U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-26-2011, 06:47 PM

387 posts, read 386,646 times

Advertisements

I'm glad I share a similar temperament to other posters on this thread. When I first posted it just seemed to me that every time someone mentioned one of Maryland's northern traits they were bombarded by angry people who didn't see it that way and I was trying to give the other side a chance.

I'm from the Appalachian region of Maryland but just because it's Appalachian doesn't exclude it from being Northern or Southern. There are people in Allegany County that sound mostly northern with those Maryland and Appalachian dialect traits that give them a Southern twist. Then there are those from Allegany County that really have a Southern sound with a Northern twist that lets you know they're not from Tennessee or North Carolina. Just like the rest of the state, it can be quite visible that we're where everything meshes together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDguy99 View Post
Well, you better enjoy it while it lasts because it's being consumed by development. I miss the Maryland of the pre-late 80s/ early 90s. I'm sure some people here aren't old enough to remember it, but if you are, you probably understand what I am saying.
I really hope it doesn't all go away. When I was little, I went on summer camps to Sotterley Plantation (St. Mary's County) and Kent Island (Queen Anne's) and I loved them. They were truly beautiful places.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDguy99 View Post
I haven't really heard you advocating parts of our Southern heritage.
I mean it seemed to me that the "Maryland is Southern" camp was becoming the powerhouse of the thread. I'm just trying to keep it all in check. I can see both sides as anyone should be able to. I stated previously that nobody's gonna hurt my feelings for calling Maryland Southern. I can obviously see where you're coming from. Look at Southern Maryland and the Eastern Shore.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:09 PM

501 posts, read 602,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drs72 View Post

I mean it seemed to me that the "Maryland is Southern" camp was becoming the powerhouse of the thread.

Are you kidding? Check out the beginning of this thread and the other threads on this topic over the years. I was overjoyed to finally see (what, 3 or 4?) posters finally on my side of the opinion. We've had a ton of pro-MD is northern people on these threads. It's only been the past couple months where there's really been a stronger push for the other point of view. Anyway, I am glad to see that you seem to appreciate a lot of the natural beauty our state has and are similarly hoping that it won't be lost for the next generation- that's one of my biggest fears.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:18 PM

290 posts, read 257,894 times
Quote:
I'm glad I share a similar temperament to other posters on this thread. When I first posted it just seemed to me that every time someone mentioned one of Maryland's northern traits they were bombarded by angry people who didn't see it that way and I was trying to give the other side a chance.

I'm from the Appalachian region of Maryland but just because it's Appalachian doesn't exclude it from being Northern or Southern. There are people in Allegany County that sound mostly northern with those Maryland and Appalachian dialect traits that give them a Southern twist. Then there are those from Allegany County that really have a Southern sound with a Northern twist that lets you know they're not from Tennessee or North Carolina. Just like the rest of the state, it can be quite visible that we're where everything meshes together.
The only native culture that could be mistaken for northern is appalachian. But honestly I classify that as neither northern or southern, rather its its own region. But I can definitely see your point.

As for powerhouse, well im glad that its that way as its what native maryland is closer with for the most part. Sure some think the pan handle is more northern, but again appalachian culture is nothing other then appalachian. Plus PA, while very different then my culture doesnt specifically align in the mid to western sections with the north as much as other northern states. PA is well different.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:14 PM

10,013 posts, read 8,509,711 times
Quote:
So let me get this straight... unless I come on here and profess that Maryland is 100%, indisputably, no-question-about-it Southern, you all are going to keep coming back and trying to rip apart my arguments. I thought a centrist point of view would be respected but apparently not.
A "centrist" point of view is a cop out. Maryland is 80/20 towards northern in modern times. I have yet to read arguments in this thread that persuade me to think otherwise.

If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck..., then it most likely is a duck. It's that simple. (For those who aren't following, I'm using "duck" to mean northern state.)

Old 09-26-2011, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew_s View Post
The only native culture that could be mistaken for northern is appalachian. But honestly I classify that as neither northern or southern, rather its its own region. But I can definitely see your point.

As for powerhouse, well im glad that its that way as its what native maryland is closer with for the most part. Sure some think the pan handle is more northern, but again appalachian culture is nothing other then appalachian. Plus PA, while very different then my culture doesnt specifically align in the mid to western sections with the north as much as other northern states. PA is well different.
I get what you're saying. However, what I like to point out is that, on one hand, Pennsylvania is about 2/3 to 3/4 Appalachian. It is definitely Northern. Western North Carolina is also Appalachian. It is definitely Southern. Know what I mean? While Western Maryland is definitely more northern than say Charles or Wicomico Counties, and while I always saw us as northern, there's still a Southern aspect---just more along the lines of Mountain South, rather than Tidewater. We're at the crossroads like other parts of the state are in their geographic regions.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:11 PM

501 posts, read 602,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
A "centrist" point of view is a cop out. Maryland is 80/20 towards northern in modern times. I have yet to read arguments in this thread that persuade me to think otherwise.

If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck..., then it most likely is a duck. It's that simple. (For those who aren't following, I'm using "duck" to mean northern state.)
Wrong. So, an animal with feathers, webbed feet, and a bill, yet also with elephant tusks and a spotted 8-foot neck is a duck?

Old 09-26-2011, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
A "centrist" point of view is a cop out.
No it's not. This isn't North and South Korea. The culture on one side of the Mason-Dixon or one side of the Potomac isn't so different from the other. I've made my point of view clear. There are valid, completely accurate arguments for both sides. That's why we are a little of both.

Old 09-26-2011, 11:06 PM

290 posts, read 257,894 times
Quote:
I get what you're saying. However, what I like to point out is that, on one hand, Pennsylvania is about 2/3 to 3/4 Appalachian. It is definitely Northern. Western North Carolina is also Appalachian. It is definitely Southern. Know what I mean? While Western Maryland is definitely more northern than say Charles or Wicomico Counties, and while I always saw us as northern, there's still a Southern aspect---just more along the lines of Mountain South, rather than Tidewater. We're at the crossroads like other parts of the state are in their geographic regions.
Hence why I said central and western PA are...different.

The reason I dont count appalachian culture as northern or southern is while isolated in spots the culture shares aspects from GA to PA and beyond. Appalachian is its own culture and in my mind not classified by a compass point. But I will agree that south west PA north east WV and panhandle MD are all pretty darn similar.

But in my mind I dont see any of the 3 native cultures of maryland being northern at all. Technically 2 but you could argue 3. Appalachian, Peidmont and coastal/tidewater. The last 2 are relatively close.

Either waymaryland resides in dixie but has a rainbow of native cultures.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:44 PM

199 posts, read 177,957 times
It when its all said and done Maryland is more similar to Delaware, Virginia, North Carolina all uppersouth states than New Jersey, Connecticut, or Massachusetts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland