U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2011, 04:41 PM

386 posts, read 547,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDguy99 View Post
I wish you luck- save that farm!
I pray to God I can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 04:51 PM

212 posts, read 348,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drs72 View Post
I actually have not been to downtown Philadelphia. Baltimore does have a skyline but, even if Philly has more of the "urban canyon" feel, you'd have to agree that Baltimore is dense. It is a real city. These cities popping up down south like Charlotte and Atlanta are nothing but sprawling, suburban messes. Cul-de-sac neighborhoods are considered "in the city" down there. No walkability whatsoever.
Another poster trying to throw all cities under the Mason Dixon line under a one size fit all category. The part about Atlanta is innaccurate as there are many places in Atlanta that are walkable and was ranked in the top 20. Not to change the subject, but how about Miami? It was ranked 8 as the most walkable city and ahead of Baltimore. Also, its way more dense than Baltimore as well and Florida as a state more so than Maryland. New Orlean is very walkable too and lousiana has ethic whites such as italian, french, and irish but it doesn't exempt these place from being southern. Altlana has one of the highest LGBT in the country something that Baltimore doesnt even have, despite being called so much liberal by poster. You can't throw all the south under and exempt Maryland. Yes New York, Pennslyvania are rural but there's a different between country and southern. The vast majority of the rural places in Maryland are southern.

Old 09-26-2011, 04:51 PM

388 posts, read 677,902 times
Quote:
Again, simple annexation laws. This arguement holds no water. What if our annexation laws were more lax and Baltimore City took over Baltimore County- then people would be saying the cul-de-sacs of Essex, Middle River, and White Marsh were in the city. This says nothing about cultural or regional differences. This all goes back to our 1948 law. That's it. Baltimore County has grown ENORMOUSLY in the past 50 years, also. All of that just as suburban as Atlanta.
You wrote this in response to this, "They are most definitely just popping up. Metropolitan Atlanta is six times the size it was in 1950." This has nothing to do with annexation. "Metropolitan Atlanta," as in the entire metro area, has grown six times its 1950 size, not the city. Atlanta is called "New South" because it was a completely different city altogether a few decades ago. Baltimore has experienced a whole heck of a lot of suburban growth as well but Baltimore has been a major city for a very long time. Once again, I never said that Maryland isn't Southern, I'm just trying to set the facts straight. If you say that Maryland is indisputably one way or the other, you're either leaving out information or using misinformation, regardless of which side you personally identify with. We have the best of both worlds in this state and I think it's great. It's part of what makes Maryland the best state in the nation.

Old 09-26-2011, 04:56 PM

So let me get this straight... unless I come on here and profess that Maryland is 100%, indisputably, no-question-about-it Southern, you all are going to keep coming back and trying to rip apart my arguments. I thought a centrist point of view would be respected but apparently not.

Old 09-26-2011, 05:00 PM

202 posts, read 483,178 times
Quote:
If you say that Maryland is indisputably one way or the other, you're either leaving out information or using misinformation, regardless of which side you personally identify with. We have the best of both worlds in this state and I think it's great. It's part of what makes Maryland the best state in the nation.
I agree 100% with this. I hope I don't come off as trying to pass Maryland as 100% southern. I just hate the sound of someone calling Maryland a Northeastern state without considering it's southern traits. It bothers me

Old 09-26-2011, 05:05 PM

501 posts, read 983,235 times
Quote:
You wrote this in response to this, "They are most definitely just popping up. Metropolitan Atlanta is six times the size it was in 1950." This has nothing to do with annexation. "Metropolitan Atlanta," as in the entire metro area, has grown six times its 1950 size, not the city.
Okay, look- This is what I am trying to say. Baltimore County and the Baltimore Metro area as a whole grew exponentially over the last 50 years as well. My point there was that the poster was trying to claim that there is no new sprawling suburban-like development in the city of Baltimore itself, and, like I said, this is true but only true because of our annexation laws - without which, much of Baltimore County would be Baltimore City today, hence including suburban-like sprawl (Middle River, White Marsh, Towson, etc) within city limits.

Quote:
Atlanta is called "New South" because it was a completely different city altogether a few decades ago. Baltimore has experienced a whole heck of a lot of suburban growth as well but Baltimore has been a major city for a very long time.
There are plenty of major Southern cities that have been major cities for a very long time. You can't single out Atlanta because it was burned to the ground in the 1860s.

Quote:
We have the best of both worlds in this state and I think it's great.
And the worst of both worlds.

Quote:
It's part of what makes Maryland the best state in the nation.
I wouldn't go that far, if we are talking about present-day Maryland.

Old 09-26-2011, 05:06 PM

Quote:
So let me get this straight... unless I come on here and profess that Maryland is 100%, indisputably, no-question-about-it Southern, you all are going to keep coming back and trying to rip apart my arguments. I thought a centrist point of view would be respected but apparently not.

It's not that- many of your arguments for why MD is not Southern don't hold water.

Old 09-26-2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:
It's not that- many of your arguments for why MD is not Southern don't hold water.
But not once did I ever say that "MD is not Southern." I'm not really sure what you mean by "and the worst of both worlds" but I definitely think Maryland is the best state in the nation. At the very least it's my favorite state. Aside from growing up there, I like that we're a slice of America. Beautiful mountains, rolling hills, marshes, plantations, the bay, flat farmland, the ocean, on the doorstep of the nation's capital, urban, suburban, rural, North, South..... We have rich history, the best flag, and some really good people. We are a blue state with a progressive government, but still have many great conservative places if that's your cup of tea. Best roads. I'm sure there are more reasons...

Old 09-26-2011, 05:25 PM

386 posts, read 547,594 times
Quote:
I wish you luck- save that farm!
Quote:
I like and agree with Dottie's post. Its the fact that every opposing person (those who claim northern) claim that its 100% northern most of the time. The way the state is it contains mostly southern natively and a good bit of appalachian in the far west. Central MD contains every culture known to man...literally. Defining MD as northern due to central MD is wrong because it contains western, northern, southern and many many international cultures as well. Its the definition of a melting pot. Just seems everyone deems it northern only.

Imagine you alinging with a certain culture that you grew up with and someone comes in and tells you that its a farce. Its insulting. But to say MD is 100% anything is incorrect as we have 3 native cultures that are similar, but still pretty different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotty19 View Post
I agree 100% with this. I hope I don't come off as trying to pass Maryland as 100% southern. I just hate the sound of someone calling Maryland a Northeastern state without considering it's southern traits. It bothers me
Agreed.

Old 09-26-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:
But not once did I ever say that "MD is not Southern."
I haven't really heard you advocating parts of our Southern heritage.

Quote:
I'm not really sure what you mean by "and the worst of both worlds"
We've got the taxes and liberally aligned state government of the North. We've got Southern racial tensions and sprawl.

Quote:
rolling hills, marshes, plantations, flat farmland
Well, you better enjoy it while it lasts because it's being consumed by development. I miss the Maryland of the pre-late 80s/ early 90s. I'm sure some people here aren't old enough to remember it, but if you are, you probably understand what I am saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or