U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2011, 04:35 PM

8,386 posts, read 9,978,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyserSoze View Post

I try to refrain from this kind of rebuttal, but an honest question -- is there a state north of Maryland in the eastern half of the country that has monuments, graves and memorials exclusively for Confederate soldiers, or has parks and such named after Confederate officers? Is there a state outside the South that would let these things fly without outrage from opposition?
There are cemeteries in Pennsylvania that hold both Confederate and Union soldiers' graves. I'm not sure about New York or New Jersey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Southern characteristics of MD:
Cuisine, SoMD stuffed ham (leeks) at Easter

Grits are automatic for breakfast at restaurants (not the chains)

Slavery until the end of the Recent Unpleasantness

Plantation style politics (your water main breaks you call your State Delegate to report it, not the Public Works Department where you live)

Y'all is lncluded in speaking

County based school systems

Appointed School Boards
People say "Y'all" all over the country, its not just a southern term anymore. I think its mostly do to the "Great Black Migrations" from the South.

Old 12-30-2011, 04:49 PM

5,690 posts, read 7,291,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew_s View Post
Well at the outset of the civil war is when they occupied our state. Meaning there wasnt an army of NoVa to counter the northern army. The only things we had in place was militias and a govenor telling us to burn bridges to stop the northern aggression.

You say this like you fought in the Civil War or something.

Quote:
You say this as if we get a blizzard every year. The last time we got one was 2002 or 2003. Once every 7-8 years doesnt define us as a blizzard state.

As of right now there are deep southern states that have more snow then us this season.
Never said they got blizzards every year. But no way in heck would I say Maryland's climate is identical to North or South Carolina. It is much more similar to PA/NJ's than it is to NC/SC (I live in NC now after living in MD for 2 years and growing up in NJ).

Quote:
I have travled to both states alot. Jersey is a horrible state IMHO. You like it? Thats fine, but I dont. As for PA well thats a decent state but its very different (although northern maryland shares alot of culture). As for deleware when did I mispell it? Im using IE9 right now (hate it btw) and it doesnt have spell check for fast posting.

All the many times I have been throughout jersey I have never once met a person with similar thinking or culture. But keep thinking that.
Ever been to Salem or Cumberland counties? You probably had no reason to go there, but you'd find many people there that think they're in the South (In fact if you've seen this satirical map - http://i.imgur.com/Pwnf4.jpg, that would be "pretty much Alabama").

And it's DelAware. You shouldn't need spellcheck. Even if you were 200 years old as evidenced by your Civil War stories, you should know how to spell it, since it was the first state and all.

Old 12-30-2011, 04:51 PM

32,176 posts, read 39,339,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
There are cemeteries in Pennsylvania that hold both Confederate and Union soldiers' graves. I'm not sure about New York or New Jersey.

The ones in PA are mostly around Gettysburg. Nothing in New York or New Jersey as far as I know, unless there were POW camps in those states. There's a CSA cemetery at Point Lookout in St. Mary's County here, a Union run POW camp which suffered from disease and starvation much like Andersonville.

A note, I'm from PA.

Old 12-30-2011, 05:49 PM

9,397 posts, read 13,261,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Plantation style politics (your water main breaks you call your State Delegate to report it, not the Public Works Department where you live)
Why wouldn't I call WSSC?

Old 12-30-2011, 06:12 PM

32,176 posts, read 39,339,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Why wouldn't I call WSSC?
Or WSSC. You might, many people would not. That's the "plantation style" I'm talking about.

You think a new playground is needed? Why talk to the County Commissioners or Town Council when you can call Delegate________ or Senator___________, whose offices just kick back to where it should have gone in the first place?

You have a pothole on your street? Why of course you contact the Delegate.

You see your neighbor's house being broken into? Do you call 911 to report it? No, you wait for three weeks until the next Town Council meeting to mention it by asking "Did you know that ______ was robbed 3 weeks ago?" When the Deputy in attendance says he had no record of it you respond "Well of course not, I wanted to tell you all here about it".

Old 12-30-2011, 07:45 PM

9,397 posts, read 13,261,589 times
O_o i'd definitely call 911, what mong wouldn't? I get what you're saying though.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:27 PM

77 posts, read 69,867 times
Quote:
You say this as if we get a blizzard every year. The last time we got one was 2002 or 2003. Once every 7-8 years doesnt define us as a blizzard state.

As of right now there are deep southern states that have more snow then us this season.

I have travled to both states alot. Jersey is a horrible state IMHO. You like it? Thats fine, but I dont. As for PA well thats a decent state but its very different (although northern maryland shares alot of culture). As for deleware when did I mispell it? Im using IE9 right now (hate it btw) and it doesnt have spell check for fast posting.

All the many times I have been throughout jersey I have never once met a person with similar thinking or culture. But keep thinking that.

Hmm... pretty interesting...I"m from Jersey (south) and have relatives and friends who have moved to Maryland over the past 15 years... all around the Montgomery County area and south... so while you may say you have never met a Jersey person with similar thinking or culture , you may have a few of them around you and not even know it

Old 12-30-2011, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marehoodlum View Post
Hmm... pretty interesting...I"m from Jersey (south) and have relatives and friends who have moved to Maryland over the past 15 years... all around the Montgomery County area and south... so while you may say you have never met a Jersey person with similar thinking or culture , you may have a few of them around you and not even know it
I know I might take a lot of heat for this statement but one could argue that most of South Jersey has more in common with Maryland than it does with Northern New Jersey.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:38 PM

5,690 posts, read 7,291,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marehoodlum View Post

Well to be fair I don't think anyone would consider Montgomery County as having much of a Southern culture at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I know I might take a lot of heat for this statement but one could argue that most of South Jersey has more in common with Maryland than it does with Northern New Jersey.
I think I might've said that earlier in this thread
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or