U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2011, 09:13 AM

770 posts, read 3,347,538 times

Advertisements

Either way I would be proud to be a Yankee...don't we all know that people from the north aka a Yankee are the only Americans who can truely claim not to have ever lost a war??? BAM!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 05:06 PM

4,564 posts, read 7,632,343 times
Vietnam?

Old 02-10-2011, 01:20 PM

770 posts, read 3,347,538 times
First the US never declared war on Vietnam, we were there as "advisors" which led to unecessary loss of lives. Vietnam is not considered a war for this reason, just like we went into Haiti, Panama, Iraq, Somolia and Bosnia...we did not declare war on these counties. Also we pulled our troops out of the Vietnam War which was being fought between north and south vietnam...we didn't lose it. Big difference, pick up a history book

Last edited by Njrover0216; 02-10-2011 at 01:29 PM..

Old 02-10-2011, 02:38 PM

2,893 posts, read 3,404,574 times
To say that the Vietnam conflict was not a war is fantastically pedantic. The USA had about 500,000 troops there, aircraft carriers, patrol boats, B-52s doing saturation bombing, helicopter gunships, napalm, agent orange, artillery, flame throwers, and just about everything else in the arsenal except nuclear weapons. There were massive numbers of American casualties, and even more massive numbers of casualties inflicted on the Viet Cong, South Vietnamese troops, North Vietnamese regular troops, and civilians in both North and South. Prisoners of war were taken by all sides, and summary executions frequently happened. If this doesn't qualify as a war, then the definition of war is screwy. The Vietnam conflict is indeed "considered" to be a war by any useful definition applied by any reasonable person.

Old 02-10-2011, 03:17 PM

2,051 posts, read 4,849,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njrover0216 View Post
Vietnam is not considered a war for this reason, just like we went into Haiti, Panama, Iraq, Somolia and Bosnia...we did not declare war on these counties. Also we pulled our troops out of the Vietnam War which was being fought between north and south vietnam...we didn't lose it. Big difference, pick up a history book
There are very, very few people that don't believe we lost the Vietnam war. Declared or not, it meets almost every definition of a war. The only exclusion is that it was not declared but that is not required to be a war.

Mirriam-Webster:

war noun, often attributive \ˈwȯr\
Definition of WAR
1a (1) : a state of usually open and declared armed hostile conflict between states or nations (2) : a period of such armed conflict (3) : state of war b : the art or science of warfare c (1) obsolete : weapons and equipment for war (2) archaic : soldiers armed and equipped for war
2a : a state of hostility, conflict, or antagonism b : a struggle or competition between opposing forces or for a particular end <a class war> <a war against disease>

War - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Old 02-10-2011, 04:08 PM

3,137 posts, read 7,893,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers10 View Post
I can literally see on the Weather Channel where the non-geographically specific forecasts starts, but my local information begins then I see the regional forecast with the four PA cities. It also shows a "Getaway Forecast" for Niagara Falls, NY, the Delaware Water Gap, PA, and Atlantic City, NJ. Once again, someone at the Weather Channel assumes that all Western Marylanders go on weekend excursions to the North, and not South to Virginia Beach, the Outer Banks, or the Cumberland Gap. Curious.
Which DirecTV local forecast you see should be based on your zip code, so I don't know why they'd give a Marylander the PA forecast. Seems like they should give you a DC/Baltimore one. I'd be curious as to exactly where the line between different "local on the 8s" lies- I imagine you're just barely on the Pennsylvania side of it.

Quote:
Hagerstown has its own NBC affiliate WHAG, but I do not receive it from DirecTV.
I believe the issue is that DirecTV can't get a good signal from WHAG at wherever they have the antenna to receive the DC and Baltimore stations (probably somewhere between DC and Baltimore). Because of this, they are not required to carry WHAG unless WHAG can transmit the signal to them some other way (fiber, etc.) at WHAG's expense.

Interestingly, Verizon FIOS customers anywhere in the DC market (including the Virginia suburbs) do get WHAG, so Verizon must get their signals from a different place than DirecTV.

Quote:
My satellite subscription may be the reason for getting Pennsylvania info on the Weather Channel but Washington D.C. network affiliates. I am always curious as to why we received only D.C. affiliates on DirecTV and none from Baltimore even though D.C. and Baltimore are equidistant from Washington County.
The reason you get DC only is that Washington County has been assigned to the Washington, DC Designated Market Area (DMA). DirecTV has the option of giving you channels from other markets (e.g. Baltimore) that are "significantly viewed" by other people in your county, but is under no requirement to.

Now, as to how Washington County got lumped in with DC instead of Baltimore, that's a good question. These things should be based on historical viewing patterns as well as commuting patterns, which would appear to favor DC.

My guess is that, back when antennas were the only way to get TV, more people had antennas pointed at DC than Baltimore. DC had more VHF stations (4) than Baltimore (3), and if you look at the terrain between Washington County and DC, it is slightly flatter than the terrain between Washington County and Baltimore, which may have made DC reception easier. From personal experience, I know it's easier to get the DC radio stations in Washington County than the Baltimore ones.

Old 02-10-2011, 04:45 PM

4,564 posts, read 7,632,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njrover0216 View Post
First the US never declared war on Vietnam, we were there as "advisors" which led to unecessary loss of lives. Vietnam is not considered a war for this reason, just like we went into Haiti, Panama, Iraq, Somolia and Bosnia...we did not declare war on these counties. Also we pulled our troops out of the Vietnam War which was being fought between north and south vietnam...we didn't lose it. Big difference, pick up a history book
Actually, I have a BA in History and pick up lots of history books just for fun. I would add more to this conversation, but Hamish and Richard Martin said it as well I as could have. Thanks guys for picking up my slack.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:31 PM

136 posts, read 453,314 times
I agree. I am originally from MD. Miss those crab cakes! I live in the Raleigh, NC area and most people don't seem to consider MD a southern state. It is below the Mason-Dixon line and is considered a southern state, but not so much in NC.

Old 02-12-2011, 11:54 PM

328 posts, read 338,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky08 View Post
I agree. I am originally from MD. Miss those crab cakes! I live in the Raleigh, NC area and most people don't seem to consider MD a southern state. It is below the Mason-Dixon line and is considered a southern state, but not so much in NC.
Same here. I live in Cary. I'd say that about 99% of people in NC don't think of MD as a southern state. I don't see why it's such a big deal anyway. And yeah I miss crab cakes too. The Edgewater Restaurant makes the best.

Old 02-13-2011, 06:33 AM

5,689 posts, read 7,277,793 times
But aren't like 50% of the people in Cary from states farther north than Maryland?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or