Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2011, 02:58 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,514,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Except in Pittsburgh they put the pomme frites IN the French Dip sandwich
ha!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 07:10 PM

501 posts, read 1,161,315 times
"Maryland has its roots in Southern hospitality"

This is a quote from the official tourism site of the state of Maryland.

http://www.visitmaryland.org/Eastern...s/Default.aspx

Place it in your browser without the "" and ""

Old 02-24-2011, 08:16 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,721,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDguy99 View Post
"Maryland has its roots in Southern hospitality"

This is a quote from the official tourism site of the state of Maryland.

Eastern Shore

Place it in your browser without the "" and ""
yeah, "it's roots" I was talking about Maryland in 2011. I agree that Maryland was a Southern state culturally and otherwise back before the Civil War when it was a tobacco/slave state, but now it is definitely a different state.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
yeah, "it's roots" I was talking about Maryland in 2011. I agree that Maryland was a Southern state culturally and otherwise back before the Civil War when it was a tobacco/slave state, but now it is definitely a different state.
Um- it still HAS its roots in Southern hospitality and those roots are in the Eastern Shore today. They go on to talk about the PRESENT DAY Southern hospitality you can enjoy from locals there TODAY. Don't try to twist it around to sound like they were referring to pre-Civil War antebellum Southern hospitality, because obviously that would not pertain to present day tourists of our state. It says "Eastern Shore residents WILL SHOW YOU WHY Mayland has its roots in southern hospitality" The only way they can show you is if they have Southern hospitality TODAY (as in "Maryland 2011" as you put it). You and I both know better what it is saying. Just accept the fact that I found an official tidbit of information that happens to go against your opinion and call it a day. And by the way- the Eastern Shore is actually not very different than it was 150 years ago. As you know, (just one example of many on the Shore) the Southern Chesapeake Tidewater culture of Smith Island is often hailed as one of America's best-preserved traditional cultures in the country. Your claim that the Eastern Shore's southern hospitality is a thing of the past is bogus.

Last edited by MDguy99; 02-25-2011 at 07:44 AM..

Old 02-25-2011, 02:26 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,381,324 times
The Eastern Shore is certainly the most Southern part of the state, culturally. It is also one of the least populous parts of the state, so it's hard to say the Eastern Shore represents Maryland as a whole.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:35 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,721,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDguy99 View Post
Your claim that the Eastern Shore's southern hospitality is a thing of the past is bogus.
Don't know which claim you're talking about since I never mentioned anything about the Eastern Shore.

I was responding to your quote: "Maryland has its roots in Southern hospitality" and as you can see from my post I was talking about Maryland. The (Lower) Eastern Shore is definitely more Southern than it is Northeastern. Same applies to much of Delaware. Both states overall are still more Northeastern than Southern.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
The Eastern Shore is certainly the most Southern part of the state, culturally. It is also one of the least populous parts of the state, so it's hard to say the Eastern Shore represents Maryland as a whole.
I never said it did. But it DOES represent the state's roots. Without the Eastern Shore and the Chesapeake, Maryland wouldn't be Maryland. The fact that the OFFICIAL STATE TOURISM WEBSITE states that Maryland's roots are Southern only proves that those who are of the opinion that this state is not in the North are backed by legitimate sources.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post

I was responding to your quote: "Maryland has its roots in Southern hospitality" and as you can see from my post I was talking about Maryland. The (Lower) Eastern Shore is definitely more Southern than it is Northeastern. Same applies to much of Delaware. Both states overall are still more Northeastern than Southern.
I'm not understanding your point here. Your claim in your last response was that somehow I was misrepresenting the quote from the website. I was not. You were wrong on that one. The site does say that the state of Maryland as a whole has its roots in Southern hospitality. Just accept the fact, as I have said, that I have found a legitimate state resource that happens to disagree with you. Your opinion is that the state is more northeastern. Great, but that is not a fact. I happen to have found a state website that disagrees with you (yes, it was speaking of Maryland as a whole and not just the Eastern Shore having its roots in Southern hospitality). Also, the ENTIRE Eastern Shore is more Southern than Northern, in my experience - again don't state your opinion as fact.

Old 02-25-2011, 03:06 PM

335 posts, read 699,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
Or, as William Donald Schaeffer affectionatly called it, the "s*it-hole eastern shore."

Old 02-25-2011, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goindownsouth2011 View Post
Or, as William Donald Schaeffer affectionatly called it, the "s*it-hole eastern shore."
I believe he called it an outhouse, too.

Either way, William Donald Schaeffer is one of the biggest s*it-holes in and of himself ever elected to public office.

Old 02-26-2011, 07:36 AM

7,017 posts, read 11,307,950 times
BillDon liked Western Maryland OK, he did lots of things to help us out. More than any governor since....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland