U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-10-2011, 06:50 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,207 posts, read 25,896,902 times
Reputation: 8963

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDguy99 View Post
Well, if you truly meant "in", then I have nothing against it. And no, I only have a hard time accepting what people say when they try to make an opinion a fact or they say **** that is totally false.
That's fine. Just some confusion.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-10-2011, 06:50 PM
DMV
 
Location: Washington, DC
559 posts, read 913,345 times
Reputation: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Actually rap is a great way to express ourselves, lets try it. I will go first.

We Marylanders are free and America in scale size.
We represent our kin and fight for the real prize
to be who we are without outside collusion.
To those still ignorant, just wait 'till my conclusion.

Our state's got more people than the Saudi's got oil,
but most live down where congestion makes them boil
into a frightful mess of Northern angst
that weaves knots into their metro-sexy man Spanx.

Get away from this mess and the picture turns clear
A German settled north with farms that appear
the perfect picture of an American yeoman.
farming his wheat, cows, corn, he knows what make's em grow. Man,
this debate is ticking me off, you better come equipped if you messing with the bad cop.

I fight like Bud White on REAL bad day
I never pull my punches, I make everyone pay
the toll to cross my bridge.
I'm a big bad troll with no opinions that are fringe.

I step to the mike, like Kobe on the ball court.
My rhymes got more dope that even Charlie Sheen could snort.
I'm the man that makes the ladies sing, the hobbit with the one ring.
Step to the mike and prepare to meet my sword "Sting."

Back to the facts, how 'bout that Eastern Shore,
a slow pace of live, what more could you ask for.
The dialects are Southern like my twang is long,
Fry up that chicken, sit back and hear a folk song
about life on the water catchin' those crab
sell' em in the city for as much dough as you can grab.

Yeah, our state had slaves and hillbillies too
American in minature, what part of that confuses you?
City and country, black and white, the Germans and the English refused to fight
and instead gave our state a heritage all its own.
A border state stradling a cultural zone
where North meets South, we ain't alone.

West Virginia where you at? Still keeping it real?
Delaware y'all know how we feel
about bein' stereotyped like a Arab on a air jet
Catching my drift, you haven't heard the best yet.

Maryland's what its been since the very beginning
North meets South with our own little special thing.
We picked a middle path, and gave away our land
to the federal beast who had its own plan.

The federal beast filled our state with people from....New Jersey?
No offense, really, but those people can't define me
or my kinfolk from the settler days.
Our natives define themselves in numerous ways

Mdguy is a Southernern with a down-home life
Cross his path and prepare to meet a Bowie knife
of insults and ire directed at your core
Step into La Maestranza and you will get gored.

DMV is playa with a busy urban life
He's still got time to fill himself with rife
anger at those that reject his roots
Arguements abound, no concilatory fruits
are offered from his tree.
He is what is and that is all he can be.

As for me.......I am a hillbilly.
No offense taken, that would be silly.
I live an Appalachian life in a nice small town
I look out my window and see mountains all around.

By now, my point should be completely clear
Maryland is a mirror for whatever you appear
to be to yourself, and that is just fine.
I won't tread on your feet, just stay off of mine.
RotfL LOL LOL hahahahaha.... to funny
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2011, 06:53 PM
 
Location: Edgemere, Maryland
501 posts, read 954,975 times
Reputation: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Actually rap is a great way to express ourselves, lets try it. I will go first.

We Marylanders are free and America in scale size.
We represent our kin and fight for the real prize
to be who we are without outside collusion.
To those still ignorant, just wait 'till my conclusion.

Our state's got more people than the Saudi's got oil,
but most live down where congestion makes them boil
into a frightful mess of Northern angst
that weaves knots into their metro-sexy man Spanx.

Get away from this mess and the picture turns clear
A German settled north with farms that appear
the perfect picture of an American yeoman.
farming his wheat, cows, corn, he knows what make's em grow. Man,
this debate is ticking me off, you better come equipped if you messing with the bad cop.

I fight like Bud White on REAL bad day
I never pull my punches, I make everyone pay
the toll to cross my bridge.
I'm a big bad troll with no opinions that are fringe.

I step to the mike, like Kobe on the ball court.
My rhymes got more dope that even Charlie Sheen could snort.
I'm the man that makes the ladies sing, the hobbit with the one ring.
Step to the mike and prepare to meet my sword "Sting."

Back to the facts, how 'bout that Eastern Shore,
a slow pace of live, what more could you ask for.
The dialects are Southern like my twang is long,
Fry up that chicken, sit back and hear a folk song
about life on the water catchin' those crab
sell' em in the city for as much dough as you can grab.

Yeah, our state had slaves and hillbillies too
American in minature, what part of that confuses you?
City and country, black and white, the Germans and the English refused to fight
and instead gave our state a heritage all its own.
A border state stradling a cultural zone
where North meets South, we ain't alone.

West Virginia where you at? Still keeping it real?
Delaware y'all know how we feel
about bein' stereotyped like a Arab on a air jet
Catching my drift, you haven't heard the best yet.

Maryland's what its been since the very beginning
North meets South with our own little special thing.
We picked a middle path, and gave away our land
to the federal beast who had its own plan.

The federal beast filled our state with people from....New Jersey?
No offense, really, but those people can't define me
or my kinfolk from the settler days.
Our natives define themselves in numerous ways

Mdguy is a Southernern with a down-home life
Cross his path and prepare to meet a Bowie knife
of insults and ire directed at your core
Step into La Maestranza and you will get gored.

DMV is playa with a busy urban life
He's still got time to fill himself with rife
anger at those that reject his roots
Arguements abound, no concilatory fruits
are offered from his tree.
He is what is and that is all he can be.

As for me.......I am a hillbilly.
No offense taken, that would be silly.
I live an Appalachian life in a nice small town
I look out my window and see mountains all around.

By now, my point should be completely clear
Maryland is a mirror for whatever you appear
to be to yourself, and that is just fine.
I won't tread on your feet, just stay off of mine.

Haha! I love this - cool stuff, man! This was very creative, extensive, and TRUE.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2011, 06:59 PM
DMV
 
Location: Washington, DC
559 posts, read 913,345 times
Reputation: 124
Quote:
MDguy99 LOL- these are celebrities! This is hardly a reflection of culture or the population as a whole.
Of course they dont reflect your parts of Maryland because they're all from my side of town, which I been trying to tell you all along DO NOT ID WITH THE SOUTH.


Quote:
Also, to be honest with you- it's hard for me to tell where a Southern accent begins and African-American dialect begins. It all has a Southern influence.
Well that may be because you aren't black or maybe you just don't have the trained ear in which cases we shouldn't even be having these kinds of debates with you anyways, since you seem confused on the dialects.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2011, 07:05 PM
 
Location: Edgemere, Maryland
501 posts, read 954,975 times
Reputation: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMV View Post
Of course they dont reflect your parts of Maryland because they're all from my side of town, which I been trying to tell you all along DO NOT ID WITH THE SOUTH.
Man- I am saying they do not reflect the population as a whole of the DC area, they are celebrities and there are black celebrities from the South that sound like they do. Ellen DeGeneres and Richard Simmons are from New Orleans, Louisiana and I sound 10x more Southern than either of them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMV View Post
Well that may be because you aren't black or maybe you just don't have the trained ear in which cases we shouldn't even be having these kinds of debates with you anyways, since you seem confused on the dialects.
Are you black? I'm sorry I don't have a "trained ear", but please explain how I can tell the difference between ebonics and a Southern twang/ drawl. I'd like to know.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2011, 07:13 PM
 
Location: Cumberland
4,558 posts, read 7,617,865 times
Reputation: 2769
It didn't stop you guys from arguing though
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2011, 07:14 PM
 
Location: Edgemere, Maryland
501 posts, read 954,975 times
Reputation: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
It didn't stop you guys from arguing though
Hey, I was done, but he threw it out there. I really have no animosity right now, I have settled down and I honestly want to know his answers to my last post
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2011, 07:27 PM
DMV
 
Location: Washington, DC
559 posts, read 913,345 times
Reputation: 124
Quote:
MDguy99 Man- I am saying they do not reflect the population as a whole of the DC area, they are celebrities and there are black celebrities from the South that sound like they do. Ellen DeGeneres and Richard Simmons are from New Orleans, Louisiana and I sound 10x more Southern than either of them!
First of all, To most of us on this side, people that live on your side of town are not even from the DC area. The DC area to most of us on this side only consists of its surrounding counties in which you can catch a subway or bus to. If a bus nor subway can reach or take us to the part of MD you live, then your not in the DC area your just from somewhere far out in Maryland. Secondly, are you saying that just because those people are Celebs that they cant be counted or represent the DC area in which your not even from yourself, so how can you make such claims?. What if I become a Celeb next week would I no longer be able to Rep. MD/DC?



Quote:
MDguy99 Are you black?
Cant you read between the lines, Duhhhh of course I am.. Why else would I ask you that.

Quote:
MDguy99 I'm sorry I don't have a "trained ear", but please explain how I can tell the difference between ebonics and a Southern twang/ drawl. I'd like to know.
all you have to do is listen carefully and pay attention to the way Southerners pronounce there words VS how people from the MA or even the North Pronounce there words, it really not that hard you just gotta listen.

Last edited by DMV; 03-10-2011 at 07:35 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2011, 07:28 PM
DMV
 
Location: Washington, DC
559 posts, read 913,345 times
Reputation: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
It didn't stop you guys from arguing though
Yes you did. MDGuy and I are just 2 very opinionated guys that's all. That rap that you made was very creative and Hilarious though LOL.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2011, 07:43 PM
 
Location: Edgemere, Maryland
501 posts, read 954,975 times
Reputation: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMV View Post
First of all, To most of us on this side, people that live on your side of town are not even from the DC area. The DC area to most of us on this side only consists of its surrounding counties in which you can catch a subway or bus to. If a bus nor subway can reach or take us to the part of MD you live, then your not in the DC area your just from somewhere far out in Maryland. Secondly, are you saying that just because those people are Celebs that they cant be counted or represent the DC area in which your not even from yourself, so how can you make such claims?. What if I become a Celeb next week would I no longer be able to Rep. MD/DC?
LOL I am NOT from the DC area!
What I am saying is (here, have a facepalm ) you cannot use celebrities as a gauge for the entire population of where they come from. Have my example again: Ellen and Richard Simmons are from New Orleans (literally, born and raised) and they hardly act or sound Southern, so by your logic, they aren't Southern and neither is anyone from New Orleans, right?



Quote:
Originally Posted by DMV View Post
Cant you read between the lines, Duhhhh of course I am.. Why else would I ask you that.
LOL- I have no idea what you are. If I had assumed you were black and you weren't then people would be ****ting on me for that one, too.


Quote:
Originally Posted by DMV View Post
all you have to do is listen carefully and pay attention to the way Southerners pronounce there words VS how people from the MA or even the North Pronounce there words, it really not that hard you just gotta listen.
I understand regional dialects. However, I am not back and I guess my ear isn't "tuned" to the black "language". I am asking you how I can tell the difference between a southern twang/ drawl and an ebonics twang/ drawl. Don't just say "cause you can". Please let me know.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top