U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2011, 04:57 PM
DMV

559 posts, read 913,638 times

Advertisements

Never ever felt Southern to me. I always felt like a stranger as a Marylander when ever I went to places like NC or Georgia, but felt more at home when I visited places like PA, or NJ.

This is how Most Sources will View us Today.

NORTHEAST CORRIDOR

Last edited by DMV; 03-07-2011 at 05:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 05:23 PM

501 posts, read 955,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMV View Post
Never ever felt Southern to me. I always felt like a stranger as a Marylander when ever I went to places like NC or Georgia, but felt more at home when I visited places like PA, or NJ.

Well there you go again with your absurd comparisons. You pick one of the furthest away southern states, GA, and two of the closest northern states. I like how each time you include PA but not Virginia. I lived in New Jersey for years and it ALWAYS felt like a foreign land. When I am in West Virginia, Virginia, or even NC I feel quite at home.

Also, I am not sure what you are hoping to prove with all of your maps. I can find just as many, if not more, featuring Maryland in the South. I am talking current AND historical maps. You will never find a pre-1900 (or perhaps even a pre-1950s) map that places Maryland in the Northeast. I would post two maps for every one of yours, but that's been overplayed and achieves nothing. Look in the forum archives if you want them.

[/quote]

Old 03-07-2011, 05:27 PM

Oh, and that is NOT how "most sources" view us today. There is no way in hell you could compile every viable source there is and quantify that. Nice try.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:13 PM

4,560 posts, read 7,621,816 times
Well, any long term mass transit plan is going to include Baltimore and Washington, they are both big cities along the eastern seaboard. Whatever bureaucrat or marketing genius that comes up with these names is going to pick something simple and catchy, like the East Coast Express, or whatever. And in reality these proposed transit lines would pass through the "Northern" and suburbanized parts of the state.

I don't think transit maps have anything to do with the areas of the Eastern Shore or Southern Maryland which is where the state's Southern heritage lies, or with Western Maryland, our little part of Appalachia.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:40 PM

146 posts, read 184,711 times
It never ceases to amaze me how folks continue to give so much weight to a $!&@ line that was drawn 100's of years ago (!)

As a Floridian from the Miami area, these things irk me because purists typically try to label us a "Southern" city...even though nobody here has a Southern accent, Jews outnumber Baptists 5-to-1, the local electorate is 60%+ liberal Democratic, most folks and their families are either from Latin America or the Northeast, and Hispanics are the largest ethnic bloc. I could really care less about what happened in the mid-1800's...South Florida today is simply not Southern, and anybody who argues otherwise is obtuse to the point of being beyond help.

Having gone to grad school in the Mid-Atlantic (Pittsburgh), I simply do not see how folks could view any part of Maryland as Southern, except on purely historic grounds (and even THAT is quite iffy given its Border State role.) There may be minute differences between Baltimore and Philadelphia, but are you really trying to tell me that Baltimore has more in common with Nashville or Atlanta than Philadelphia or Pittsburgh? Or that rural Western Maryland is more comparable to rural Kentucky than rural Pennsylvania? I don't think so.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:55 PM
DMV

559 posts, read 913,638 times
Quote:
MDguy99Well there you go again with your absurd comparisons. You pick one of the furthest away southern states, GA, and two of the closest northern states.
what difference does it make?? Southern is Souther no matter what states you use or how close or far they are.

Quote:
MDguy99I like how each time you include PA but not Virginia. I lived in New Jersey for years and it ALWAYS felt like a foreign land. When I am in West Virginia, Virginia, or even NC I feel quite at home.
We been through this already and I already told you that "Culturally" the only part of VA that I thought was on par with us is NOVA, other than that the rest of VA is completely Anti- Maryland Culturally in my book. I also Told you about my Views on NC as well, so why would anything change in this thread.

Quote:
Also, I am not sure what you are hoping to prove with all of your maps. I can find just as many, if not more, featuring Maryland in the South. I am talking current AND historical maps. You will never find a pre-1900 (or perhaps even a pre-1950s) map that places Maryland in the Northeast. I would post two maps for every one of yours, but that's been overplayed and achieves nothing. Look in the forum archives if you want them.
What I want you to do is go back and reread your own post and noticed that the maps that you plan on using are Dated as far back as the year of "1900" and its 2011 LOL. Now how laughable is that? What a desperate attemp to prove how Southern we are that you have to go that far back .

Ohh BTW: here's another Source that doesn't consider us the South that's not dated like that maps that you choose to use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YitaEluvmaM

Old 03-07-2011, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLGator487 View Post
It never ceases to amaze me how folks continue to give so much weight to a $!&@ line that was drawn 100's of years ago (!)

As a Floridian from the Miami area, these things irk me because purists typically try to label us a "Southern" city...even though nobody here has a Southern accent, Jews outnumber Baptists 5-to-1, the local electorate is 60%+ liberal Democratic, most folks and their families are either from Latin America or the Northeast, and Hispanics are the largest ethnic bloc. I could really care less about what happened in the mid-1800's...South Florida today is simply not Southern, and anybody who argues otherwise is obtuse to the point of being beyond help.

Having gone to grad school in the Mid-Atlantic (Pittsburgh), I simply do not see how folks could view any part of Maryland as Southern, except on purely historic grounds (and even THAT is quite iffy given its Border State role.) There may be minute differences between Baltimore and Philadelphia, but are you really trying to tell me that Baltimore has more in common with Nashville or Atlanta than Philadelphia or Pittsburgh? Or that rural Western Maryland is more comparable to rural Kentucky than rural Pennsylvania? I don't think so.
Western Maryland is certainly more like SW PA and West Virginia than Appalachian Kentucky, but we are all Appalachian none the less, this cultural region includes both areas that would be considered "Northern" and "Southern."

As for the rest of Maryland, have you ever been there? If not, then go read the previous 22 pages of comments for some detailed descriptions about why natives and other knowable posters consider parts of Maryland culturally Southern.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLGator487 View Post
Are you really trying to tell me that Baltimore has more in common with Nashville or Atlanta than Philadelphia or Pittsburgh? Or that rural Western Maryland is more comparable to rural Kentucky than rural Pennsylvania? I don't think so.
LOL!!! Here we go again! Another one who picks some of the furthest-away Southern cities and closest Northern cities? Am I REALLY the only one who is catching on to this?

I will start playing your game now. Baltimore is more like Richmond than it is like Caribou, Maine!

Quote:
what difference does it make?? Southern is Souther no matter what states you use or how close or far they are.
The difference is - switch it to the comparisons I drew and then MY point is proven. Anyone can tweak the outcome of these comparisons simply by picking cities that are too close or too far away. Look at what I did above. All that face-palming must be giving you a migraine, no?

Quote:
We been through this already and I already told you that "Culturally" the only part of VA that I thought was on par with us is NOVA, other than that the rest of VA is completely Anti- Maryland Culturally in my book. I also Told you about my Views on NC as well, so why would anything change in this thread.
LOL- "your book" doesn't matter to people who see it differently than you do and who live in different parts of the state. It also doesn't alter proven documented cultural history. Have you heard of Harriet Tubman and Maryland's plantations? Chances are you live less than 5 minutes from the site of a former plantation. The cultural legacy does not completely evaporate no matter how much a state changes in 150 years. After being 100% Southern, or even 70% if you are picky, for 200 years, it doesn't go to being completely un-Southern in a century and a half. Get it? Probably not.

Quote:
What I want you to do is go back and reread your own post and noticed that the maps that you plan on using are Dated as far back as the year of "1900" and its 2011 LOL. Now how laughable is that? What a desperate attemp to prove how Southern we are that you have to go that far back
NO- you do need to re-read. Or perhaps just read for the first time because you obviously never really read it. I said many modern maps AND historic maps place Maryland in the south. Whereas many modern maps BUT NO historic maps from the time-frame I referenced place Maryland in the Northeast. Let me say it even clearer. There are some modern AND historic maps pre-1900 that prove my point. There are only some modern maps that prove yours. That counts for a lot and says a lot. Yes it does.

Quote:
Ohh BTW: here's another Source that doesn't consider us the South that's not dated like that maps that you choose to use.
I never chose to use any maps. I bet you thought you scored big while typing that response. Fail.

Quote:
I never said parts, if not all, of Maryland were not Mid-Atlantic by location. It is. So is our wonderfully SOUTHERN neighboring state of Virginia! It is geographically Mid-Atlantic. All your video does is prove a location. The discussion I am having is about culture. Get with it.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:33 PM

The South is not a monolyth. The South can be the swamps and bayous of Louisana, the mountains of Tennessee, the city of Atlanta, or the former plantations of Maryland and Virginia. It is silly to pigeon hole such a huge cultural region by cherry-picking comparisons.

The better way to look is to find common links between historic and modern settlement patterns, cultural artifacts like dialect, cuisine, and folkways, and most importantly of all, SELF-IDENTITY. There are large parts of Maryland where the natives call themselves Southerns and trace their roots back to the early settlers, Confederate soliders, slaves and freeman. Try to look these people, or better yet groups of these people in the eye and tell them they are Northerns and you will get a very, um, interesting response. People don't like to be told what they are and aren't. And lots of Marylanders self-identify as Southerners.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
The South is not a monolyth. The South can be the swamps and bayous of Louisana, the mountains of Tennessee, the city of Atlanta, or the former plantations of Maryland and Virginia. It is silly to pigeon hole such a huge cultural region by cherry-picking comparisons.

The better way to look is to find common links between historic and modern settlement patterns, cultural artifacts like dialect, cuisine, and folkways, and most importantly of all, SELF-IDENTITY. There are large parts of Maryland where the natives call themselves Southerns and trace their roots back to the early settlers, Confederate soliders, slaves and freeman. Try to look these people, or better yet groups of these people in the eye and tell them they are Northerns and you will get a very, um, interesting response. People don't like to be told what they are and aren't. And lots of Marylanders are Southerners.
My point exactly. My God, it's so clear and concise. Nobody can argue with this post. This should be a sticky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or