U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-10-2014, 02:07 PM
 
Location: Oxford, CT
3,556 posts, read 2,328,825 times
Reputation: 2903

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball freak View Post
all of this is strictly your opinion. If you can't see the forest for the trees not my problem. Philadelphia does not have Southern dialect and neither does most of Maryland. Last time I checked sweet tea wasn't a big thing in Maryland either. Louisiana is not strictly French culture either it is Southern fused with Cajun Creole and French elements. You obviously won't listen to anyone but you so I'm through wasting my time on you. If you want to make believe Maryland is a Southern state today thAts your problem. And modern times mean everything with Maryland. You honestly mean to tell me states cant change regional identities after a certain period of time? This is especially false for historic border states. Anyway you are a waste of my time so begone.
If Maryland can change regions, so can Florida, or Virginia, or North Carolina etc etc.

Maryland is a southern state until it officially changes regions.
Maryland Trying To Secede From The South

Many times when articles refer to the southern states they also refer to Maryland as in that bunch. Why would that be if they were clearly a northern state. Maryland is not clearly a northern state. We can scream "but everyone thinks so!" all we want and it would not change, in the same way we could throw all of the New Yorkers into Florida and Florida would STAY a southern state. Take everyone from Alabama and throw them into Connecticut and Connecticut would STAY a northern state.

There's not much argument to be had here except by using history. History says it's a southern state with an identity crisis, but nonetheless southern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-10-2014, 02:26 PM
 
194 posts, read 165,374 times
Reputation: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
List these "Northeastern" characteristics Maryland has and Louisiana has not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
If Maryland can change regions, so can Florida, or Virginia, or North Carolina etc etc.

Maryland is a southern state until it officially changes regions.
Maryland Trying To Secede From The South

Many times when articles refer to the southern states they also refer to Maryland as in that bunch. Why would that be if they were clearly a northern state. Maryland is not clearly a northern state. We can scream "but everyone thinks so!" all we want and it would not change, in the same way we could throw all of the New Yorkers into Florida and Florida would STAY a southern state. Take everyone from Alabama and throw them into Connecticut and Connecticut would STAY a northern state.

There's not much argument to be had here except by using history. History says it's a southern state with an identity crisis, but nonetheless southern.
Again your opinion. Connecticut would stay Northern because it doesn't border states from different regions. Maryland borders both Northern and Southern states therefore it is sensitive to identity crises and regional changeovers. That plus it is geographically tiny. The census bureau has a hard core belief that the Mason-Dixon Line tells the whole story. The vast majority of people from Maryland I've talked don't agree with the census bureau.Virginia North Carolina and Florida haven't changed regions though. They still mirror the South in every single form although South Florida has become less Southern over time. If you and Eddie don't agree with me that's fine however I am standing firm where I am at. Go and argue with someone willing to give you the time of day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2014, 02:32 PM
 
Location: Oxford, CT
3,556 posts, read 2,328,825 times
Reputation: 2903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball freak View Post
Again your opinion. Connecticut would stay Northern because it doesn't border states from different regions. Maryland borders both Northern and Southern states therefore it is sensitive to identity crises and regional changeovers. That plus it is geographically tiny. The census bureau has a hard core belief that the Mason-Dixon Line tells the whole story. The vast majority of people from Maryland I've talked don't agree with the census bureau.Virginia North Carolina and Florida haven't changed regions though. They still mirror the South in every single form although South Florida has become less Southern over time. If you and Eddie don't agree with me that's fine however I am standing firm where I am at. Go and argue with someone willing to give you the time of day.
Well hey that's fine if you want to stick with "well everyone says so!" then that's cool. I'd rather stick with history and substance :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2014, 02:34 PM
 
194 posts, read 165,374 times
Reputation: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Well hey that's fine if you want to stick with "well everyone says so!" then that's cool. I'd rather stick with history and substance :-)
Pre civil war history has no bearing on what a border state is today. I should know since I live in one. You are about as much substance as a ghost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2014, 02:44 PM
 
Location: Oxford, CT
3,556 posts, read 2,328,825 times
Reputation: 2903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball freak View Post
Pre civil war history has no bearing on what a border state is today. I should know since I live in one. You are about as much substance as a ghost.
Pre Civil war? Try as recent as this century!

If you want to accept that a state can switch regions because it is a border state then you must accept that after a region is switched that the next state can then switch let's say 100 years from then.

Maryland switches to the north and therefore makes VA a border state. 100 years from then VA switches to the north which then makes NC the border state... so on and so forth. But hey, you can live in the everybody says so world if you want!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2014, 02:52 PM
 
194 posts, read 165,374 times
Reputation: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Pre Civil war? Try as recent as this century!

If you want to accept that a state can switch regions because it is a border state then you must accept that after a region is switched that the next state can then switch let's say 100 years from then.

Maryland switches to the north and therefore makes VA a border state. 100 years from then VA switches to the north which then makes NC the border state... so on and so forth. But hey, you can live in the everybody says so world if you want!
As this century? As of 10 years ago? Like you are doing saying so because everybody else says so? Nah I'll stick to facts. Virginia is not a border state lol get a clue. And quit bothering me. Go waste your time on someone who will listen to your nonsense. You are on ignore now so don't bother replying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2014, 03:18 PM
 
Location: Cumberland
4,564 posts, read 7,634,742 times
Reputation: 2790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball freak View Post
As this century? As of 10 years ago? Like you are doing saying so because everybody else says so? Nah I'll stick to facts. Virginia is not a border state lol get a clue. And quit bothering me. Go waste your time on someone who will listen to your nonsense. You are on ignore now so don't bother replying.
So........after like 15 posts on this forum, you are already shouting people down, putting them on ignore, and being rude because you think you can drop the hammer and end the debate after 1200+ posts of back and forth discussion on this topic?

Get over yourself dude. In case you couldn't tell, this question has no easy answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2014, 03:22 PM
 
Location: Oxford, CT
3,556 posts, read 2,328,825 times
Reputation: 2903
I'm willing to admit that there's a case to be made for the state to switch regions... I just believe that right now it's a southern state. Obviously it's not clearly one way or another and I'm fine with that, I will continue to call it a southern state and others will continue to call it a northern state. Until an official region switch is done, then I will stick with history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2014, 06:19 PM
 
Location: Hampton Roads, VA.
867 posts, read 1,023,204 times
Reputation: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
So........after like 15 posts on this forum, you are already shouting people down, putting them on ignore, and being rude because you think you can drop the hammer and end the debate after 1200+ posts of back and forth discussion on this topic?

Get over yourself dude. In case you couldn't tell, this question has no easy answer.
That person has more than 15 posts ...theyre just under different names. mrfgsn...stlouisan etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2014, 06:28 PM
 
194 posts, read 165,374 times
Reputation: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757Cities Southsider View Post
That person has more than 15 posts ...theyre just under different names. mrfgsn...stlouisan etc...
Who are these people? I don't know them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top