U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2013, 10:17 PM

9,397 posts, read 13,264,577 times

Advertisements

After visiting St Mary's County for a couple days, it definitely feels a lot more Southern than the other parts of Maryland I've been to. Especially PG and MoCo. The Eastern Shore also feels different from Southern MD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 10:55 PM

6 posts, read 7,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
So even though you were before the housing boom of the early 2000's, you were still part of the influx of people moving to MD. Not sure why you think you're so different than everyone else. 23 years isn't that long of a time. Maybe places like Clinton have changed a lot since then, but Baltimore/MoCo/Howard Counties had already lost much of their southern influence.

And I don't think anyone is even saying that being northern or southern is good or bad. Just pointing out that Maryland isn't considered southern by many (and is also not considered northern by many).
Not really, much of my maternal family has been in maryland since slavery, my mom's parent's moved to DC in the 40's and my mom stayed there for work but later moved back to maryland once my grandfather died. Most of my relatives were born in and stayed in maryland with a few moving so its not like I'm someone from Arizona moving to Maryland knowing nothing about it. My cousins in Baltimore have always said how much it's changed and built up some think its for the better others who are more country don't like it at all but it too has built up. I doubt there are very many areas of Maryland that haven't vastly improved, clinton/waldorf and la plata were just extremely dramatic. There used to be NO traffic miles and miles of forest and farm land and not much else the mall was a joke honestly, but the people we're very welcoming and kind.

@Richard: Thats silly but I wouldn't be shocked if it were true what a crazy notion.

I still think Maryland is southern it's just not like the deep south but its certainly no NY or even PA

Old 03-18-2013, 01:32 AM

6,612 posts, read 11,663,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I can speak for Maine; it is Conservative in the rural setting, which is the vast majority of the State. Read the Maine forum and you will hear the same issues you and WestSideBoy bring up. Vermont used to be staunchly Republican. If I remember correctly, every single Governor of Vermont up until 1963 was Republican. So, the Liberal Vermont is a fairly recent turn of events caused mostly by younger outdoorsy granola types of people moving to the State. But, Vermont is still Conservative in most areas. As for New Hampshire...the State's motto is "Live Free or Die". What do you think?

Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, and Western Massachusetts are essentially Appalachian.
So in Maine I guess the Portland area alone must be able to carry the state and control state politics cause Maine is always seen as a blue state, and even legalized gay marriage which I know goes against rural values and traditions and is something backed mostly by an urban, nonreligious, liberal elite.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:08 AM

1,736 posts, read 1,421,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
So in Maine I guess the Portland area alone must be able to carry the state and control state politics cause Maine is always seen as a blue state, and even legalized gay marriage which I know goes against rural values and traditions and is something backed mostly by an urban, nonreligious, liberal elite.
You still haven't answered my questions.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:17 AM

6,473 posts, read 10,753,593 times
Quote:
No, the difference is in New England the attitude truly is libertarian: do what you wish but do not harm me. "Rural values" are not the same as southern social conservative demogaugery, which clearly brainwashed you somewhere along the way.

New englanders on the whole are very hard workers, and its Puritan roots show. They don't have time to care who a person wants to get married to.

Olympia snowe is a good example of a New England conservative. She's probably not bat **** crazy enough for you, Tom.

Old 03-18-2013, 11:35 AM

9,397 posts, read 13,264,577 times
Quote:
It's backed mostly by people who aren't stuck in the 14th century. I have several Republican, conservative, religious friends who support gay marriage. Why? Because we grew up in a generation where homosexuality is much more accepted. We all know someone who's gay or lesbian and realize that their sexual orientation really doesn't affect us.

With the older generations, yeah it's more of a political divide. But with the younger generations, I've found that it's only the ignorant and the religious fundies who oppose it.

Old 03-19-2013, 05:23 AM

2,052 posts, read 4,856,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
No, the difference is in New England the attitude truly is libertarian: do what you wish but do not harm me. "Rural values" are not the same as southern social conservative demogaugery, which clearly brainwashed you somewhere along the way.

New englanders on the whole are very hard workers, and its Puritan roots show. They don't have time to care who a person wants to get married to.
This defines me to a T. I am a registered Republican but vote along Libertarian lines. I do vote for whomever I think will do the least damage. And I take no particular side in the gay marriage/abortion issues. I believe that the Lord will even up things in the end. Judge not, least ye be judged.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:38 AM

1,736 posts, read 1,421,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30is View Post
I know you're not going to answer these questions for me, but why are you against gay marriage but not against banning divorce? Wouldn't divorce be against traditional family values that are highly viewed in the South?
My questions have still yet to be answered by Tom. I'm curious to know why you are still dodging this.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:33 AM

6,473 posts, read 10,753,593 times
Quote:
My questions have still yet to be answered by Tom. I'm curious to know why you are still dodging this.
Tom doesn't answer questions, that would slow him down from spewing misinformed hyperbole.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:28 PM

6,612 posts, read 11,663,378 times
Quote:
Well my faith is not against divorce. I know some Catholics are but I am not Catholic. Plus divorce is nowhere as bad as gay marriage, which isn't as bad as abortion or ending the death penalty. I honestly was not that involved in the gay marriage debate, but fought in that battle mainly to fight O'Malley and to fight his liberal agenda, and help deal him a defeat after he increased the taxes and benefited illegal immigrants.

My most passionate fight is against taxes, abortion, transit-oriented development, gun control, and illegal immigration but I will fight O'Malley and his liberal elite on ANY issue that comes up. It really is about defeating and embarassing O'Malley and his liberal nanny state friends from Montgomery County and Baltimore City. Just like with wind farms I was mixed on it but now that O'Malley supports it I will oppose it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or