U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2014, 10:15 AM

3,556 posts, read 2,327,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball freak View Post
I'm only chiming in because your posts and eddieolskool are too easy to refute.History may be on your side, but not for much of the twentieth century, and reality? Let's see. Linguistics group it in with the lower Northeast. Maryland's white population is as liberal as Pennsylvania and Delaware. The majority of white Marylanders per county are of German decent. And Pennsylvania's German population is both Catholic and Pennsylvania Dutch. Eddieolskool's that Most Germans in Pennsylvania aren't Catholic is ridiculous just look up the 2000 map of Catholics per county. If the counties are majority German and majority Catholic then it stands to reason there are large amounts of German Catholics in Pennsylvania. No Southern state has whites that are predominantly German and Catholic except maybe Florida and anybody with common sense knows that Whites in Florida haven't been predominantly German and Catholic for very long and Florida like Texas has large amounts of Latinos. Culturally the Northeast is also known for seafood dishes anyone forgetting Maine? And sweet tea up until recently to my knowledge wasn't something found in most of Maryland's restaurants certainly it wasn't for Missouri. Go on living in your fantasy that Maryland is the south from a modern standpoint and that Virginia is being yankified. Outside of Northern Virginia there is nothing Northeastern about Virginia. You can't deny any of what I just said unless your ignorant.
Your explanations have already been thoroughly refuted and you've already said you were done talking to us about 7 times now. So keep on wasting your time.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 10:23 AM

194 posts, read 165,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Your explanations have already been thoroughly refuted and you've already said you were done talking to us about 7 times now. So keep on wasting your time.
Thoroughly refuted lmao nOne of that is refutable so keep on thinking that. You're wasting time by speculating Virginia will become a Northern state when there is zero proof of that outside of NOVA unless you listen to Richard Martin's unsupported claims. Speculating is for people who want to buy futures in the stock market, not for people like you. And like buying futures if you don't know what you are doing you will get burned just like you're getting burned now.

Old 12-10-2014, 10:44 AM

4,564 posts, read 7,630,675 times
Quote:
I'm only chiming in because your posts and eddieolskool are too easy to refute.History may be on your side, but not for much of the twentieth century, and reality? Let's see. Linguistics group it in with the lower Northeast. Maryland's white population is as liberal as Pennsylvania and Delaware. The majority of white Marylanders per county are of German decent. And Pennsylvania's German population is both Catholic and Pennsylvania Dutch. Eddieolskool's that Most Germans in Pennsylvania aren't Catholic is ridiculous just look up the 2000 map of Catholics per county. If the counties are majority German and majority Catholic then it stands to reason there are large amounts of German Catholics in Pennsylvania. No Southern state has whites that are predominantly German and Catholic except maybe Florida and anybody with common sense knows that Whites in Florida haven't been predominantly German and Catholic for very long and Florida like Texas has large amounts of Latinos. Culturally the Northeast is also known for seafood dishes anyone forgetting Maine? And sweet tea up until recently to my knowledge wasn't something found in most of Maryland's restaurants certainly it wasn't for Missouri. Go on living in your fantasy that Maryland is the south from a modern standpoint and that Virginia is being yankified. Outside of Northern Virginia there is nothing Northeastern about Virginia. You can't deny any of what I just said unless your ignorant.
Movin' the goal posts, eh?

Maryland is in the MIDLAND and SOUTHERN dialect regions. These regions do not extend further north than the upper tier of PA on the east coast. Linguistics can be used to group Maryland with PA and the parts of NJ that are influenced by Philly.....but not with states further north.

So, you can use linguistics to call Maryland "Mid-Atlantic." But our dialect is NOT the same as the undisputed Northeastern states, like NY and New England. Try as hard as you like, the dispute is really over Southern vs. Mid-Atlantic identity. If you want to call Mid-Atlantic culture "Northern" I would say say OK, since PA was a union state. To call the Mid-Atlantic "the lower North East" is little more than a semantic trick. We could just as well call it "the top of the Upper South." Neither term means anything other than "this is a border region,".......which is what I have been saying all along. Unwittingly you are agreeing with me.

I take it as a compliment that you don't respond to my posts, but you need to at minimum read and process them.

Old 12-10-2014, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Movin' the goal posts, eh?

Maryland is in the MIDLAND and SOUTHERN dialect regions. These regions do not extend further north than the upper tier of PA on the east coast. Linguistics can be used to group Maryland with PA and the parts of NJ that are influenced by Philly.....but not with states further north.

So, you can use linguistics to call Maryland "Mid-Atlantic." But our dialect is NOT the same as the undisputed Northeastern states, like NY and New England. Try as hard as you like, the dispute is really over Southern vs. Mid-Atlantic identity. If you want to call Mid-Atlantic culture "Northern" I would say say OK, since PA was a union state. To call the Mid-Atlantic "the lower North East" is little more than a semantic trick. We could just as well call it "the top of the Upper South." Neither term means anything other than "this is a border region,".......which is what I have been saying all along. Unwittingly you are agreeing with me.

I take it as a compliment that you don't respond to my posts, but you need to at minimum read and process them.
Here's a response. Most of Maryland doesn't speak with a Southern dialect. The Midland dialect as you call it is found only in the lower Northeast, aka areas that are culturally, politically, for the most part, and notice I say for the most part because there are exceptions, demographically not like the South and more akin to the Northeast. There is no disputing Philadelphia as a Northeastern city. Baltimore is a mere 50 miles to the south of the Pennsylvania border. And that Midland dialect is distinct from a Southern dialect. And you shouldn't talk it as a compliment. Normally your responses aren't worth my time. Maryland from a modern standpoint has far more in common with lower Northeast states like Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Delaware than with Virginia outside of NOVA and North Carolina.

Old 12-10-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Thoroughly refuted lmao nOne of that is refutable so keep on thinking that. You're wasting time by speculating Virginia will become a Northern state when there is zero proof of that outside of NOVA unless you listen to Richard Martin's unsupported claims. Speculating is for people who want to buy futures in the stock market, not for people like you. And like buying futures if you don't know what you are doing you will get burned just like you're getting burned now.
You keep thinking that

Post above me says it all. Maryland is mid-atlantic at best and that's all you'll be able to get. My claim that Virginia will move into the northeast is perfectly sound. The state has been becoming less and less like it's other southern states.

If the fact that Maryland is more like the north than it is the south is good enough for that state, then it's good enough for any state. You've said so yourself that you would move any state that met the same changes as Maryland into the northeastern region which means, in time, more states will exit the south.

Your nuts if you think Nova is the only thing supporting this idea.

Does Virginia still feel Southern? Not so much. | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

Many people feel that Virginia has lost it's southern touch in MANY areas. Over time, this will be less and less like the south and more like the... wait for it... NORTH

Now obviously there is no way to make the argument that Virginia is NOT the south, but it is easy to see how it's less like the south than it was say 50 years ago. The same is true of Maryland, over time the state has lost it's southern identity. It doesn't take more than a few brain cells to see this.

Maryland is more like the north than it is the south yes
Maryland however is still not a northern state and will not ever be until some sort of move of regional lines (it's been done hundreds of times in the past, get to it if you want to be part of the "northeast").

If you move Maryland though, better get ready to move the next "non southern" state in 50-100 years or less.

Old 12-10-2014, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Here's a response. Most of Maryland doesn't speak with a Southern dialect. The Midland dialect as you call it is found only in the lower Northeast, aka areas that are culturally, politically, for the most part, and notice I say for the most part because there are exceptions, demographically not like the South and more akin to the Northeast. There is no disputing Philadelphia as a Northeastern city. Baltimore is a mere 50 miles to the south of the Pennsylvania border. And that Midland dialect is distinct from a Southern dialect.
Got to draw the line somewhere.

I have family in Maryland and family in PA. Maryland sounds nothing like New York and nothing like New England. PA is a massive state with varying accents throughout so it would be tough to use PA as the reason why a state even further south is Northeastern. PA stretches all the way to freaken Ohio and drops into West Virginia.

WV! Hey how about that... WV touches PA too, guess we can start to talk about WV being the next to join our glorious northeastern region

Old 12-10-2014, 11:16 AM

Quote:
You keep thinking that

Post above me says it all. Maryland is mid-atlantic at best and that's all you'll be able to get. My claim that Virginia will move into the northeast is perfectly sound. The state has been becoming less and less like it's other southern states.

If the fact that Maryland is more like the north than it is the south is good enough for that state, then it's good enough for any state. You've said so yourself that you would move any state that met the same changes as Maryland into the northeastern region which means, in time, more states will exit the south.

Your nuts if you think Nova is the only thing supporting this idea.

Does Virginia still feel Southern? Not so much. | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

Many people feel that Virginia has lost it's southern touch in MANY areas. Over time, this will be less and less like the south and more like the... wait for it... NORTH

Now obviously there is no way to make the argument that Virginia is NOT the south, but it is easy to see how it's less like the south than it was say 50 years ago. The same is true of Maryland, over time the state has lost it's southern identity. It doesn't take more than a few brain cells to see this.

Maryland is more like the north than it is the south yes
Maryland however is still not a northern state and will not ever be until some sort of move of regional lines (it's been done hundreds of times in the past, get to it if you want to be part of the "northeast").

If you move Maryland though, better get ready to move the next "non southern" state in 50-100 years or less.
Sorry but if a state is more Northern than it is Southern it's Northern unless it's a 50 50 split. You still haven't proved how demographically, culturally, or linguistically Virginia outside of NOVA is any less Southern than it ever was because you can't. How can you know if your speculation is sound when you can't predict the future? Your ego needs a reality check. You're getting more beaten up the harder you try. Please stop before you hurt yourself. The South as a whole region is not disappearing. Oh wait I forgot Richard Martin thinks Charlotte is more like Boston than Atlanta. Lol all of you live in a fantasy world. Until your speculation comes to fruition don't act like you're right because in reality you have no clue. So pathetic.

Old 12-10-2014, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Sorry but if a state is more Northern than it is Southern it's Northern unless it's a 50 50 split. You still haven't proved how demographically, culturally, or linguistically Virginia is any less Southern than it ever was because you can't. How can you know if your speculation is sound when you can't predict the future? Your ego needs a reality check. You're getting more beaten up the harder you try. Please stop before you hurt yourself.
Being northern or southern is not based on what the state "feels" like in terms of virtually anything. CT can become Alabama in 50 years for all I care and it wouldn't suddenly be the south any more than Maryland would suddenly be the north.

The fact that you can't understand your own logic demonstrates your ignorance.

Old 12-10-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Got to draw the line somewhere.

I have family in Maryland and family in PA. Maryland sounds nothing like New York and nothing like New England. PA is a massive state with varying accents throughout so it would be tough to use PA as the reason why a state even further south is Northeastern. PA stretches all the way to freaken Ohio and drops into West Virginia.

WV! Hey how about that... WV touches PA too, guess we can start to talk about WV being the next to join our glorious northeastern region
You just admitted Maryland is more northern than southern so it can be used as a basis. The part of West Virginia Pennsylvania touches isn't Southern. And Southeast and Southwest Pennsylvania, which Most of Maryland is the most similar to, is almost universally considered the Northeast so how can it not be used as a basis to say Maryland is the Northeast. You really don't like being wrong do you. Get used to it. You've admitted Maryland is more Northeastern than Southern, you just have first and goal until you've completely contradicted yourself. Better get the popcorn for this one.

Old 12-10-2014, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Being northern or southern is not based on what the state "feels" like in terms of virtually anything. CT can become Alabama in 50 years for all I care and it wouldn't suddenly be the south any more than Maryland would suddenly be the north.

The fact that you can't understand your own logic demonstrates your ignorance.
You're the one contradicting yourself not me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or