U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 09:40 AM

4,562 posts, read 7,623,866 times

Advertisements

Maryland and Secession

Actually, no the Maryland legislature didn't vote for secession. There are some that believe that without pressure from the Federal army, they would have. The book A Southern Star for Maryland outlines this argument
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 11:40 AM

2,892 posts, read 3,400,558 times
I believe that President Lincoln suspended use of the writ of habeas corpus, and had some or most of the Maryland legislature imprisoned so that they could not act against the Union. After the people of Baltimore attacked Massachusetts infantry passing thru the city, Union artillery was put on Federal Hill and aimed at the Maryland Club, which was evidently thought to be a seat of Confederate sympathy. Again, if this is not correct, I hope someone will comment. It's been a really long time since I studied Maryland history . . .

Old 01-24-2011, 01:14 PM

581 posts, read 953,113 times
Culturally, only southern MD and the eastern shore are southern. The DC suburbs, and Baltimore are quite cosmopolitan and feel more northeastern. Western MD is culturally appalachian. Geographically Maryland is mid-atlantic.

Old 01-24-2011, 05:07 PM

2,051 posts, read 4,845,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goindownsouth2011 View Post
Please define "damn yankee" as perceived by those in the deep south. Has the Mason-Dixon Line been replaced by the Potomac River, or are Virginians "damn yankees" also?
It's not even the deep south. You can be called a Damn Yankee in Virginia.

The definition?

A Yankee is someone from the North that comes for a visit.

A Damn Yankee stays.

A G*d Damn Yankee brings his family.

I'm the third one.

You can argue with them about the political differences until you're blue in the face. You'll still be a Damn Yankee if you're from MD.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:36 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,690,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
It's not even the deep south. You can be called a Damn Yankee in Virginia.

The definition?

A Yankee is someone from the North that comes for a visit.

A Damn Yankee stays.

A G*d Damn Yankee brings his family.

I'm the third one.

You can argue with them about the political differences until you're blue in the face. You'll still be a Damn Yankee if you're from MD.
And Yankees is what Jamaicans(and other Caribbeans) call ALL AMERICANS......

Old 01-27-2011, 09:48 AM

3 posts, read 15,572 times
There are alot of folks that would disagree with you! over 30,000 men fought under Lee and were didicated southerners, you need to rerad more, moran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
I agee with Metalhead. Geographically, MD is a southern state. Politically it is definately northern as far as people in the south are concerned. And it doesn't matter whether you're from Hagerstown or St. Marys, you're still a damn yankee down here.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:01 AM

4,562 posts, read 7,623,866 times
Maryland was a split state back in 1865, it is still today, although to a lesser extend due to the expansion of the Federal city. I have found that most native Marylanders acknowlege the border state nature of Maryland, even if they identify with one region over the other.

It seems it is mostly the transplants or people that live outside the state that are SO SURE it is one or the other. It feels great to be defined by others doesn't it?

Old 01-27-2011, 10:09 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,849,686 times
Default ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAILEYR View Post
"over 30,000 men fought under Lee and were didicated southerners, you need to rerad more, moran"
I have no idea what this says.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:30 AM

5,681 posts, read 7,266,541 times
These last couple snowstorms I had looked on weather.com and it kept talking about "northeast snowstorms" with most of the maps they showed starting in DC. Not sure if anybody cares but just pointing out how another part of the "media" seems to include DC/Baltimore as part of the northeast.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:36 AM

18,213 posts, read 25,914,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
And Yankees is what Jamaicans(and other Caribbeans) call ALL AMERICANS......
Which is why the word needs to be retired unless you are talking about the baseball team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or