U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2011, 04:05 PM

501 posts, read 987,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs72 View Post
I actually have not been to downtown Philadelphia. Baltimore does have a skyline but, even if Philly has more of the "urban canyon" feel, you'd have to agree that Baltimore is dense. It is a real city. These cities popping up down south like Charlotte and Atlanta are nothing but sprawling, suburban messes. Cul-de-sac neighborhoods are considered "in the city" down there. No walkability whatsoever.
Are you seriously proposing that cities to the south are just now "popping up" and have no density? Atlanta, really?

http://cheaphotelsinatlantaga.org/wp-content/uploads/cheap-hotels-in-atlanta-ga.jpg (broken link)

Charlotte?

Baltimore is also sprawling and suburban- the only difference? Baltimore County is a separate entity. In all fairness, go by size- you are basing this off of cities that are, by area, much larger than Baltimore. Look at the entire radius of Atlanta (city only) superimpose this over Baltimore and include all of the surrounding land in Baltimore County (and even perhaps some in Harford). Now, that is a fair comparison- you've got your sprawling suburbs. You could not do this in Philly or NY, because, by area, everything would be dense urban development and little, if any, suburban cul-de-sacs. Again, our cul-de-sacs (which, by the way, surround Baltimore entirely from the city line and for miles upon miles after that) are only outside the city today because the city was prevented from claiming any more territory from Baltimore County over a half century ago.

(For reference: Baltimore - 92 square miles, Charlotte, NC- 297 square miles)

Last edited by MDguy99; 09-26-2011 at 04:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 04:11 PM

386 posts, read 550,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDguy99 View Post
I can't for the life of me understand why this isn't more widely known. The Pratt Street riots WERE THE FIRST BLOOD DRAWN in the war. Why is Sumter so widely recognized as the "first shots", I really don't know to be honest.
Well SC was the only state in the south that didnt contribute a singel soldier to the north as well as the first shot fired. But Baltimore was the first bloodshed and the first ground engagement. Although that title usuall goes to bull run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
And that makes Maryland more rural and different from most other northeast states how exactly?

The majority of New York, Pennsylvania, Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine is more rural than Maryland.
I never said more rural, but the state sure is rural for the most part. Its the statement that its not rural that Im referring to. 99% of people who make any assesment of MD have never left the DC balt corridor...You dont judge Georgia by atlanta...

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
There ya go, bringing up The Recent Unpleasantness.
LoL I had to. It would be wrong for a southern man to let go of such an action.

Old 09-26-2011, 04:21 PM

388 posts, read 680,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDguy99 View Post
Are you seriously proposing that cities to the south are just now "popping up" and have no density? Atlanta, really?

Charlotte?

Baltimore is also sprawling and suburban- the only difference? Baltimore County is a separate entity. In all fairness, go by size- you are basing this off of cities that are, by area, much larger than Baltimore. Look at the entire radius of Atlanta (city only) superimpose this over Baltimore and include all of the surrounding land in Baltimore County (and even perhaps some in Harford). Now, that is a fair comparison- you've got your sprawling suburbs. You could not do this in Philly or NY, because, by area, everything would be dense urban development and little, if any, suburban cul-de-sacs. Again, our cul-de-sacs (which, by the way, surround Baltimore entirely from the city line and for miles upon miles after that) are only outside the city today because the city was prevented from claiming any more territory from Baltimore County over a century ago.
Absolutely. I definitely realize Baltimore is surrounded by massive suburban development as is pretty much every east coast city. The difference is, what would be considered suburban here is considered "city" down there. They are most definitely just popping up. Metropolitan Atlanta is six times the size it was in 1950. After 1980, growth in Atlanta took off, growing by a million or more every decade. The modern skyline was virtually nonexistent. Check out the Atlanta forum, you'll see what I'm talking about. All these fast-growing cities in the South share these same characteristics. It would be nearly impossible to live without a car in those cities while people do it all the time in the megalopolis cities. Philly and NY have a lot of suburbs too. I personally know people that live in a cul-de-sac outside Philly.

[quote=andrew_s;21043840]Well SC was the only state in the south that didnt contribute a singel soldier to the north as well as the first shot fired. But Baltimore was the first bloodshed and the first ground engagement. Although that title usuall goes to bull run. [quote=andrew_s;21043840]

Eh, to me a shot doesn't mean much unless it draws blood- regarding the start of a war of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew_s View Post
I never said more rural, but the state sure is rural for the most part. Its the statement that its not rural that Im referring to. 99% of people who make any assesment of MD have never left the DC balt corridor...You dont judge Georgia by atlanta...
I've spent plenty of time on the Eastern Shore, and it's still rural, but developing, for better or worse. As is the area surrounding Frederick. I remember when Frederick used to be "way out in the boondocks". Today? Just another suburb in most respects. I'm not happy with what's going on, but I'd be lying if I wasn't honest about what I see happening. It's part of the reason I am so adamant on this topic- I do not like seeing the culture of my homestate being denied, altered, or dictated by outsiders (I think most people passionate about this could agree on that).

4,984 posts, read 8,063,185 times
Quote:
Well SC was the only state in the south that didnt contribute a singel soldier to the north as well as the first shot fired. But Baltimore was the first bloodshed and the first ground engagement. Although that title usuall goes to bull run.

LoL I had to. It would be wrong for a southern man to let go of such an action.
Uh oh, the Yankees are getting to you Andrew. The South named battles after the closest town, The North used the closest stream. So not "Bull Run," but "First Manassass."

Old 09-26-2011, 04:26 PM

[quote=MDguy99;21043964][quote=andrew_s;21043840]Well SC was the only state in the south that didnt contribute a singel soldier to the north as well as the first shot fired. But Baltimore was the first bloodshed and the first ground engagement. Although that title usuall goes to bull run.
Quote:

Eh, to me a shot doesn't mean much unless it draws blood- regarding the start of a war of course.

I've spent plenty of time on the Eastern Shore, and it's still rural, but developing, for better or worse. As is the area surrounding Frederick. I remember when Frederick used to be "way out in the boondocks". Today? Just another suburb in most respects. I'm not happy with what's going on, but I'd be lying if I wasn't honest about what I see happening. It's part of the reason I am so adamant on this topic- I do not like seeing the culture of my homestate being denied, altered, or dictated by outsiders (I think most people passionate about this could agree on that).
Agreed. I grew up in the sticks of maryland and I LOVE our natural culture from appalachia to tidewater, but all this development is killing me too. Im moving to western howard county and hopefully to the last remaining family farm in the future, but even then there is urban growth slowly constricting that part of rural maryland.

I dont want to see this once great state turn into a megaopolis. Sadly its innevitable with all the government presence. Cant move due to many aspects but Id love to keep the family farm alive for as long as I possibly can.

Old 09-26-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Absolutely. I definitely realize Baltimore is surrounded by massive suburban development as is pretty much every east coast city. The difference is, what would be considered suburban here is considered "city" down there.
Well, this is simply a question of annexation. It would be considered city here too, were it not simply for annexation laws.

Quote:
They are most definitely just popping up. Metropolitan Atlanta is six times the size it was in 1950.

Again, simple annexation laws. This arguement holds no water. What if our annexation laws were more lax and Baltimore City took over Baltimore County- then people would be saying the cul-de-sacs of Essex, Middle River, and White Marsh were in the city. This says nothing about cultural or regional differences. This all goes back to our 1948 law. That's it. Baltimore County has grown ENORMOUSLY in the past 50 years, also. All of that just as suburban as Atlanta.

Quote:
It's nearlt Philly and NY have a lot of suburbs too. I personally know people that live in a cul-de-sac outside Philly.
You aren't realizing my point though- Philly is an enormous, urban city, Baltimore is an urban city with suburban and semi-rural outskirts in the same area footprint as Philly. That's what I'm talking about- go by AREA when comparing two cities, not the definition of city limits- because of size and annexation laws.

Old 09-26-2011, 04:27 PM

33,876 posts, read 42,076,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Uh oh, the Yankees are getting to you Andrew. The South named battles after the closest town, The North used the closest stream. So not "Bull Run," but "First Manassass."

You noticed that too? My ingrained Appalachian politeness kept me from mentioning it.

Old 09-26-2011, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You noticed that too? My ingrained Appalachian politeness kept me from mentioning it.
LoL yeah. Im guilty of being yankeefied from time to time. I mean I married one

Old 09-26-2011, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Im moving to western howard county and hopefully to the last remaining family farm in the future

I wish you luck- save that farm!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or