U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-11-2014, 06:12 PM
 
Location: Cumberland
4,566 posts, read 7,645,106 times
Reputation: 2790

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Some of the most powerful truths are tautological.

At any rate, I'm not sure what law exists that says a region must have a unifying culture. The Northeast and the Midwest certainly do not have one. The Midwest is the Midwest because of its geography and history (largely the old Northwest Territory). New England and the Middle Colonies became the Northeast. Everything below became the American South and many of the upper South states were eventually forged out of existing southern states (Virginia and North Carolina). This is all laid out in the Census Regions history I posted.

So it's not a matter of folks going around and "constructing regions." These distinctions--in terms of the regions--have existed since the 19th Century.
You are going to have to explain that one to me in the context of this discussion. I know the term is used in logic for truths like the law of excluded middle (something is either A or not A,) but I use the term more in debating sense, where it is a logical fallacy to define something by using that same something. In the context of our conversation I think the rhetorical definition makes more sense.

There are no laws that state a region must have a unifying culture. Take, for instance, geographic regions. There is no consistent culture that spans the entire Rocky Mountain range from Canada to Mexico, but we can say there is a Rocky Mountain region, it is just defined by geography.

Again, it just comes down to how you want to look at it. Maryland being the Census designated South is constantly shot down as a reason to say "Maryland is part of the South." Likewise the Mason-Dixon demarcation is treated the same. That is all I am really doing with PA, looking a bit past where a governmental agency or popular nomenclature draws the line and seeing if it makes sense when you examine other cultural artifacts. I focus on Linguistics because I know it pretty well, and the history of American culture follows dialect pretty consistently.

I know personally I build my identity from the ground up. I am a Cumberlander first, a Western Marylander second, an Appalachian-America third, a Marylander fourth, an American fifth, and lastly a citizen of the world. I take the same approach to regionalism. I build them up based on small units first, and tend to see the more sweeping regional definitions as unsatisfactory unless they follow as natural grouping of smaller regions.

Last edited by westsideboy; 12-11-2014 at 06:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-11-2014, 07:56 PM
 
56 posts, read 57,599 times
Reputation: 58
Maryland hasn't been part of the Southern States in generations today it's own region the Mid Atlantic. It's best quit going back and forward with Banjo Yankee and No'school Eddie B.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2014, 07:57 PM
 
194 posts, read 165,551 times
Reputation: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
This double standard of yours is very interesting. First you say that MD is like the Northeast BECAUSE of culture, but now you concede that the Northeast isn't uniform in culture. So you practically refuted your reasoning for MD being Northeastern based on culture.
You're struggling for air and I can see it. Maryland is like the LOWER northeast which is similar but not identical to the mid and upper northeast. Any last words?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2014, 08:04 PM
 
194 posts, read 165,551 times
Reputation: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCK29 View Post
Maryland hasn't been part of the Southern States in generations today it's own region the Mid Atlantic. It's best quit going back and forward with Banjo Yankee and No'school Eddie B.
The voice of reason speaks. Throw wolf and Westsideboy in there as well. The Four Muskateers. Fighting to keep the South alive in a state where it has long since died in most of its parts. Such a noble cause. Too bad it's all in vain. I also can't see any of Westsideboy's posts. Yet he wastes his time posting anyway. Pathetic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2014, 08:25 PM
 
Location: Cumberland
4,566 posts, read 7,645,106 times
Reputation: 2790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball freak View Post
The voice of reason speaks. Throw wolf and Westsideboy in there as well. The Four Muskateers. Fighting to keep the South alive in a state where it has long since died in most of its parts. Such a noble cause. Too bad it's all in vain. I also can't see any of Westsideboy's posts. Yet he wastes his time posting anyway. Pathetic.
If you blocked my posts, then you blinked.

If you didn't block my posts and are pretending you are, then you blinked.

Thanks for the entertainment, I wish I could say the same for the debate. Oh well, on to more capable opponents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2014, 08:27 PM
 
4,801 posts, read 3,465,243 times
Reputation: 2568
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
If you blocked my posts, then you blinked.

If you didn't block my posts and are pretending you are, then you blinked.

Thanks for the entertainment, I wish I could say the same for the debate. Oh well, on to more capable opponents.
Hey Ball freak,

See this post, blinky?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2014, 10:13 PM
 
Location: PG County, MD
582 posts, read 742,113 times
Reputation: 347
I do have to at least somewhat agree with Westsideboy. I certainly think of PA being in the NE, but the dialect, settlement patterns, etc. don't really resemble anything north of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2014, 03:11 AM
 
194 posts, read 165,551 times
Reputation: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post
I do have to at least somewhat agree with Westsideboy. I certainly think of PA being in the NE, but the dialect, settlement patterns, etc. don't really resemble anything north of it.
Upstate New York is a carbon copy of Pennsylvania as far as dialect goes and settlement patterns are not all that dissimilar. Upstate New York has a large German population and Eastern Pennsylvania has demographics which fit in perfectly with the Northeast. I should also mention I can't see any of Eddienoskool's posts either. All these people continue posting when I can't read what they are posting. Either they have no brains or they like to pretend I care what they have to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2014, 07:33 AM
 
Location: Oxford, CT
3,556 posts, read 2,332,092 times
Reputation: 2903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball freak View Post
Upstate New York is a carbon copy of Pennsylvania as far as dialect goes and settlement patterns are not all that dissimilar. Upstate New York has a large German population and Eastern Pennsylvania has demographics which fit in perfectly with the Northeast. I should also mention I can't see any of Eddienoskool's posts either. All these people continue posting when I can't read what they are posting. Either they have no brains or they like to pretend I care what they have to say.


Hahaha

Carbon copy of the massive state of PA huh? Now I know this guy is off his rocker!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2014, 10:02 AM
 
194 posts, read 165,551 times
Reputation: 109
What was that wolf? Can't see your post. I think I've proved my point on here. Some people just don't like it that Maryland is no longer Southern and fits in better with the Northeast today. The strategy is either to claim the South as a whole is disappearing or that the Northeastern states Maryland is like actually aren't the Northeast or to say the Mid Atlantic is a split down the middle between Northeastern and Southern when it shares more commonalities with the rest of the Northeast. Some people just have a problem accepting facts. I know surely none of you can possibly be wrong because every time I win the argument, you stretch the truth rather than admitting defeat. This website is full of hypocrites, four of them Muskateers.

Last edited by Ball freak; 12-12-2014 at 10:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top