U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2011, 06:25 AM

5,682 posts, read 7,271,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
I hope you don't think this entire thread is about trying to prove Maryland is a Southern State.

I think Maryland is a Border State, one that shows traits of both the North and South. Your area of the state is pretty clearly Northern. Other parts to most posters are pretty clearly Southern. I wouldn't deny their self-identity or lifestyle so out of hand. It is a different world than yours, it is certainly country, but it has alot in common with the rest of the coastal South, especially the areas I mentioned earlier.
Good point. Correct me if I'm wrong though but it did appear as if MDguy thinks all of Maryland is considered a Southern State. I think most would agree that the Eastern Shore and Southern Maryland is pretty southern, but the DC suburbs are not Southern. The biggest point of contention is probably Baltimore. I guess I can't have an official opinion because I'm not originally from here but I would probably have to go with neither and join the "Mid-Atlantic" crowd (which is probably what I'd classify all of Maryland if I had to).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 07:58 AM

501 posts, read 955,787 times
GoPhils- I just do not like when people label Maryland as the Northeast. I can understand a Mid-Atlantic designation only if those same people would also call Virginia MidAtlantic. I am also comfortable with saying the state as a whole is Southern because undeniably it originally was, and our present day culture for about half of the state still is.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:52 AM

200 posts, read 329,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMV View Post
^^^ Now this I can agree with. Thats all I was basically saying. While there may be Certain people from certain parts of Maryland that can relate to the South, there are also others from other parts of MD that can relate to the North. No one in my family including myself that are from the DC/Maryland area can ID with the South Culturally. When I went to School in NC everyone that I knew from Maryland all hung out with other kids from DC, NOVA, PA, NY, and NJ and the people that were from NC, SC, ATL, and Florida all hung out with each other. That was my first time physically living in another Sate other than MD and I Literally had a Culture Shocking experience due to the environment and people being so different. I know everyone has there own opinions when it comes to topics like this, so if someone disagrees then I could totally appreciate that, but Im not gonna change my perceptions or views just so they can feel better. All in all, I think that we all can agree that MD offers fair share of different Cultures within its boarders, but at the end of the day the state of MD is what the people make it out to be. Some people think its Northern and others think its Southern, but no matter its geographical location we're all Marylander's, so what difference does it make.
People do not listen to this poster. He is saying some pretty false things. First, there are not many transplants from Georgia and Florida and if they are they are outnumbered by transplants from the north clearly in North Carolina. Second, thats ridiculous and absolutely false to say that DC, NOVA, PA, NY, and NJ hung out with each other and so did kids NC, SC, ATL, and Florida do the same. Having some family and having gone in the south plenty thats totally false. Everyone hangs together no matter where you from. Its about personal tastes in friends not being from north, south or west. How can you act like NC is sooo southern when a majority of the Blacks from North Carolina are from Washington DC and vice versa. Some people in NC even support and cheer for the redskins. Third, Northern Virgina is just like The Triangle area so even its not above them either.

Last edited by hitek; 03-08-2011 at 11:26 AM..

Old 03-08-2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMV View Post
I wouldn't care if 95% of the people from Maryland considered themselves to be Southern. All Im saying is I dont and could care less if any of you did honestly. No place in the South feels or reminds me of Maryland. I can not relate to them and they can not relate to me Culturally. I do not know what parts of Maryland you guys are from , but the parts that Im Familiar with do not Identify with the South at all. End of Story.
And I wouldn't care if 95% of douchebags like you that claim DC are northerners they're not in any stretch of the imagination. They are places in the south that do remind me of Maryland(North Carolina, Virginia) and nothing in Maryland(especially DC) reminds me of Connecticut, New York, or Rhode Island. From the real north(Connecticut) we do not relate nor consider people in DC as the north. Point plank period!. DC is more Raliegh, Durham, Arlington, Richmond, Atlanta than it will ever be Boston, Providence, Hartford, Jersey City, Newark, or Philly.

Last edited by hitek; 03-08-2011 at 11:24 AM..

Old 03-08-2011, 11:24 AM

5,682 posts, read 7,271,193 times
DC is kindof in it's own little world but it is definitely more Northern than Southern IMO

Old 03-08-2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
DC is kindof in it's own little world but it is definitely more Northern than Southern IMO
Its the nation's capital, but mostly leaning south in my opinion. Mostly african american like most southern cities. Oh yea, and the blacks are absolutely southern there.

Old 03-08-2011, 01:56 PM

DC is no doubt situated on Southern land. So are its suburbs, but the culture of the city at present leans more Mid-Atlantic in my opinion. That said, this is mostly, if not entirely, because of transplants. As noted, the native African-Americans of DC are culturally more Southern in my opinion.

Old 03-08-2011, 06:47 PM

15,704 posts, read 34,718,992 times
The north/south debate.

Speaking of defining things too stringently. Why is the North always assumed to just be New England, New York, and New Jersey.

Myself being originally from Michigan, I live in a whole other world of the North, and it has nothing to do with being a New Yorker.

Old 03-08-2011, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
The north/south debate.

Speaking of defining things too stringently. Why is the North always assumed to just be New England, New York, and New Jersey.

Myself being from Michigan, I live in a whole other part of being a northerner, and it has nothing to do with being a New Yorker.
That is bizarre and I never understood it when speaking of geography. People include states from Oklahoma all the way to Delaware, even, in the South. "The South" does not seem to be a strictly eastern phenomena as "the north" seems to be. Some people go so far as to ***** that Maryland cannot be in the South geographically because then close to half of the US by area would be "the South". This is because they are comparing it to the relatively small geographical area we refer to in the vernacular as "The North". If they included the Upper Midwest (in my mind, this is the TRUE North, along with Maine and northern New England (Alaska is a whole other pie) ... just as anything from Florida to Texas is considered the Deep South) geographically speaking.

Now, switch to culture.

You have to understand that the terms "the North" and the "the South" carry with them cultural implications and references just by their name alone. Just like "the Midwest" carries it's own set of cultural attachments. My guess is that "the North" became a term used to reference the Northeast long before there even WAS an Upper Midwest as part of this country.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:28 PM
DMV

559 posts, read 914,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitek View Post
People do not listen to this poster. He is saying some pretty false things. First, there are not many transplants from Georgia and Florida and if they are they are outnumbered by transplants from the north clearly in North Carolina. Second, thats ridiculous and absolutely false to say that DC, NOVA, PA, NY, and NJ hung out with each other and so did kids NC, SC, ATL, and Florida do the same. Having some family and having gone in the south plenty thats totally false. Everyone hangs together no matter where you from. Its about personal tastes in friends not being from north, south or west. How can you act like NC is sooo southern when a majority of the Blacks from North Carolina are from Washington DC and vice versa. Some people in NC even support and cheer for the redskins. Third, Northern Virgina is just like The Triangle area so even its not above them either.
First of all,

Who are you to tell me or anyone else that Im wrong about something that I personally experienced first hand?? Now If you disagree, then just say you disagree. This isn't something that I was told, this was something that not only me, but my sister and our friends all went through as well when we all attending school in NC. Just because theirs a lot of people who like DC and cheer for the Redskins down in NC doesn't take back the fact that theirs also a lot of them that do not like us either ya moron. Just like theirs a lot of people here in DC that cheer for Dallas, but theirs also a lot of us that cheer for our home team (Redskins) as well, so if it can be done here, the why not there?. Think things out before you type geez. I attended St. Augustine's College in Raleigh, NC and you can ask anybody that ever been to that school if theirs more DC haters than there were DC lovers, so please don't come for me if you don't even know what your talking about.

Last edited by DMV; 03-09-2011 at 08:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or