Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2014, 10:02 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,049,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Nah, the real Marylanders know the truth. It's the people that are from other states that deny it.
Which is why 40% of Marylanders consider the state Southern?????

Also, this very forum has the same poll in which more than half of responders listed Baltimore as NOT Northeastern.

So, have fun with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball freak
Disagree. Louisiana's only Non southern characteristic is lots of Catholics. In every other way it is Southern. Maryland's only Southern characteristic today is the large percentage of African Americans. In every other way it is more like the Northeast. You seem to want to include Maryland in the South before Texas is absurd. Kentucky, Virginia and Tennessee are all Southern. The South is made up of four regions: upper south (Kentucky, West Virginia, Virginia), mid south (North Carolina, Tennessee, Arkansas), Deep South (Louisana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, Florida), and Western South (Oklahoma, Texas). Also your hearing must be unique because to my ear the New Orleans accent sounds more like a Deep South accent than a New York accent. Not Northeastern whatsoever.
List these "Northeastern" characteristics Maryland has and Louisiana has not.

Old 11-10-2014, 11:49 AM

194 posts, read 240,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Culture, politics, speech patterns that are shared exclusively with Southern Pennsylvania, Delaware, and South Jersey (in modern times). Louisiana has none of these.

Old 11-10-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Which is why 40% of Marylanders consider the state Southern?????

Also, this very forum has the same poll in which more than half of responders listed Baltimore as NOT Northeastern.

So, have fun with that.
That's still not a majority or even half. Your case is weak at best.

Old 11-10-2014, 11:53 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,337,464 times
Quote:
Good Pizza

Old 11-10-2014, 12:00 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,205,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball freak View Post
Disagree. Louisiana's only Non southern characteristic is lots of Catholics. In every other way it is Southern. Maryland's only Southern characteristic today is the large percentage of African Americans. In every other way it is more like the Northeast. You seem to want to include Maryland in the South before Texas is absurd. Kentucky, Virginia and Tennessee are all Southern. The South is made up of four regions: upper south (Kentucky, West Virginia, Virginia), mid south (North Carolina, Tennessee, Arkansas), Deep South (Louisana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, Florida), and Western South (Oklahoma, Texas). Also your hearing must be unique because to my ear the New Orleans accent sounds more like a Deep South accent than a New York accent. Not Northeastern whatsoever.
Agree with your assessment however I think when he mentioned the NO accent sounds like a New York accent, he might've been referring to the Yat dialect. That dialect is mostly concentrated in some of NO's suburbs nowadays but the NO accent has many different sounds that sound like they either came straight out of the Caribbean or France or old school classy aristocratic Southern with a touch of Francois or a unique jazzy Southern sound and more. People from New Orleans seem to talk a little faster than most Southerners to me as well. New Orleans/South Louisiana is quite possibly the most unique locality in the South.

Old 11-10-2014, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Tyranny of the majority I see. Marylanders as a whole do not consider their state to be part of the South at least in modern times. I've been to Annapolis. Didn't feel Southern to me. And the Mason-Dixon Line argument is so outdated it is ridiculous. Nothing magical happens when you leave Southern Pennsylvania and Southern New Jersey for Delaware and Maryland except when you reach the Southern parts of those states. If Annapolis were staunchly Southern at DC would also reflect that to some degree. You can't have non Southern and Southern less than an hour's drive apart and on the same latitude.
Most people don't even know that South Jersey extends pass the Mason-Dixon Line..........

Old 11-10-2014, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"You should treat Maryland like New Jersey" Wash your mouth out with soap!
Get off the NJ Turnpike near NYC and you'll see that Jersey is actually a pretty interesting looking state.

Old 11-10-2014, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Culture,
Such as? Please don't be vague.

Quote:
politics,
LOL! Maryland is a Blue State for a very different reason than a state like Vermont is. Most White people in Maryland are NOT Democrats. Maryland has a lot of Black people, who traditionally vote heavily Democrat. So you look at areas like DC and Baltimore, heavily Black, and thus very Blue. Go into more White areas and Maryland turns red. Either way, as if being a Democrat made someone NOT Southern. Look at Wendy Davis, Al Gore, Bill Clinton, and tell me they're not Southern.

Politics makes not a Southern person. If that was the case, Sean Hannity and Stacey Dash (as New York as they come) would be hardcore Southern people.

Quote:
speech patterns that are shared exclusively with Southern Pennsylvania, Delaware, and South Jersey (in modern times).
Doesn't have to be modern times. These speech patterns have actually been present for a while. But this is why your case isn't helped with this example.

Did you even see the link I posted about said Mid-Atlantic dialects having more in common with the SOUTH than with the Northeast? Philly's vowels (and this includes So. Jersey and Delaware) are Southern in character and with time becoming less Southern. Renowned linguist William Labov explains this in discussing the Philadelphia dialect. Philly's "o's" are Southern-like, for example, as is the way they say "wooder" (also heard n Virginia). These are anomalies in the traditional Northern Cities Vowel Shift. If anything, Philly is more Southern in dialect than Baltimore is Northeastern.

Quote:
Louisiana has none of these.
Culture? Like their French derived culture? Because that's not very "Southern". Besides, Louisiana and Maryland definitely were very red this mid-term election. Is Maryland more Southern because of that, now? Can it shape shift? Also, Louisiana's vowels sure don't have the Northern Cities Vowel Shift, like Philly, which by the way Philadelphia is in the PROCESS of undergoing, but didn't have in the past. Vowel-wise, Louisiana and Maryland are both Southern.

Old 11-10-2014, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Such as? Please don't be vague.

LOL! Maryland is a Blue State for a very different reason than a state like Vermont is. Most White people in Maryland are NOT Democrats. Maryland has a lot of Black people, who traditionally vote heavily Democrat. So you look at areas like DC and Baltimore, heavily Black, and thus very Blue. Go into more White areas and Maryland turns red. Either way, as if being a Democrat made someone NOT Southern. Look at Wendy Davis, Al Gore, Bill Clinton, and tell me they're not Southern.

Politics makes not a Southern person. If that was the case, Sean Hannity and Stacey Dash (as New York as they come) would be hardcore Southern people.

Doesn't have to be modern times. These speech patterns have actually been present for a while. But this is why your case isn't helped with this example.

Did you even see the link I posted about said Mid-Atlantic dialects having more in common with the SOUTH than with the Northeast? Philly's vowels (and this includes So. Jersey and Delaware) are Southern in character and with time becoming less Southern. Renowned linguist William Labov explains this in discussing the Philadelphia dialect. Philly's "o's" are Southern-like, for example, as is the way they say "wooder" (also heard n Virginia). These are anomalies in the traditional Northern Cities Vowel Shift. If anything, Philly is more Southern in dialect than Baltimore is Northeastern.

Culture? Like their French derived culture? Because that's not very "Southern". Besides, Louisiana and Maryland definitely were very red this mid-term election. Is Maryland more Southern because of that, now? Can it shape shift? Also, Louisiana's vowels sure don't have the Northern Cities Vowel Shift, like Philly, which by the way Philadelphia is in the PROCESS of undergoing, but didn't have in the past. Vowel-wise, Louisiana and Maryland are both Southern.
all of this is strictly your opinion. If you can't see the forest for the trees not my problem. Philadelphia does not have Southern dialect and neither does most of Maryland. Last time I checked sweet tea wasn't a big thing in Maryland either. Louisiana is not strictly French culture either it is Southern fused with Cajun Creole and French elements. You obviously won't listen to anyone but you so I'm through wasting my time on you. If you want to make believe Maryland is a Southern state today thAts your problem. And modern times mean everything with Maryland. You honestly mean to tell me states cant change regional identities after a certain period of time? This is especially false for historic border states. Anyway you are a waste of my time so begone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland