U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2014, 11:39 PM

8,187 posts, read 21,763,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by go09 View Post
What a great map! And I might say accurate, Maryland (a clearly midAtlantic state) is multiregional... that is what I loved about living there. We neither considered ourselves northerners nor southerners, and were very much disinclined in being referred to as Yankees.
If by Yankee you mean NYC or New Jersey or Philly, then perhaps. If by Yankee you include New England, then I don't know if I can agree with you. New England is very similar to western Maryland, Delmarva, West Virginia, and Appalachian culture in general.

I'd say the map is only accurate for Maryland in that it correctly displays that Maryland really is many States in one. Here is where the map originated:

Tufts Magazine / fall 2013
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 12:39 PM

4,564 posts, read 7,632,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
If by Yankee you mean NYC or New Jersey or Philly, then perhaps. If by Yankee you include New England, then I don't know if I can agree with you. New England is very similar to western Maryland, Delmarva, West Virginia, and Appalachian culture in general.

I'd say the map is only accurate for Maryland in that it correctly displays that Maryland really is many States in one. Here is where the map originated:

I mean no offense and am not looking for an argument, but why do you think this? I have never been to NE, so I only know my side of the equation, but I have never heard anyone compare Western Maryland to anywhere in NE except the old timber towns of New Hampshire.

I have never read about any connections either. Yankees moved along the great lakes, Appalachia was settled by Tidewater people moving west and Germans and Scots-Irish moving down the valleys from PA.

It is an interesting theory. Do you mind fleshing it out?

Old 05-14-2014, 12:09 AM

248 posts, read 216,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post

I wasn't referring to any particular state as Yankee; rather, just pointing out that most of us Marylanders never considered ourselves Yankess.

And the map? just as I commented, it accurately shows Maryland as a multiregional state.. that's why I love it!

Old 05-14-2014, 02:13 AM

27 posts, read 28,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppethammer26 View Post
Why would Maryland want to be part of the Southeast? The Southeast is the scariest region in the US and people down there eat scary foods such as grits and sweet tea and go to scary restaurants such as Waffle House and Shoney's.
Haha.... what? I have no idea how grits or sweet tea is scary or how Waffle House or Shoney's would be considered scary. This is comical.

Old 05-18-2014, 05:25 PM

2,051 posts, read 4,849,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 062322 View Post
Haha.... what? I have no idea how grits or sweet tea is scary or how Waffle House or Shoney's would be considered scary. This is comical.
There already are grits and sweet tea available. There are 11 Waffle House locations in MD as well as Bojangles. There are Harris Teeters and Food Lions too. Maryland shares a lot of culture and retail with the more southern states.

Old 06-03-2014, 12:15 PM

619 posts, read 644,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
There already are grits and sweet tea available. There are 11 Waffle House locations in MD as well as Bojangles. There are Harris Teeters and Food Lions too. Maryland shares a lot of culture and retail with the more southern states.
But Maryland also has Dunkin Donuts, Shoprite, Pathmark, Superfresh, etc.

Old 06-03-2014, 04:02 PM

607 posts, read 1,037,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Grits? Bojangles? Don't seem them where I live. Dunkin Donuts are also definitely quite common, moreso than Waffle House.

I'm aware I can't speak for the entire state, but you can't just say "Maryland shares a lot of culture and retail with the more southern states" without giving the other point of view...

Old 06-05-2014, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_J View Post
Grits? Bojangles? Don't seem them where I live. Dunkin Donuts are also definitely quite common, moreso than Waffle House.
And we have Dunkin Donuts here in NC. We also have UTZ chips and Hershey's ice cream. My post was a reply to someone that implied that Maryland didn't have any southern style food stuffs. Another southern restaurant that has locations in MD is Cracker Barrel.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:40 PM

1,681 posts, read 3,050,805 times
There are also Waffle Houses in Pennsylvania so I don't see how having certain business chains make a state any more southern vs. northeastern.

Old 06-06-2014, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
There are also Waffle Houses in Pennsylvania so I don't see how having certain business chains make a state any more southern vs. northeastern.
And by the same reasoning, having certain chains don't make a state any more northeastern vs. southern. Maryland is clearly a border state. It has characteristics of both regions melded together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or