U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2011, 09:12 AM

202 posts, read 469,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
Wrong on so many levels:
I have a place in Vermont, lived in Boston, family from Quebec. Now live in Baltimore. Sadly, much of Maryland is a lot more like Jersey than NC or even Virginia. Southern culture in the north? Have you not experienced Pennsylania's enterior? Baltimore is much more like Philly and Jersey cities, even cities in CT than anywhere in the south with the exception of maybe Richmond. Bodegas all over my neighborhood. Winters in MD may be a bit more milder but really not by much when compared to Jersey, pts. of PA, and Delaware.
Maryland is way more like Virginia than New Jersey. Pennsylvania is a different story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 10:22 AM

4,180 posts, read 12,764,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotty19 View Post
Maryland is way more like Virginia than New Jersey. Pennsylvania is a different story.

Baltimore is very similar to Jersey cities and the eastern shore of MD is almost identical to southern Jersey.

Old 09-25-2011, 01:31 PM

501 posts, read 955,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
Baltimore is very similar to Jersey cities and the eastern shore of MD is almost identical to southern Jersey.
You could not be any more mistaken. I lived in Northern New Jersey for years and there are nearly zero similarities to any part of Maryland. Especially in overall "feel"- forget it. The Eastern Shore of Maryland is nowhere near Southern NJ culturally speaking. Tidewater VA, parts of coastal NC, and southern DE are culturally similar to Maryland's Eastern Shore. That's pretty much it.

You are spewing nonsense in every post and have claimed that this is an "elementary" argument, yet you keep going on and on. There is no way that you could ever erase Maryland's southern history and Marylanders from identifying with the South through your posts. It's wasted energy. You wouldn't have to work this hard to convince so many people in a REAL Northeastern state that they are not Southern. This argument will truly never end.

Old 09-25-2011, 03:17 PM

388 posts, read 659,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitek View Post
Where did this come from? I'm from Connecticut and lived in New York also have family in the south (SC, NC, DC) and been up and down I-95 most of my life and a variety of places. Maryland is nothing like New Jersey or Connecticut. You won't find any type of southern culture in those states that you would find in Maryland. Summers in Maryland are extremely hot and humid. No city in Maryland feels similar to New Jersey, Philly, or Connecticut by any strecth of the imagination. The winters are mild compared to the north also. No puerto rican day parades like in Boston, Hartford, New Haven, New York, or Philladelphia nor bodegas. The accents from the locals are nothing like the ones in the north at all. Beyond these observations, the lifestyle in Maryland couldnt be much more different. People in Maryland are much more accustomed to chain resturants where as in Jersey and Connecticut people flock to the local resturants that are open by someone known in local neighborhoods and so fourth. Baltimore more segregated and DC as well, while in the cities in New Jersey and Connecticut you will totally see a mixture of different races interacting with each other constantly. From a half italtian, half puerto rican married to an african american with children to a house party mixed with blacks, white, puerto ricans, all conversating and having a good time. Even the ghettos of those states are very diverse. Also Maryland is a very rural state and has hugh amount of old southern culture. Not deep south, but I link it with North Carolina,Virginia and Delaware what I consider all uppersouth. Tobacco also used to be the main crop in Maryland, just like Virginia and North Carolina. Heck, the college teams all rival each other in the ACC lol. That line truely does matter and even the goverment places Maryland in the south. And why do people keep saying Northern Virgina is not southern and not part of Virginia? Just because a place is not full of beverly hillbillies and hicks doesn't mean its southern. South Florida is different from North Florida especially Miami but its still the south. Austin is very liberal and Houston has a gay major. Atlanta is heavily gay, votes democratic, and is different from the rest of Georgia.The triangle, triad, Wilmington, and Charlotte are filled with transplants from the north that had dilluted the southerness of what those places used to be but North Carolina still the south. Plus NC and VA were blue states in the 2008 election. You can't just all throw the south in as a whole as some kind of backwood place anymore, because like one poster said; this isn't the 1800s anymore. Things changed. The whole south has changed.
This post isn't very accurate. Summers in Maryland are hot and humid on the whole but, let's be real, New Jersey and southeastern PA have virtually the same hot, humid summers. Out where I live in Western Maryland, I'd be willing to bet my summers are comparable to yours, if not milder. As for no city in Maryland feeling similar to cities to our north, Baltimore is generally regarded as a smaller version of Philly. The Philly and Baltimore accents are extremely similar as well. Not all of the government places Maryland in the South. The Census Bureau does, but there are several agencies that place us in the Northeast or a distinct Mid-Atlantic region. While tobacco may have been the main crop in Maryland at one point, it was grown in Southern MD and on the Eastern Shore. The Piedmont region (and obviously the Mountain region) were (and are) more agriculturally similar to areas north of us. While I agree that most metro areas tend to lean left, Maryland is extremely and steadfastly blue. The areas you're describing (Charlotte, Austin, etc.) are part of the "New South." Maryland is definitely not. Baltimore has been Baltimore for a very, very long time, it's an old industry city with ethnic neighborhoods like its northern counterparts. The restaurant thing is complete BS. Maryland is and always will be a border state. I personally identify as more of a Yankee myself but you're not going to hurt my feelings if you say Maryland is Southern. I'd obviously see where you're coming from, just be accurate about it. There are many Marylanders that identify as Southerners and there are many that think of the notion as preposterous. When all is said and done, I like to think that Maryland got the best qualities from each side.

Old 09-25-2011, 05:04 PM

1,154 posts, read 3,852,061 times
Baltimore is a lot like a larger version of Camden. MD and NJ have a lot in common.

Old 09-25-2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs72 View Post
This post isn't very accurate. Summers in Maryland are hot and humid on the whole but, let's be real, New Jersey and southeastern PA have virtually the same hot, humid summers. Out where I live in Western Maryland, I'd be willing to bet my summers are comparable to yours, if not milder. As for no city in Maryland feeling similar to cities to our north, Baltimore is generally regarded as a smaller version of Philly. The Philly and Baltimore accents are extremely similar as well. Not all of the government places Maryland in the South. The Census Bureau does, but there are several agencies that place us in the Northeast or a distinct Mid-Atlantic region. While tobacco may have been the main crop in Maryland at one point, it was grown in Southern MD and on the Eastern Shore. The Piedmont region (and obviously the Mountain region) were (and are) more agriculturally similar to areas north of us. While I agree that most metro areas tend to lean left, Maryland is extremely and steadfastly blue. The areas you're describing (Charlotte, Austin, etc.) are part of the "New South." Maryland is definitely not. Baltimore has been Baltimore for a very, very long time, it's an old industry city with ethnic neighborhoods like its northern counterparts. The restaurant thing is complete BS. Maryland is and always will be a border state. I personally identify as more of a Yankee myself but you're not going to hurt my feelings if you say Maryland is Southern. I'd obviously see where you're coming from, just be accurate about it. There are many Marylanders that identify as Southerners and there are many that think of the notion as preposterous. When all is said and done, I like to think that Maryland got the best qualities from each side.
Yea, the idea that Baltimore is part of the South is depressingly inaccurate. By 1860 only something like 1% of the city was slave, and Baltimore County was only 7% slave. Northern Maryland, like Delaware, was only nominally 'slave' territory.

Old 09-25-2011, 05:31 PM

4,560 posts, read 7,621,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDguy99 View Post
You could not be any more mistaken. I lived in Northern New Jersey for years and there are nearly zero similarities to any part of Maryland. Especially in overall "feel"- forget it. The Eastern Shore of Maryland is nowhere near Southern NJ culturally speaking. Tidewater VA, parts of coastal NC, and southern DE are culturally similar to Maryland's Eastern Shore. That's pretty much it.

You are spewing nonsense in every post and have claimed that this is an "elementary" argument, yet you keep going on and on. There is no way that you could ever erase Maryland's southern history and Marylanders from identifying with the South through your posts. It's wasted energy. You wouldn't have to work this hard to convince so many people in a REAL Northeastern state that they are not Southern. This argument will truly never end.
The highlighted statement above is the most objective truth on the whole thread!

B-O-R-D-E-R S-T-A-T-E, say it with me people......Border State! The thread would have been DOA if this simple fact wasn't true.

Old 09-25-2011, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMTman View Post
Baltimore is a lot like a larger version of Camden. MD and NJ have a lot in common.
No.

You know, when I first came here I was willing to give the benefit of the doubt to people with an opposing view on this topic, but the more I read through the thread the more I become completely frazzled and amazed at how people can have such diametrically opposed, polar opposite views of the same thing. I was content with "Mid-Atlantic" for a long time, but some days I feel as if that's a cop out. I don't know, this thread drives me bonkers!

Old 09-25-2011, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDguy99 View Post
No.
Declining rust belt cities with abandoned row homes galore. So yea.

Old 09-25-2011, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMTman View Post
Declining rust belt cities with abandoned row homes galore. So yea.
Seriously, that's your gauge of similarity?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or