U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 12-30-2011, 11:08 AM
 
Location: PROUD Son of the South in Maryland
290 posts, read 250,215 times
Reputation: 104

Advertisements

Maryland lost alot of identity in the 1950s and 1960s with the expansion of the federal government. It brought alot of temporary residents in the 95 corridor area that have wiped most of our southern culture in that area. But head a few miles out west, south or east and youll see a whole different Maryland. Same arguement I have always had and will stick to.

Remeber these rules:

MD sits 100% in dixie.

MD couldnt seceed due to martial law and yankee occupation of the state.

Yeah maryland has traditionally been democratic, but so was the WHOLE south up until the 1970s. Ever heard of the solid south? We were apart of it until that influx in the 1950s of northeastern people settling here.

According to the federal government we are apart of the southern united states for the census.

We are one of the lucky few states in the Old South.

Our primary crops historically were cotton and tobacco.

Our climate is identical to south carolina and up.

Lincoln earned a whopping total of less then 2.5% of the votes in MD.

MD was a slave state until late 1864 despite yankee occupation.

There is more where that came from but honestly I dont feel I need to go on because I know my southern heritage and I cheerish it. Its also how I will raise my children as well. So get used to it transplants. While you may make up the majority of the population youll never truely kill our heritage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaframalama View Post
Maryland is as she was 160 years ago: a Southern state, occupied by Yankees.
Yep. We didnt have a choice ta the outbreak of the civil war just as from the 1960s on we had no choice with the government spreading and bringing peopel from all over to settle here temporarily. I wish everyday that they chose philly rather then DC for the capital as MD would be alot better off for it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I guess Delaware and South Jersey are to?
NO. Niether are on the dixie side of the mason dixon line. While deleware is east of MD it has never shared the same attitude with MD. Maybe southern DE away from the tourist beaches might. As for Jersey they couldnt be farther away culturally from us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afromatic View Post
It's definitely not a southern state anymore. When I'm in Maryland I don't here no southern accents.
Not going to the right places like stated above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaframalama View Post
And what the HELL is Delaware??
Deleware is technically on the other side of the mason dixon line and geographically isnt in dixie, but Im sure there are some people that think alike in some parts of deleware.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-30-2011, 12:36 PM
 
Location: Vineland, NJ area
6,598 posts, read 3,868,866 times
Reputation: 3605
[quote=andrew_s;22326232]

Quote:
MD sits 100% in dixie.
It depends on what we define as truly Dixie.

Quote:
MD couldnt seceed due to martial law and yankee occupation of the state.
The fact that the Yankees were able to do that in the first place proves that Maryland wasn't a strong southern state to begin with. Think about it, do you think that would have successfully worked against southern states like North Carolina, Georgia or even Virginia?

Quote:
According to the federal government we are apart of the southern united states for the census.
The census is not perfect as it is always changing its rules. You have to remember that at one time the census officially recognized blacks as 3/5 of a person and people of Irish descent were not considered white. It uses the flawed Mason-Dixon line approach as a way to divide the North and the South.

Quote:
Our climate is identical to south carolina and up.
Maryland's climate is also similar to states like Pennsylvania, Delaware, and New Jersey.

Quote:
Lincoln earned a whopping total of less then 2.5% of the votes in MD.
MD was a slave state until late 1864 despite yankee occupation.
But it wasn't a "Confederate State". A fact you continue to dance around!

Quote:
There is more where that came from but honestly I dont feel I need to go on because I know my southern heritage and I cheerish it. Its also how I will raise my children as well. So get used to it transplants. While you may make up the majority of the population youll never truely kill our heritage.
Your like a guy who believes that he lives in a southern state but everyone around tells him that he lives in a Northern state but he continues to deny the truth and would rather believe his state is still in the 18th century. Even if Maryland was a southern state almost all traces of that are long gone. Even you cant even deny that Maryland is undoubtedly now part of Northeast.

Also another thing, whats wrong with being a Northerner? The Yankees did win the war with the help of Maryland Union Soldiers. I think thats something all Marylanders should be proud of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2011, 01:18 PM
 
3,470 posts, read 3,338,772 times
Reputation: 1518
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew_s View Post
Our climate is identical to south carolina and up.
Literally laughed out loud at this one. When was the last time South Carolina got 70" of snow like Baltimore got in 2009/2010? When I think of the South, I don't really think of blizzards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew_s View Post
NO. Niether are on the dixie side of the mason dixon line. While deleware is east of MD it has never shared the same attitude with MD. Maybe southern DE away from the tourist beaches might. As for Jersey they couldnt be farther away culturally from us.

Deleware is technically on the other side of the mason dixon line and geographically isnt in dixie, but Im sure there are some people that think alike in some parts of deleware.
Well I guess you've never been out of Maryland, since you can't even spell the name of the state right next door. So you've obviously never been to Jersey...despite the massive population between Philly and NYC, it is still called "the Garden State" after all, and there are parts of NJ that probably share similar attitudes of "southern" Marylanders, same with parts of PA as well even though they're over the Mason Dixon Line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2011, 01:28 PM
 
Location: PROUD Son of the South in Maryland
290 posts, read 250,215 times
Reputation: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post


It depends on what we define as truly Dixie.
Anything south and west of the mason dixon line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
The fact that the Yankees were able to do that in the first place proves that Maryland wasn't a strong southern state to begin with. Think about it, do you think that would have successfully worked against southern states like North Carolina, Georgia or even Virginia?
Well at the outset of the civil war is when they occupied our state. Meaning there wasnt an army of NoVa to counter the northern army. The only things we had in place was militias and a govenor telling us to burn bridges to stop the northern aggression.


Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
The census is not perfect as it is always changing its rules. You have to remember that at one time the census officially recognized blacks as 3/5 of a person and people of Irish descent were not considered white. It uses the flawed Mason-Dixon line approach as a way to divide the North and the South.
While Ill agree the census is kinda funky look up southern united states and old south. Youll find maryland in both. Sure alot of deep southerners disagree but then again they think anything but gulf states arent southern.

As for flawed mason dixon line well thats an opinion statement. Sure the line originally was setup to remedy the disput between the penn's and calverts claims. But it has ever since defined the south. Only until recently when a HUGE influx of northeasterners settled here due to the expansion of government jobs has the idea changed and the reason isnt because we dont reside in dixie or arent southern, rather its because there are so many transplants in the central 95 corridor area that people always assume thats marylands identity. Thats ignorance and wrong.


Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Maryland's climate is also similar to states like Pennsylvania, Delaware, and New Jersey.
Ill agree appalachian maryland is similar to PA but they get much much colder. My buddy lived northwest of boonsboro maryland and moved to altoona for 1.5 years and told me it gets alot colder and more snow in PA then MD.


Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
But it wasn't a "Confederate State". A fact you continue to dance around!
Again had lincoln followed the law it would have been. Aint no dancing around as the state was looking for nuetrality at first but sought to join just not in time.

On top of imprisoning EVERY sympathizer without trial, and martial law(which the supreme court didnt like) hicks turned into a puppet and held a meeting in the most unionist part of the state with all southern sympathizers imprisoned to vote for which side they would be on. Gee I wonder why it didnt join the the south... Mr. Lincoln broke several laws and put aside the rights of many Americans in maryland to ensure the capital wasnt surrounded by confederate states. DC resides in dixie and he knew it.

On a side note he did the same damn thing in kentucky just not as harsh as maryland as they werent as likely to join the south.



Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Your like a guy who believes that he lives in a southern state but everyone around tells him that he lives in a Northern state but he continues to deny the truth and would rather believe his state is still in the 18th century. Even if Maryland was a southern state almost all traces of that are long gone. Even you cant even deny that Maryland is undoubtedly now part of Northeast.

Also another thing, whats wrong with being a Northerner? The Yankees did win the war with the help of Maryland Union Soldiers. I think thats something all Marylanders should be proud of.
No, Im the guy who REFUSES to assimilate into the northeastern transplants that come here and try to claim our state. Yall can come visit if you need a dose of dixie or if youll quitely live here and observe and leave our way of life alone. But if you think you can come down here and take our state you got another thing coming.

Just because a bunch of loud rude northerners come down here to live DOES NOT erase our southern status. Hell most of yall dont live here for long and move on. SO dont try to identify MD with that group cause a year or so later youll be saying maryland is a western state due to all the californians living here...

As for maryland soliders there were ZERO recruiting for the south in maryland due to martial law yet still 25,000 fought for the south. Had there been recruiting that number surely would have been MUCH larger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2011, 01:41 PM
 
Location: PROUD Son of the South in Maryland
290 posts, read 250,215 times
Reputation: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Literally laughed out loud at this one. When was the last time South Carolina got 70" of snow like Baltimore got in 2009/2010? When I think of the South, I don't really think of blizzards.
You say this as if we get a blizzard every year. The last time we got one was 2002 or 2003. Once every 7-8 years doesnt define us as a blizzard state.

As of right now there are deep southern states that have more snow then us this season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Well I guess you've never been out of Maryland, since you can't even spell the name of the state right next door. So you've obviously never been to Jersey...despite the massive population between Philly and NYC, it is still called "the Garden State" after all, and there are parts of NJ that probably share similar attitudes of "southern" Marylanders, same with parts of PA as well even though they're over the Mason Dixon Line.
I have travled to both states alot. Jersey is a horrible state IMHO. You like it? Thats fine, but I dont. As for PA well thats a decent state but its very different (although northern maryland shares alot of culture). As for deleware when did I mispell it? Im using IE9 right now (hate it btw) and it doesnt have spell check for fast posting.

All the many times I have been throughout jersey I have never once met a person with similar thinking or culture. But keep thinking that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2011, 03:12 PM
 
536 posts, read 853,969 times
Reputation: 324
I think that Maryland's "Southerness" for the most part these days is heavily diluted, watered down, and heavily subtle. It's not as glaringly or unabashedly "Southern" as other states, and that tends to throw people off. To truly find Southerness in Maryland, you have to dig for it, or go off the beaten path.

I also feel that Maryland's "Northeastern" characteristics for the most part is heavily transplanted & manufactured. It doesn't feel genuine or native to the state at all, like it does to states to the north. That's one of the reasons why I don't consider it to be a Northern state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2011, 03:13 PM
 
Location: Vineland, NJ area
6,598 posts, read 3,868,866 times
Reputation: 3605
[quote=andrew_s;22328327]Anything south and west of the mason dixon line.

Quote:
Well at the outset of the civil war is when they occupied our state. Meaning there wasnt an army of NoVa to counter the northern army. The only things we had in place was militias and a govenor telling us to burn bridges to stop the northern aggression.
I'm not talking about Virginia, I'm talking about just Maryland.


Quote:
As for flawed mason dixon line well thats an opinion statement. Sure the line originally was setup to remedy the disput between the penn's and calverts claims. But it has ever since defined the south. Only until recently when a HUGE influx of northeasterners settled here due to the expansion of government jobs has the idea changed and the reason isnt because we dont reside in dixie or arent southern, rather its because there are so many transplants in the central 95 corridor area that people always assume thats marylands identity. Thats ignorance and wrong.
The fact that the original purpose of the Mason-Dixon line had nothing to do with dividing the North from the South automatically makes a flawed approach to begin with.

Quote:
Again had lincoln followed the law it would have been. Aint no dancing around as the state was looking for nuetrality at first but sought to join just not in time. On top of imprisoning EVERY sympathizer without trial, and martial law(which the supreme court didnt like) hicks turned into a puppet and held a meeting in the most unionist part of the state with all southern sympathizers imprisoned to vote for which side they would be on. Gee I wonder why it didnt join the the south... Mr. Lincoln broke several laws and put aside the rights of many Americans in maryland to ensure the capital wasnt surrounded by confederate states. DC resides in dixie and he knew it.
Again the fact that it happen proved Maryland wasn't a true Southern State. If Lincoln would've tried to do that in states like Tennesee, North Carolina, and Virginia he and all the Yankees would've been ran outta town as Southerners wouldn't have put up with that.

Quote:
On a side note he did the same damn thing in kentucky just not as harsh as maryland as they werent as likely to join the south.
Kentucky had a fair amount of Confederate soldiers even though they remained nuetral. As for the other Border state West Virginia, it had (and still to this day) a strong Appalachian culture in which many of the people were against slavery. But West Virginia is a whole nother topic in itself.

Quote:
No, Im the guy who REFUSES to assimilate into the northeastern transplants that come here and try to claim our state. Yall can come visit if you need a dose of dixie or if youll quitely live here and observe and leave our way of life alone. But if you think you can come down here and take our state you got another thing coming.
They already did during the Civil War

Quote:
Just because a bunch of loud rude northerners come down here to live DOES NOT erase our southern status. Hell most of yall dont live here for long and move on. SO dont try to identify MD with that group cause a year or so later youll be saying maryland is a western state due to all the californians living here...
At the end of the day Maryland is part the Northeast whether you like it or not. Its largest city Baltimore is a Northern city. Even part of Philly MSA is in Maryland(Cecil County). It wouldn't surprise me to see the Eastern Maryland beaches turn into something similar to the Jersey Shore in culture. Maybe it already happened.

Quote:
As for maryland soliders there were ZERO recruiting for the south in maryland due to martial law yet still 25,000 fought for the south. Had there been recruiting that number surely would have been MUCH larger.
History says otherwise.

General Sources About Maryland Union Units
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2011, 03:44 PM
 
536 posts, read 853,969 times
Reputation: 324
I'm far from a Confederate sympathizer/apologist, but I'm sure we all know that there were a good number of Marylanders with Confederate sympathies, and there were a good numbers of soldiers and officers from Maryland who served in the Confederacy. (As a side note, there's also the controversy over the state song, that has been proposed to be changed many times, all of which have been unsuccessful).

However, there's also a good number of Confederate statues and monuments throughout the state. There's even a Robert E. Lee Memorial Park outside of the city of Baltimore. There's also a statue of him and Stonewall Jackson, I believe, somewhere within the city.


I try to refrain from this kind of rebuttal, but an honest question -- is there a state north of Maryland in the eastern half of the country that has monuments, graves and memorials exclusively for Confederate soldiers, or has parks and such named after Confederate officers? Is there a state outside the South that would let these things fly without outrage from opposition?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2011, 03:47 PM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
16,754 posts, read 16,220,528 times
Reputation: 16083
Southern characteristics of MD:
Cuisine, SoMD stuffed ham (leeks) at Easter

Grits are automatic for breakfast at restaurants (not the chains)

Slavery until the end of the Recent Unpleasantness

Plantation style politics (your water main breaks you call your State Delegate to report it, not the Public Works Department where you live)

Y'all is lncluded in speaking

County based school systems

Appointed School Boards
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2011, 04:02 PM
 
Location: PROUD Son of the South in Maryland
290 posts, read 250,215 times
Reputation: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post


I'm not talking about Virginia, I'm talking about just Maryland.
Well being as that was the main southern army and closest in proximity to MD I would say its quite significant. The maryland line also was apart of the army of NoVa so there is more relevance.


Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
The fact that the original purpose of the Mason-Dixon line had nothing to do with dividing the North from the South automatically makes a flawed approach to begin with.
Yes the line originally was a land dispute, but has from early US days defined the north and south. Still does today whether you like it or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Again the fact that it happen proved Maryland wasn't a true Southern State. If Lincoln would've tried to do that in states like Tennesee, North Carolina, and Virginia he and all the Yankees would've been ran outta town as Southerners wouldn't have put up with that.
With martial law he could do anything and even the original state to seceed would have had nothing to remedy the situation. At the time of original occupation no standing southern army existed, therefore no state could have fought it. I know maryland and kentucky couldnt, so what makes you think any other state could have done so????

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Kentucky had a fair amount of Confederate soldiers even though they remained nuetral. As for the other Border state West Virginia, it had (and still to this day) a strong Appalachian culture in which many of the people were against slavery. But West Virginia is a whole nother topic in itself.
Their government voted against secession.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
At the end of the day Maryland is part the Northeast whether you like it or not. Its largest city Baltimore is a Northern city. Even part of Philly MSA is in Maryland(Cecil County). It wouldn't surprise me to see the Eastern Maryland beaches turn into something similar to the Jersey Shore in culture. Maybe it already happened.
Hey let me ask you something: What city was the first to attack northern troops on the ground and not with cannons? Answer is Baltimore.

We are NOT the northeast, while we have alot of yall down here taking our jobs. But that does NOT classify us as a northeast state and NEVER will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Yeah 60,000 joined the union on a promise of home guard duty. Had the south had even a few recruitment centers it would have been MUCH different. Despite ZERO recruitment 25,000 or more joined the south, now what does that tell you? Well it sure tells me that people wnated to join the south enough to give ALOT of troops without being asked. Imagine had people been given the choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Southern characteristics of MD:
Cuisine, SoMD stuffed ham (leeks) at Easter

Grits are automatic for breakfast at restaurants (not the chains)

Slavery until the end of the Recent Unpleasantness

Plantation style politics (your water main breaks you call your State Delegate to report it, not the Public Works Department where you live)

Y'all is lncluded in speaking

County based school systems

Appointed School Boards
Dont forget Amen and yes sir/maam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top