U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2014, 12:57 PM

91 posts, read 88,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
It's your opinion, no harm no foul. Others may get defensive about that but you should stand firm my friend. Some Marylanders such as those two identify as Southern whereas other Marylanders such as myself identify as Northern. Maryland is culturally hybrid state with a mix of different cultures such as Lower Northeastern, Upper Southern, a bit of Appalachian, International, etc. It's arguably the quintessential Mid-Atlantic state. As for the dialect, 'wooder' is pretty common up in the Baltimore area and over on the Eastern Shore (which is interesting considering the somewhat Southern vibe out there. The most common pronunciation for water here in the Maryland suburbs of Washington DC (Suburban Maryland being Prince George's County, Montgomery County, Charles County, Calvert County, and Frederick County) is generally 'wadder', I catch myself saying it all the time. The Baltimore accent/dialect sounds fairly similar to the Philly/South Jersey accent/dialect, while the DC/Suburban Maryland accent/dialect sounds a little more unique for the East Coast and it tends to vary a bit within The City itself and when it travels out here to Suburban Maryland or across the Potomac in Northern Virginia. We say things that you wouldn't hear out of someone from further up in the Northeast or out of someone from the South, we even say some things that you wouldn't hear from both regions. I personally don't think I have the DC accent (but my accent does sound a little nasal or twangy) but I do have the local dialect that I can easily switch on and off. Btw, the DC accent is primarily common among us Black Americans who were born and raised in the area (there is possibly a White DC accent but born and bred white Washingtonians are a little on the rare side...The closest accent I can think of is comedian Lewis Black's. He's from Silver Spring). Up in the Baltimore area, blacks and whites share their city's accent with some differences. I think you might also hear Baltimorese among the local white population as well.

As for religion, Maryland is diverse in its denominations. You have Catholics, Baptists (not as much notable as in say Georgia or North Carolina), Mennonite, Methodist, Anglican, Muslim/Moslem, Orthodox Jewish, Atheist, Deist, Buddhist, Sikh, Hindi, etc. My immediate family grew up as Baptists (my stepdad is Methodist), however even though I suppose you could say I'm a Baptist, personally I'm not a religious person (not Atheist or even Diest but I'm not much of a fan of religion). As I said, everybody's different. Maryland can be a complicated state to figure out at times.
Yes, thank you my friend. I am a fluent English speaker and notice the accents in Baltimore are identifical to Philadelphia. The mannerisms and way of life aslo reflect Pennsylvania and New Jersey. Maryland is very much a northern state, culturally speaking. I notice a very big difference once I drive south out of the DC suburbs area of Northern Vriginia. There I consider it to be "southern". in culture. I hope I haven't offended anyone who wants to identify as southern, but Maryland to me seems a wholly northern state. Unlike Virginia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2014, 01:10 PM

27,618 posts, read 24,814,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
That was the point, it was blatant stereotyping of a place, and a people I know next to nothing about.

Don't do the same. When you admit you haven't been in America very long, let along Maryland, and then list a trait you define as being Southern, like being majority Baptist, that isn't true throughout the region. It indicates to me that you have a very limited and monolithic understanding of a large, complex cultural region. It shows me you don't have the background knowledge to speak with any more authority on this issue than I do when talking about your home.

How much of the state have you visited before giving your opinion? What do you know of Maryland, or Marylanders, west of Sideling Hill? South of the beltway? Off the beaten path on the Eastern Shore? If the answer is "not much," you can't speak on what Maryland is or is not any more than I can visit Amsterdam and start rattling off what life must be like in Limburg.........it all just the Netherlands and therefore the same, right?
Oranje1 is the same person as ILikeMike91.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeMike91 View Post
I am Canadian and now live below the Mason Dixon line and it is far richer, more integrated, and more "diverse" than anywhere in Canada (save Toronto proper). You need to stop playing on old stereotypes. Technology here blows Canada out of the water.
Only difference is that he claims to be Dutch under one handle and Canadian under another. Both characters immediately jump into this topic.

Never a good idea to respond to someone who has an account that can't possibly be older than 9 days old (especially when they come into a forum asking about something other than moving advice, safety, etc.).

Old 10-12-2014, 08:18 AM

619 posts, read 643,684 times
You should treat Maryland like New Jersey because Maryland is more similar to New Jersey and the other northeastern states such as Delaware than the southeastern states such as South Carolina and Georgia. The city of Baltimore is basically a smaller Philadelphia while Annapolis is Harrisburg on the bay, while the Eastern Shore is the Maryland version of the Jersey Shore, while Western Maryland is like Western Pennsylvania.

Old 10-12-2014, 08:31 AM

1,524 posts, read 2,150,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Oranje1 is the same person as ILikeMike91.

Only difference is that he claims to be Dutch under one handle and Canadian under another. Both characters immediately jump into this topic.

Never a good idea to respond to someone who has an account that can't possibly be older than 9 days old (especially when they come into a forum asking about something other than moving advice, safety, etc.).
Looks like you really are running out of ammo now. If you don't agree with the post, it must be a troll.

Old 10-12-2014, 10:17 AM

5,292 posts, read 5,278,371 times
Exactly!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppethammer26 View Post
you should treat maryland like new jersey because maryland is more similar to new jersey and the other northeastern states such as delaware than the southeastern states such as south carolina and georgia. The city of baltimore is basically a smaller philadelphia while annapolis is harrisburg on the bay, while the eastern shore is the maryland version of the jersey shore, while western maryland is like western pennsylvania.

Old 10-12-2014, 10:18 AM

5,292 posts, read 5,278,371 times
I'm familiar with Ta-Nehisi Coates, his father Mr. Paul Coates I know personally through his Black Classic Press Publishing House.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Here's a piece written by Ta-Nehisi Coates, a native of Baltimore. If you don't know who Ta-Nehisi Coates is (you should), I'll forgive your ignorance for the time being.

The Indisputable South - The Atlantic

Old 11-06-2014, 03:22 PM

4,801 posts, read 3,446,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oranje1 View Post
Maryland is a northern state. As a newcomer to America I find it a classic "Yankee" state. I find nothing southern about it in any way. Even the attitudes of people are very northern. It also too cold in the winter, too liberal, to many Cathlics/too few baptists, and the accent even sounds just like Philadelphia ("wooder").
The vowels of MD and Philly are actually Southern in character. Using Philly as a prooftext of Northern-ness isn't exactly helpful to make Baltimore seem more Northern.

How the Philly accent is changing

Quote:
"It's just changing in a different direction from where it was going before," said Josef Fruehwald, one of the University of Pennsylvania linguistics researchers behind a study we reported on yesterday. "It was more Southern-influenced before. Now it's changing to more like other Northern dialects."
And also...

Quote:
"Those kinds of pronunciations are largely similar to Southern dialects," Fruehwald explained. Labov says he's long called Philadelphia "the northern-most Southern city" because of its linguistic quirks.
OK, so here's finding #1: That rising trend line of extreme "o" sounds actually reversed, starting with Philadelphians born in the '50s and '60s. Those "o" sounds, strongly influenced by Southern dialects, steadily became more Northern, more generic. (A note: Labov and Fruehwald say their study examines the speech community of white Philadelphians with deep ties to the city.)
It's all in the vowels, boss. Philly's vowels aren't particularly Northern. You want Northern vowels, go to NYC or Boston.

Now, interestingly, if Philly's vowels shift to more Northern patterns, that doesn't mean Baltimore's will.

Old 11-07-2014, 10:28 AM

2,051 posts, read 4,846,432 times
Take this and put it in your "All of Maryland is a Northern State" business.

How did Maryland vote for governor? - Baltimore Sun

You'll notice that outside of the big metros, the citizens of Maryland always lean Republican.

Old 11-07-2014, 08:20 PM

4,801 posts, read 3,446,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Take this and put it in your "All of Maryland is a Northern State" business.

How did Maryland vote for governor? - Baltimore Sun

You'll notice that outside of the big metros, the citizens of Maryland always lean Republican.
The majority of Whites in Maryland were Romney supporters in 2012, also. It certainly ain't Vermont. If you look at the fact that a county like Baltimore City had 11% of Romney votes, it would appear that nobody voted for Romney, except when you look at the fact that Whites are a minority in Baltimore. If you look at Montgomery County, it becomes more even and in that county, you have more Romney supporters concurrent with the higher amount of Whites. Plus if you take Jewish people out of the White statistics (since most of them vote Democrat no matter where they are), the percentage of Whites who supported Romney increases. But if you include Jewish voters, Maryland's Whites are around 42% Obama supporters.

Old 11-08-2014, 09:12 AM

2,385 posts, read 1,220,458 times
I grew up in Maryland, and it definitely is a mix-bag. I never really thought of us as being Northern or Southern growing up. To me the Northeast metro areas (Philly, NYC, Boston) always 'felt' a little different than the metro areas of Maryland/DC, but then again so does the Southeast. You can definitely detect some elements of the Northeast around Baltimore (and surrounding areas), but parts of western and southern MD feel like the south. Most of the suburbs in between Baltimore and DC just feel like typical suburbia (not strongly Northern or Southern). Basically, I guess that's what you get when you are a border state between two major geographic/cultural regions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or