U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-08-2014, 04:15 PM
 
1 posts, read 733 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

That's a bunch of carp about the pizza I lived in MD my whole life and never heard of it,also y'all must not under stand southern. Just cuz we don't have country songs about us doesn't mean we ain't southern.we are south of the mason Dixon line therefore we are southerners. Some stuff people say about us and Yankees offends me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-08-2014, 04:36 PM
 
4,801 posts, read 3,462,820 times
Reputation: 2568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball freak View Post
Ok so I was wrong about New York but I was correct about Pennsylvania so nice try.
So you have ONE Northeast state to fall back on as proof that Maryland is Northeastern? How is using Pennsylvania Dutch people as an example work for Maryland? Germans in Maryland tend to be Catholic and aren't from the same branch of German that is common in Pennsylvania. So culturally, the Germans of Maryland aren't like the Germans of Pennsylvania. So no, not Northeastern. You could make the case that a "whopping" 15.7% of Maryland's population makes it less Southern, but I showed you 3 Southern states that have German populations in the teens. All of them are border states just like Maryland. Why do you ignore this? Besides which, even if Germans make Maryland less Southern, how do they make it Northeastern? Especially when their high presence in those 3 counties make Maryland more REPUBLICAN? So, your argument cancels itself out because you use both the ethnic makeup AND political argument, both of which don't make your case.

Maryland's Germans =/= Pennsylvania Dutch, and furthermore, it looks like Maryland's Germans are Republican, a political party not associated with the heavy Democrat Northeast. Funny how the "Northeastern" ethnic group is also very Southern in their politics. Not that I see how being prominent in ONE state in the Northeast makes Germans Northeastern.

Quote:
Face it. You've lost. German is certainly proof Maryland isn't Southern.
Yes. A whopping 15.7% of the state's population is proof that it's not Southern. Compare that to the 29% Blacks that are in the state. Of course, the ethnic argument only works when it's in YOUR favor. Guess having almost double the Blacks than Germans means that MD is Southern 2:1, because if the Southern ethnic group beats out the "Northeastern" ethnic group (which you haven't proven how CATHOLIC Germans are Northeastern like an isolated group in Pennsylvania which isn't prominent in the rest of the Northeast).

Quote:
The 1997 dialect studies prove most of Maryland isn't Southern.
Except they don't prove that it's Northeastern, either. You could make the case that it's a MIDLAND dialect since those maps show circles around the South and the Northeast.

Quote:
Quit your rambling it's unbecoming of you. Civil War monuments have nothing to do with culture from a modern standpoint. Maryland sent more Union regiments to fight for the state than Confederate.
Maryland also was very much NOT supportive of Lincoln. Their state song proves it. Ya know, the state song that NO Northeastern state would ever DARE have.

Quote:
Cuisine,
Like chicken boxes? Pit beef? Crab cakes from the Southernmost culturally area of the state????

Quote:
religion,
I will grant you that Catholics are less prominent in the South. However this is not a proof text of Maryland's lack of Southern culture, as one of the most culturally Southern counties (St. Mary's) is also the most Catholic. It doesn't seem to affect Maryland in a way that makes them Northeastern. Kind of how people in Louisiana aren't Northeastern.

Quote:
social events, etc. are what define a city's culture.
What social events make Maryland Northeastern?

Quote:
Up until sweet tea moved out of the South it was largely absent in most of Maryland to my knowledge.
Interesting. This Maryland man's recollection is slightly different:

Quote:
Most people recall growing up with peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and a cold class of milk. Then again, most people didn’t grow up in Annapolis. Brian’s equivalent of the PBJ?
Iced tea, sweet as hell, and a white-bread soft crab sandwich, with the legs splayed out the sides like a spider and a tomato right out of the garden.”
From: Regional Favorites: Maryland Cuisine | The Feed


Let's also not forget famous Maryland Fried Chicken.


Quote:
I'm sorry but to say all Jews are liberal is terribly inaccurate. Just look at Ben Bernanke. I happen to be one and I'm moderate. The fact is you lost the political argument.
Ugh...oh boy. Here we go again. Do you ever realize that internet is chock full of information you can use to prove your point? You'd think with the advent of Google this would teach you a thing or two. But no.

Jewish views and involvement in US politics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Polls indicate during this election, 83% of white Jews voted for Obama compared to just 34% of white Protestants and 47% of white Catholics
Quote:
Yes it has a lot of blacks which is a Southern trait but much of that could owe to Washington being the political capital of this country.
Not sure what that means. Care to elaborate? I mean, its blacks outnumber Germans (you know, the Republicans) almost 2:1.

Quote:
I can tell you're getting frustrated so I'll just leave you to the rest of the wolves on here.
Yes because a man who gets frustrated posts facts to prove his point, not throws his hands in the air and says "I'm done with you!" every seven posts. Yep, you're a shining example of maintaining calm in disagreement.

Quote:
The point is tons of Jews would have to flock to Virginia to get the white votes numbers up and those demographics aren't there right now.
So stay with the idea that ethnicity makes a place Northeastern. Be consistent, though. Why don't you apply that logic and call Florida Northeastern? It has way more Jews than Virginia (even has more Jews than Maryland) and it's White Democrat voters are almost in the 40% range, just like Maryland. So why the double standard?

By the way, the same Jews who live in Baltimore, know where they live:

Quote:
Baltimore's Jewish community evolved as a small, insular, but relatively wealthy minority community in a southern city, and its institutions today reflect this history.
http://www.faithandorganizations.umd...associated.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2014, 05:29 PM
 
2,893 posts, read 3,408,368 times
Reputation: 4072
The Red Cross has reserved post number 1500 of this thread for emergency treatment of anyone who reads it head to toe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2014, 06:03 PM
 
Location: Cumberland
4,566 posts, read 7,640,867 times
Reputation: 2790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball freak View Post
You really donT get it. It is a northeastern state by dialect, politics, which is shared only with Northeastern states in most of the state, culture, etc. demographics can be argued both ways, because Pennsylvania and Maryland have a white population predominantly German American. No place in the south has that. Why is it a problem for Maryland if people have no problem with Pennsylvania? you just don't know when quit do you. You Eddieolskool and Richard Martin have fun living in your fantasy world. If you think Maryland is Southern, you don't know what the South is. And Philadelphians don't have a Southern accent...that comment predates the linguistic maps. If you 3 can't accept the facts, not my problem. Goodbye.
Incorrect. Look at those maps you talk so much about. Maryland's regions have either Midland or Southern speech. No part of our state is in the Northern dialect region that starts around the Upper Tier of PA/Lower Tier of NY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2014, 06:16 PM
 
Location: Cumberland
4,566 posts, read 7,640,867 times
Reputation: 2790
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
So you have ONE Northeast state to fall back on as proof that Maryland is Northeastern? How is using Pennsylvania Dutch people as an example work for Maryland? Germans in Maryland tend to be Catholic and aren't from the same branch of German that is common in Pennsylvania. So culturally, the Germans of Maryland aren't like the Germans of Pennsylvania. So no, not Northeastern. You could make the case that a "whopping" 15.7% of Maryland's population makes it less Southern, but I showed you 3 Southern states that have German populations in the teens. All of them are border states just like Maryland. Why do you ignore this? Besides which, even if Germans make Maryland less Southern, how do they make it Northeastern? Especially when their high presence in those 3 counties make Maryland more REPUBLICAN? So, your argument cancels itself out because you use both the ethnic makeup AND political argument, both of which don't make your case.

Maryland's Germans =/= Pennsylvania Dutch, and furthermore, it looks like Maryland's Germans are Republican, a political party not associated with the heavy Democrat Northeast. Funny how the "Northeastern" ethnic group is also very Southern in their politics. Not that I see how being prominent in ONE state in the Northeast makes Germans Northeastern.

Yes. A whopping 15.7% of the state's population is proof that it's not Southern. Compare that to the 29% Blacks that are in the state. Of course, the ethnic argument only works when it's in YOUR favor. Guess having almost double the Blacks than Germans means that MD is Southern 2:1, because if the Southern ethnic group beats out the "Northeastern" ethnic group (which you haven't proven how CATHOLIC Germans are Northeastern like an isolated group in Pennsylvania which isn't prominent in the rest of the Northeast).

Except they don't prove that it's Northeastern, either. You could make the case that it's a MIDLAND dialect since those maps show circles around the South and the Northeast.

Maryland also was very much NOT supportive of Lincoln. Their state song proves it. Ya know, the state song that NO Northeastern state would ever DARE have.

Like chicken boxes? Pit beef? Crab cakes from the Southernmost culturally area of the state????

I will grant you that Catholics are less prominent in the South. However this is not a proof text of Maryland's lack of Southern culture, as one of the most culturally Southern counties (St. Mary's) is also the most Catholic. It doesn't seem to affect Maryland in a way that makes them Northeastern. Kind of how people in Louisiana aren't Northeastern.

What social events make Maryland Northeastern?

Interesting. This Maryland man's recollection is slightly different:


From: Regional Favorites: Maryland Cuisine | The Feed


Let's also not forget famous Maryland Fried Chicken.



Ugh...oh boy. Here we go again. Do you ever realize that internet is chock full of information you can use to prove your point? You'd think with the advent of Google this would teach you a thing or two. But no.

Jewish views and involvement in US politics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not sure what that means. Care to elaborate? I mean, its blacks outnumber Germans (you know, the Republicans) almost 2:1.

Yes because a man who gets frustrated posts facts to prove his point, not throws his hands in the air and says "I'm done with you!" every seven posts. Yep, you're a shining example of maintaining calm in disagreement.

So stay with the idea that ethnicity makes a place Northeastern. Be consistent, though. Why don't you apply that logic and call Florida Northeastern? It has way more Jews than Virginia (even has more Jews than Maryland) and it's White Democrat voters are almost in the 40% range, just like Maryland. So why the double standard?

By the way, the same Jews who live in Baltimore, know where they live:



http://www.faithandorganizations.umd...associated.pdf

Maryland has both kinds of Germans. Being so close to the Mason-Dixon line + both the Cumberland Narrows and Great Valley being gateways to the west means Maryland (at least the counties that border PA) have significant Palatine German populations. If memory serves, Frederick was nearly a majority German speaking city during the Revolutionary War. Hagerstown is named after Jonathan Hager, an early German immigrant and inn owner. There are lots of German Lutheran churches in Western Maryland, and significant Mennonite and Amish populations.

We also have the '48ers. They tend to be Catholic, from Southern Germany, and settled in more urbanized areas as they were largely displaced industrial workers who were a bit too far left for Metternich's reactionary schemes to keep unpopular, totalitarian monarchs in charge of Europe.

I have ancestors from both great lines........although I claim the German Catholic heritage, as I am Catholic through that branch of my family, and attended to German-Catholic parish in Cumberland until all 4 of our parishes were consolidated into one, and my old home parish was declared a shrine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2014, 08:26 PM
 
Location: Greenville, NC
2,052 posts, read 4,853,976 times
Reputation: 1119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball freak View Post
Yes I have smart one and I disagree with you strongly. You're confusing Southern with country. I've been to Norfolk and Richmond and those two cities are culturally and linguistically Southern. Maryland is not the same way. The only parts of Maryland that are Southern today is the Eastern shore and Southern Maryland. Western Maryland is not the South. Richmond and Norfolk are every bit as southern as Charlotte and Raleigh. All of those cities are culturally and linguistically Southern. If you think cities in North Carolina aren't Southern I guess there is no South. What's next? Atlanta isn't Southern? You people on here make me laugh. None of those cities have lost their Southern identity. There is no way in hell I'm going to believe Charlotte and Richmond have more in common with New York than Jackson, Mississippi. It's not supported by linguistics, demographics, or culture. Please come prepared with details instead of just making bland statements that can't be supported by evidence.
Just as your view cannot be supported by evidence. Really dude, I live in NC, I see it every day. I can absolutely introduce you to some hardcore Southern good old boys but they are slowly disappearing. Do you know that the county I live in voted for Barack Obama not once but twice? In Greenville 1 in 3 residents has a Bachelors degree or higher.

Like I said, the rural areas are still solidly Southern, the metro areas, not so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2014, 10:28 AM
 
56 posts, read 57,577 times
Reputation: 58
Kill this thread Maryland is part of the lower northeast just like Delaware.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2014, 10:39 AM
 
Location: Oxford, CT
3,556 posts, read 2,331,226 times
Reputation: 2903
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCK29 View Post
Kill this thread Maryland is part of the lower northeast just like Delaware.
History and reality say otherwise. Keep on with your delusion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2014, 10:48 AM
 
Location: Greenville, NC
2,052 posts, read 4,853,976 times
Reputation: 1119
This is what happens when you mix 2 different cultures just like is in Maryland. This picture was taken this morning in Edgewater, MD. The truck is a diesel.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2014, 11:04 AM
 
194 posts, read 165,514 times
Reputation: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
History and reality say otherwise. Keep on with your delusion.
I'm only chiming in because your posts and eddieolskool are too easy to refute.History may be on your side, but not for much of the twentieth century, and reality? Let's see. Linguistics group it in with the lower Northeast. Maryland's white population is as liberal as Pennsylvania and Delaware. The majority of white Marylanders per county are of German decent. And Pennsylvania's German population is both Catholic and Pennsylvania Dutch. Eddieolskool's that Most Germans in Pennsylvania aren't Catholic is ridiculous just look up the 2000 map of Catholics per county. If the counties are majority German and majority Catholic then it stands to reason there are large amounts of German Catholics in Pennsylvania. No Southern state has whites that are predominantly German and Catholic except maybe Florida and anybody with common sense knows that Whites in Florida haven't been predominantly German and Catholic for very long and Florida like Texas has large amounts of Latinos. Culturally the Northeast is also known for seafood dishes anyone forgetting Maine? And sweet tea up until recently to my knowledge wasn't something found in most of Maryland's restaurants certainly it wasn't for Missouri. Go on living in your fantasy that Maryland is the south from a modern standpoint and that Virginia is being yankified. Outside of Northern Virginia there is nothing Northeastern about Virginia. You can't deny any of what I just said unless your ignorant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top