U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2014, 07:34 PM

1,524 posts, read 2,152,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
LOL Massachusetts

Less than half of White Marylanders are Democrat. Comparing MD to MA is a joke.

You know those Baltimoreans, on par with Bostonians. Why, they even sound alike!

By the way, yeah, I think DC and Baltimore are soooooooooooooooo rural.

MD white voters 56% Obama - Massachusetts white voters 56% Obama. Sorry, I'll take the word of the southerner who has actually lived in both MA and MD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 07:49 PM

31 posts, read 28,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
LOL Massachusetts

Less than half of White Marylanders are Democrat. Comparing MD to MA is a joke.

You know those Baltimoreans, on par with Bostonians. Why, they even sound alike!

By the way, yeah, I think DC and Baltimore are soooooooooooooooo rural.
I have lived nearly a decade or more in both of these states. What about you? As an actual southerner who has lived in both of these places I can say unequivocably that maryland is more like massachussetts in the far north than a place like Alabama in the deep south. Maryland is just the lower half of the north like new jersey and pennsylvania and delaware. Now I apologize if this flies in the face of what you want maryland to be. But it is usually agreed almost across the board that maryland is the northeast, with only a few saying otherwise. I have not said that baltimore is the same thing as boston. Of course not they are different cities. But a place like baltimore is about as southern as columbus ohio aka generally northern. Where I lived and worked for most of time in md was a town called towson and it resembles a small town in massachussetts much much more than town in the north carolina where I am from. For my last two years I lived in ellicott city which is unequivocally a northern town. I can tell for sure that you aren't a southerner and also aren't from the northeast and haven't lived in md or ma either. Sometimes things look a certain way online but It would be wise to actually live in these places before passing judgements. So at the end of the day maryland is northern, period. I don't see the obsession with trying to make it into a southern state so that's all i'm going to say about it - god bless.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:06 PM

3,556 posts, read 2,327,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeinScotts View Post
I have lived nearly a decade or more in both of these states. What about you? As an actual southerner who has lived in both of these places I can say unequivocably that maryland is more like massachussetts in the far north than a place like Alabama in the deep south. Maryland is just the lower half of the north like new jersey and pennsylvania and delaware. Now I apologize if this flies in the face of what you want maryland to be. But it is usually agreed almost across the board that maryland is the northeast, with only a few saying otherwise. I have not said that baltimore is the same thing as boston. Of course not they are different cities. But a place like baltimore is about as southern as columbus ohio aka generally northern. Where I lived and worked for most of time in md was a town called towson and it resembles a small town in massachussetts much much more than town in the north carolina where I am from. For my last two years I lived in ellicott city which is unequivocally a northern town. I can tell for sure that you aren't a southerner and also aren't from the northeast and haven't lived in md or ma either. Sometimes things look a certain way online but It would be wise to actually live in these places before passing judgements. So at the end of the day maryland is northern, period. I don't see the obsession with trying to make it into a southern state so that's all i'm going to say about it - god bless.
How you feel doesn't matter. You can "feel" that any state is of any region and in the end it wouldn't matter. To deny MD southern roots is to deny history.

Old 11-12-2014, 11:46 PM

6,212 posts, read 7,044,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ball freak View Post
all of this is strictly your opinion. If you can't see the forest for the trees not my problem. Philadelphia does not have southern dialect and neither does most of maryland. Last time i checked sweet tea wasn't a big thing in maryland either. Louisiana is not strictly french culture either it is southern fused with cajun creole and french elements. You obviously won't listen to anyone but you so i'm through wasting my time on you. If you want to make believe maryland is a southern state today thats your problem. And modern times mean everything with maryland. You honestly mean to tell me states cant change regional identities after a certain period of time? This is especially false for historic border states. Anyway you are a waste of my time so begone.
+2

Old 11-13-2014, 04:48 AM

5,292 posts, read 5,281,959 times
Look, I was born and raised in Baltimore, Maryland. Lived and visited many counties, neighborhoods and enclaves around the state.

Maryland borderline is Mid-Atlantic and Southern REDNECK and BLACKNECK (Black folks who act like rednecks)!

Old 11-13-2014, 04:52 AM

"Maryland is just the lower half of the north like new jersey and pennsylvania and delaware. Now I apologize if this flies in the face of what you want maryland to be."

*Ever been to southern New Jersey??!! Rednecks..not southern, but redneck country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeinScotts View Post

Old 11-13-2014, 04:54 AM

My cousin attended Salisbury State University back in the 80's, she said that the attitudes and behaviors of the locals down there reminded her of Alabama and Mississippi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Ball freak's assertion was correct. Apparently you're the one who's not getting it. Virginia is not a border state because aside from the Northern Virginia area which are basically DC suburbs, the rest of Virginia is solidly southern. Maryland is not a Southern state. Also Eastern Shore Maryland is not Southern, it's Mid-Atlantic.

Old 11-13-2014, 09:42 AM

582 posts, read 740,956 times
People aren't trying to say MD is like Alabama, they're trying to say it's like the upper coastal south, like the Tidewater and Outer Banks. Which is a completely reasonable comparison for at least 40% of the state, in my opinion.

Old 11-13-2014, 10:57 AM

6,212 posts, read 7,044,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post
People aren't trying to say MD is like Alabama, they're trying to say it's like the upper coastal south, like the Tidewater and Outer Banks. Which is a completely reasonable comparison for at least 40% of the state, in my opinion.
Seems like a mix between those two and the Delaware coast over on the Eastern Shore.

Old 11-13-2014, 11:33 AM

4,564 posts, read 7,630,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Seems like a mix between those two and the Delaware coast over on the Eastern Shore.
That is the point. The state has so many regions, why would the Eastern Shore of MD, the Eastern Shore of VA, and Lower Delaware not be the same region? does the Eastern Shore of VA become part of the north because it is like the lower shore of MD, which some claim is a northern area?

There is almost a 100% correlation between the people that argue hard northern identity, and living in the I-95 corridor. Nearly everyone for anywhere else in the state leans border state or South-lite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or