control laws esp assault weapons bans, abolishing the death penalty, growth restrictions, or plastic bag taxes/bans and nanny statism in general. All of these are/were initially pushed by Montgomery COunty or PG County Democrats but many have succeeded statewide due to the dominance of these two jurisdictions. Baltimore City often allies itself with them too.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:21 AM

905 posts, read 2,220,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Politically Maryland is becoming less and less Southern especially as O'Malley's entire liberal agenda looks to be succeeding or on the way to succeeding.

I was born in Louisiana, and let me say........Southerners do NOT support in-state tuition for illegals, gay marriage, high taxes, high tolls, gun control laws esp assault weapons bans, abolishing the death penalty, growth restrictions, or plastic bag taxes/bans and nanny statism in general. All of these are/were initially pushed by Montgomery COunty or PG County Democrats but many have succeeded statewide due to the dominance of these two jurisdictions. Baltimore City often allies itself with them too.
There are some southern cities that lean liberal. Mostly college towns, but Atlanta comes to mind as one of the big ones. I don't think Conservative = Southern, just as I don't think Rural = Southern...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Southerners do NOT support in-state tuition for illegals, gay marriage, high taxes, high tolls, gun control laws esp assault weapons bans, abolishing the death penalty, growth restrictions, or plastic bag taxes/bans and nanny statism in general.
Also, one of these things is not like the other... As in one is a law of exclusion that doesn't affect anyone except the people it is trying to help...

Old 03-13-2013, 05:53 PM

6,611 posts, read 11,663,378 times
I think that while Southern doesn't necessarily equal rural, Southern USUALLY equals conservative especially if you take the illegal alien population and the ghetto population out of the equation.

But RURAL = Conservative is usually true in most of the nation. With the possible exceptionf of Maine and New Hampshire and Vermont.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or