U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2013, 07:08 AM

905 posts, read 2,219,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Obama IS very liberal especially with Obamacare and his INSISTANCE on more tax hikes which is what led to the impasse and the sequestration! O'Malley is a radical left wing nutjob. So are many Maryland voters especially in Montgomery County. The illegal alien Dream Act is what upset me the most and made me politically aware. Watching a newscast about how illegal aliens were going to get rewarded for their illegality, followed by news about increasing taxes and tolls was when I realized how much was wrong with this state and this country for the first time. Taxes and illegal immigration, and the redistribution of wealth are very passioante issues for me. O'Malley and the Maryland Democrats also support a plastic bag tax, subsidizing wind farms by raising all our electric bills, the death penalty repeal, gun control, and gay marriage. Gay marriage is very low in terms of issues but its worth mentioning as its antoher example of O'Malley's opposition to American values, along with the death penalty repeal and trying to reward illegal alien criminals.

I didn't know Obama supported energy extraction in the US. After all he is trying his best to keep the Keystone Pipeline from being constructed.
See the funny thing is I agree with you on most of these issues. Fiscally I am very conservative but socially I am very liberal. I don't want the government taking my money and handing it out, telling me what size soda I can drink, telling me if I can own a gun, telling me who I can marry, etc... In principle I am against the dream act but if you look at all the stipulations involved it is not as outrageous as most make it out to be. Its not as if EVERY illegal immigrant can just go to college for free now. I'm not a huge fan of the state of MD or our elected officials but I do like Southern MD. I just wish the cost of living were a little more reasonable.

I don't let a fictitious being that lives in the sky influence my life or dictate what I want out of legislation. Also being against gay marriage is not an "American" value it is a religious wingnut value. The people that seem so nice on the outside but are more bigoted and judgemental than any other group or organization. I can't wait until old, up-tight people like you die off so my generation can have a chance. Congress is a bunch of old, out of touch rich guys that just have no connection with America's youth. I don't believe in banning gay marraige because it is a law of exclusion. It excludes a particular group of people from doing something for no reason other than old people saying its wrong. Marraige as an "institution" has been butchered for years anyway with our ridiculous divorce rates. Seriously how does it affect you in any way?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 06:23 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,021,059 times
Quote:

I didn't know Obama supported energy extraction in the US. After all he is trying his best to keep the Keystone Pipeline from being constructed.
Maybe because the US isn't getting anything in return from Canada exporting its oil to Europe.

Old 03-23-2013, 03:34 PM

8,188 posts, read 21,771,324 times
Quote:

Phase I of the Keystone pipeline was completed in 2010 (From Canada to Nebraska to Illinois) with Phase II being completed in 2011 (from Nebraska to Oklahoma). Phases III and IV (a second pipeline from Canada to Nebraska to the Gulf of Mexico) was approved by Obama in 2012, and again in 2013. There were some snags, but my understanding is that Obama supported the Pipeline all along and was waiting for the State Department (who ultimately has authority of decision) to finish their investigation into the project.

However, it should be pointed out that those who may see any benefit from Canadian oil (the entire operation is owned by a Canadian company) are those in the Midwest. The crude is only to be refined in the U.S. by already established refineries with already established workers to be sold on the World market. Outside of some small Midwest markets, this oil is not going to stay in the U.S. unless bought by the U.S. So outside of a few thousand temporary jobs to build the pipeline, I do not see why this is such a huge deal politically. The only people who claim it would provide "energy security" to the U.S. are Republican Politicians. But yes, Obama supports it. Even when he "rejected the projected" he never fully said no to it. In fact, what he did say was Hold on a sec, give us some more time to think about this and we'll see what we can do tomorrow.

I will get into it more later, but Obama is very big-business friendly including using America's natural resources to not only provide energy for the U.S., but also jobs. You probably don't hear much about it because political pundits do not want you to know that Obama is on your side with this.

Old 03-23-2013, 10:44 PM

9,397 posts, read 13,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbe10 View Post
Anyway, I am happy to see Maryland abolishing the death penalty. Maybe Missouri, Texas, and Virginia will be the next states to follow suit.
Good luck with that... even California couldn't end capital punishment. Then again, they put it to a ballot, and we all know how well that tends to work out in CA. Y'know, the state that banned gay marriage and opposed legalizing weed even though it might as well be legal given how easy it is to get an MMJ Rx there.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:32 PM

77 posts, read 109,691 times
Growing up in raleigh spending a lot of time in columbia and now living in newport news close to norfolk va I am fully aware of what the south is. All of these are southern cities norfolk area and raleigh are upper south columbia is deep south. I have been to prince georges maryland annapolis and loveee going to baltimore all the time. Baltimore is about as much of a southern city as philadelphia. Baltimore is nothing like virginia or kentucky or west virginia the most northern southern states. Annapolis isnt either at all. The larger cities in all the southern states are still southern Baltimore is dense very walkable and more urban than any southern city ive seen even atlanta. If the main cities in maryland arent remotely southern than the state isnt either. Maryland is the north period.

Old 06-15-2013, 12:46 PM

8,386 posts, read 9,970,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc919va757sc803 View Post
Growing up in raleigh spending a lot of time in columbia and now living in newport news close to norfolk va I am fully aware of what the south is. All of these are southern cities norfolk area and raleigh are upper south columbia is deep south. I have been to prince georges maryland annapolis and loveee going to baltimore all the time. Baltimore is about as much of a southern city as philadelphia. Baltimore is nothing like virginia or kentucky or west virginia the most northern southern states. Annapolis isnt either at all. The larger cities in all the southern states are still southern Baltimore is dense very walkable and more urban than any southern city ive seen even atlanta. If the main cities in maryland arent remotely southern than the state isnt either. Maryland is the north period.
Maryland has more in common with Pennsylvania, Delaware, and New Jersey than any other states in this country.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:17 AM

6,595 posts, read 11,649,228 times
I think Maryland and Virginia have a lot in common, except that Montgomery COunty controls Maryland while the rural parts of Virginia control Virginia. Maryland has a lot of transplants in MoCo but Virginia has a lot in NOVA. I think that Norfolk and Newport News felt more like Baltimore in a way than like Savannah, New Orleans, Charlotte, or Raleigh. Northern Virginia is NOT the south though.

I think Maryland is more like Virginia than like Pennsylvania. Western Maryland is also similar to neighboring parts of West Virginia.

Politically though Maryland is NOT southern at all. We are doing the opposite of Virginia in so many ways. Virginia now allows concealed carry weapons in restaurants and bars and there is a movement to allow more law abiding students to carry guns to campus (which should at LEAST be legal for commuter students to keep inside their parked cars since these individuals drive elsewhere and for example stop at the supermarket on their way home and if they can't have a gun in their parked car they can't have their gun at all when they leave the house and are going to campus and they are defenseless sitting ducks doing their other errands). I personally believe you should have a gun at home and another gun in your car at all times. Also, Virginia is trying to crack down on illegal immigration and many localities there have laws against hiring or renting homes to illegal aliens. Virginia also has very low toll rates on the highways and their gas tax is more fair in that Northern Virginia is expected to pay their fair share if they want mass transit and not expect residents of Harrisonburg and Lynchburg to subsidize them. There was also an attempt to pass an abortion ultrasound law in Virginia.

And nowhere in Virginia do they have nanny state bag taxes like Montgomery County, there there is no rain tax or wind farm tax there. In fact in some measures Maryland is more liberal than some northern states.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:49 AM

166 posts, read 138,546 times
Maryland was selected as the state with the less freedom across the board. It is not surprising it is a very liberal state.

I see nothing wrong with requiring women to have an ultrasound done, espeically if we are paying for their abortions. Given that they are taking a life for convenience, the least they can do is look at the ultrasound first.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:38 AM

905 posts, read 2,219,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTesla35 View Post
Maryland was selected as the state with the less freedom across the board. It is not surprising it is a very liberal state.

I see nothing wrong with requiring women to have an ultrasound done, espeically if we are paying for their abortions. Given that they are taking a life for convenience, the least they can do is look at the ultrasound first.
WTF are you serious? First off you are making a generalization that tax money would be funding all abortions which simply isn't true. Secondly they are referring to a trans-vaginal ultrasound which is a completely unnecessary and invasive procedure. Lastly stating that a fetus in the first trimester is a "life" is an opinion with no right or wrong answer you simply can't spout that as fact.

Seriously keep your rosaries out of my ovaries. Well if I had ovaries I would want you to keep your rosaries out of them...

Old 06-25-2013, 09:54 AM

425 posts, read 491,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tercel95 View Post
WTF are you serious? First off you are making a generalization that tax money would be funding all abortions which simply isn't true. Secondly they are referring to a trans-vaginal ultrasound which is a completely unnecessary and invasive procedure. Lastly stating that a fetus in the first trimester is a "life" is an opinion with no right or wrong answer you simply can't spout that as fact.

Seriously keep your rosaries out of my ovaries. Well if I had ovaries I would want you to keep your rosaries out of them...
I think majority of abortions are done after 1st trimester. Many Democrats support partial birth abortion, even. Given the fact abortion should be illegal because it is aborting a life, with exceptions for rape and death of mother in childbirth, it seems like an "invasive" procedure is a small price to pay for keeping it legal, if if it is even invasive. Democrats often talk about how abortion should be rare but legal but don't seem to embrace any ideas to make it more rare. I think that is going to hurt you in the end b/c like we finally did away with slavery, America will do away with abortion. We get in right in the end...people will view the practice of abortion as horrible as they view slavery and won't believe it was supported by many Americas back in the day, in the future.
Yes, I am that idealistic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or