U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2014, 11:28 AM

6,212 posts, read 7,065,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball freak View Post
As this century? As of 10 years ago? Like you are doing saying so because everybody else says so? Nah I'll stick to facts. Virginia is not a border state lol get a clue. And quit bothering me. Go waste your time on someone who will listen to your nonsense. You are on ignore now so don't bother replying.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=barWV7RWkq0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 05:08 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,196,128 times
Why am I not surprised that this debate is still going on? lol.

It will be interesting to see where opinion lies two or three decades from now. This neverending forum discussion notwithstanding, I think it's pretty clear that a majority of MD residents believe the state is not Southern, whether it really is or isn't:

Which States Are in the South? | FiveThirtyEight
UNC-CH surveys reveal where the ‘real’ South lies

As Maryland grows more dense, more diverse, more liberal, and more economically connected to the Northeast Corridor/Megalopolis I wouldn't be surprised if nearly all residents would be in agreement that Maryland was not a Southern state, as it is with Missouri and Delaware (which were once considered Southern states, as MD was) now.

Old 11-11-2014, 08:54 PM

619 posts, read 646,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
Why am I not surprised that this debate is still going on? lol.

It will be interesting to see where opinion lies two or three decades from now. This neverending forum discussion notwithstanding, I think it's pretty clear that a majority of MD residents believe the state is not Southern, whether it really is or isn't:

Which States Are in the South? | FiveThirtyEight
UNC-CH surveys reveal where the ‘real’ South lies

As Maryland grows more dense, more diverse, more liberal, and more economically connected to the Northeast Corridor/Megalopolis I wouldn't be surprised if nearly all residents would be in agreement that Maryland was not a Southern state, as it is with Missouri and Delaware (which were once considered Southern states, as MD was) now.
I never heard of Delaware being called a southern state at least once until I been to this site. However, I have actually heard of Missouri being called a southern state before City-Data. I did check the histories of both states and Missouri had a southern past, being supposed to be part of the Confederacy and a slave state, but not Delaware. The only place/organization/person I could think of Delaware ever being called a southern state is the Census Bureau. Delaware started out as a Middle Colony, then when the US became a new country, Delaware became a Middle State. There was slavery in both the North and the South at least once during the US history.

Old 11-11-2014, 11:23 PM

2,420 posts, read 1,239,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppethammer26 View Post
I never heard of Delaware being called a southern state at least once until I been to this site. However, I have actually heard of Missouri being called a southern state before City-Data. I did check the histories of both states and Missouri had a southern past, being supposed to be part of the Confederacy and a slave state, but not Delaware. The only place/organization/person I could think of Delaware ever being called a southern state is the Census Bureau. Delaware started out as a Middle Colony, then when the US became a new country, Delaware became a Middle State. There was slavery in both the North and the South at least once during the US history.
I'm not sure about all of the detail of the Mason Dixon Line, but I think it only involved MD and PA (and it wasn't officially a north-south division line). However, since many people still use the Mason Dixon as a north-south divider, and Delaware is outside (east) of the Mason Dixon line, it doesn't get 'dragged down" South as much as Maryland does. Plus, as others have mentioned, the most populous part of the state (Wilmington region) is unequivocally part of the Philadelphia region (clearly North East). If you just look at a map or even US history, you would think that whatever geographic region Maryland is considered, Delaware should be the same, but because of the above more people consider Delaware a northern state (there is a lot less debate about it as compare to Maryland).

Old 11-12-2014, 02:41 PM

4,801 posts, read 3,475,804 times
Quote:
As this century? As of 10 years ago? Like you are doing saying so because everybody else says so? Nah I'll stick to facts. Virginia is not a border state lol get a clue. And quit bothering me. Go waste your time on someone who will listen to your nonsense. You are on ignore now so don't bother replying.
Wait, if VA is not a Border State, then you are conceding that Maryland is indeed the South.

Because if you truly believed MD was Northeastern, then Virginia would absolutely be a border state.

Old 11-12-2014, 05:27 PM

8,390 posts, read 9,990,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Wait, if VA is not a Border State, then you are conceding that Maryland is indeed the South.

Because if you truly believed MD was Northeastern, then Virginia would absolutely be a border state.
Virginia is not a border state. Northern Virginia is the transition zone. West Virginia is the only true border state in the US.

Old 11-12-2014, 05:28 PM

194 posts, read 165,866 times
Quote:

You don't know what I believe. Indiana is a Midwestern state and Kentucky is a Southern state. It's possible for two states from different regions to touch each other. Border states are a thing of the past. There are states that have regions in them with transitional zones but all states lean one way or the other today. Being such an intellectual it's surprising you still think we are in the Civil War. Go waste your time on someone willing to listen to your nonsense.

Old 11-12-2014, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Virginia is not a border state. Northern Virginia is the transition zone. West Virginia is the only true border state in the US.
I was replying to ball freak's assertion that MD is Northeastern, yet VA is not a border state. Well if it borders a Northeastern state how is it not a border state? What defines a border state?

Old 11-12-2014, 05:30 PM

Quote:
You don't know what I believe. Indiana is a Midwestern state and Kentucky is a Southern state. It's possible for two states from different regions to touch each other. Border states are a thing of the past. There are states that have regions in them with transitional zones but all states lean one way or the other today. Being such an intellectual it's surprising you still think we are in the Civil War. Go waste your time on someone willing to listen to your nonsense.
You seem to take the internet very personally. Is your skin that thin that a discussion over whether a state is Southern hurts you that much?

Old 11-12-2014, 06:22 PM

8,390 posts, read 9,990,725 times
Quote:
I was replying to ball freak's assertion that MD is Northeastern, yet VA is not a border state. Well if it borders a Northeastern state how is it not a border state? What defines a border state?
Ball freak's assertion was correct. Apparently you're the one who's not getting it. Virginia is not a border state because aside from the Northern Virginia area which are basically DC suburbs, the rest of Virginia is solidly southern. Maryland is not a Southern state. Also Eastern Shore Maryland is not Southern, it's Mid-Atlantic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or