U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2014, 05:58 PM

2,051 posts, read 4,843,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppethammer26 View Post
I been to Maryland before and Maryland is a northeastern state in every shape and form.
You visited and that makes you an authority on Maryland? I lived there for close to 50 years so I'm thinking that my expertise trumps your 1 visit.

If you were to go south a little into coastal Virginia and North Carolina, you'd see that both of those areas look just like the Eastern Shore.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 07:35 PM

32,105 posts, read 39,155,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
You visited and that makes you an authority on Maryland? I lived there for close to 50 years so I'm thinking that my expertise trumps your 1 visit.

If you were to go south a little into coastal Virginia and North Carolina, you'd see that both of those areas look just like the Eastern Shore.
Muppethammer will then say they're like southern New Jersey.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:38 PM

56 posts, read 58,162 times
Western MD is Appalachian-like, Northern MD is southern PA-like, Eastern/Southern MD are southern, and Central MD (including the DC and Baltimore metro areas) is northeastern. That's what I grew up thinking, and I think it makes sense. MD has so many cultures, you can't just define all of it as a culturally "northern" or "southern" state. That was probably possible before (closer to the Civil War), but not anymore. The Mason-Dixon line doesn't demarcate cultures anymore, even if it did before. That's just my opinion, which I think is as valid as anyone's.

Here in Montgomery County, all of my friends are super-liberal, I've never heard anyone in my social circles say "y'all" (I was shocked when I heard it in North Carolina for the first time when I was 5), and we drink "iced tea," not "sweet tea." However, when I visited St. Mary's County, they said "y'all," drank "sweet tea" and flew Confederate flags. In Frederick, no one did any of that, but people were still generally conservative. I think it's impossible to generalize for Maryland (unless you take population into account, in which case it's probably "northern." With surface area, probably southern.).

Please, please, please, please don't generalize based on state lines. They were relevant before, but it's not useful anymore: we don't live in the Civil War. Maryland is not southern or northern, but a mix of both, like Pennsylvania and like Virginia and like Delaware. We're Mid-Atlantic.

Old 07-09-2014, 11:31 PM

2,825 posts, read 2,986,909 times
People will never stop discussing whether Maryland is southern, and it's probably going to be Virginia next if transplants keep flooding the Old Dominion. Personally, I don't pick up a southern vibe in Maryland. I do in Virginia for the most part, but Maryland just seems way too northern. You can travel from Baltimore to NYC in less than three hours, Baltimore to Charlotte or Atlanta is an 8-10 hour drive. I feel like I'm in an area more similar to Pennsylvania, Delaware, and New Jersey whenever I'm in Maryland, not an area like Virginia and the Carolina's. The DC and Baltimore metros don't feel southern at all to me, but I'll admit that I'm not very familiar with rural Maryland with the exception of briefly traveling through a few areas like Hagerstown and Salisbury. Did they feel southern to me? For the most part, not really (at least the southern I'm used to). However, this is coming from a North Carolinian! I'm sure plenty of folks in Maine, Vermont, or Massachusetts consider Maryland to be southern. Like some folks in Alabama or South Carolina have a hard time believing Virginia can still be classified as a southern state. Practically all of the Marylanders that I know don't consider themselves to be southern and agree that the Mason-Dixon line is outdated. I don't think Maryland is that similar to further states to the south like Virginia and North Carolina. To me, Maryland is more like Delaware and Pennsylvania while Virginia is more like North Carolina.

Old 08-14-2014, 05:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,093 times
I think everything south of Cambridge on the Eastern Shore feels very southern. The "Western Shore," starting about 30mi south of Annapolis and all the way down to Point Lookout, feels even more southern (St. Mary's County, particularly). These two areas honestly seem like they were cut out of a more traditionally southern state and transplanted into Maryland... a state that otherwise fits nicely into the Mid-Atlantic or almost Northeast category.

If you're looking for some mountain-folksy Appalachia flavor, check out the narrow slice of western MD along route 68 from ~Hagerstown to the West Virgina state line... it's very different from the rest of the state in many ways.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:31 AM

9 posts, read 8,249 times
Well imo i really dont think Md is a southern state not that much anyway lol I live in the suburbs im right outside of Wash dc nothing southern here lol.we prolly in between if you ask me .

Old 08-20-2014, 02:35 PM

6,212 posts, read 7,031,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisvishr0 View Post
Western MD is Appalachian-like, Northern MD is southern PA-like, Eastern/Southern MD are southern, and Central MD (including the DC and Baltimore metro areas) is northeastern. That's what I grew up thinking, and I think it makes sense. MD has so many cultures, you can't just define all of it as a culturally "northern" or "southern" state. That was probably possible before (closer to the Civil War), but not anymore. The Mason-Dixon line doesn't demarcate cultures anymore, even if it did before. That's just my opinion, which I think is as valid as anyone's.

Here in Montgomery County, all of my friends are super-liberal, I've never heard anyone in my social circles say "y'all" (I was shocked when I heard it in North Carolina for the first time when I was 5), and we drink "iced tea," not "sweet tea." However, when I visited St. Mary's County, they said "y'all," drank "sweet tea" and flew Confederate flags. In Frederick, no one did any of that, but people were still generally conservative. I think it's impossible to generalize for Maryland (unless you take population into account, in which case it's probably "northern." With surface area, probably southern.).

Please, please, please, please don't generalize based on state lines. They were relevant before, but it's not useful anymore: we don't live in the Civil War. Maryland is not southern or northern, but a mix of both, like Pennsylvania and like Virginia and like Delaware. We're Mid-Atlantic.
This. I've finally been to ALL of the regions here in Maryland after going to the western part of the state for the first time with my friends (Wisp Resort Loved it!) and that part of the state had a vibe that I've never felt before....Like a mix between Appalachia, Metro Pittsburgh, and a bit of Ohio. It was beautiful up there and the air smelled so clean and pure! People were pretty friendly too and weren't total strangers to diversity. Did I mentioned the gorgeous scenery?

I love that all of the regions within Maryland have their own distinct vibes and characteristics. America In Miniature indeed

Old 08-20-2014, 04:33 PM

Quote:

Also agree with the bolded statement. Let's be honest, culture knows no boundaries.

Old 08-20-2014, 04:39 PM

Quote:

Add in New Jersey and a bit of West Virginia as well.

Old 10-08-2014, 05:24 PM

619 posts, read 642,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Add in New Jersey and a bit of West Virginia as well.
Agree. Maryland should be at least called a Mid-Atlantic state like New Jersey, Delaware and Pennsylvania does, even if Maryland is not a Northeastern state. NEVER call Maryland a Southeastern state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or