U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2012, 10:31 PM

386 posts, read 530,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atl85 View Post
Maryland? Southern state? I don't think so. I am a native Atlantan and there is little that I find southern abut Maryland. There is a southern feel to many areas south and east of Washington, but as far as being as southern culturally as the Carolinas or even Virginia? No. Just no. The Civil War was what? 147 years ago? How is that a basis for how Maryland is a southern state today? Although none of us were around, I think it is safe to say that Maryland is just slightly different now than it was in the 1860's.

The Baltimore accent sounds identical to the Philadelphia accent to me, which is not southern at all. The accent on the Eastern Shore has a slight twang to it, but it still sounds a lot like a general mid-Atlantic/Baltimore/Philadelphia accent.

If you want to see Southern, come to South Carolina or Georgia. After a solid day or two, there will be no question that Maryland is far, far, far away from a southern state.

Southern states are: Virginia (south of a line from Harrisonburg, Fredericksburg, and the Maryland/Virginia border on the DelMarVa peninsula), North Carolina, South Carolina, Florida, Kentucky (except the Cincinnati suburbs), most of West Virginia, Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee, Arkansas, Mississippi, and Louisiana. That's it.
Like i said north east and deep southerners. Thank you for proving my point. One day people will realize there are different identities throughout regions. But I guess thatisnt the case here...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 05:26 AM

5,668 posts, read 7,258,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew_s View Post
One day people will realize there are different identities throughout regions.
That's what a lot of people have been saying in this thread. You were one of the few trying to claim all of MD as part of the south.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:17 AM

5,668 posts, read 7,258,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew_s View Post
Agreed. Although I come from two parts of the state Ill have to agree. The only reason I argue is because of NE people coming down here and definitively saying its a northern state or deep southerners saying the same thing. Neither were raised here or know the true state. Mix that with being told what you are by somebody else who knows nothing about you.
By the way, you keep saying things like "I'm being told who I am by somebody else," yet earlier you've also basically said "there's nothing southern about NJ" even though you've never lived there, which seems a little hypocritical in my opinion. If you ran into someone in Salem county NJ who thought they were southern, would you reply by saying "no you're not"?

Old 01-06-2012, 04:17 PM

171 posts, read 150,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atl85 View Post
Maryland? Southern state? I don't think so. I am a native Atlantan and there is little that I find southern abut Maryland. There is a southern feel to many areas south and east of Washington, but as far as being as southern culturally as the Carolinas or even Virginia? No. Just no. The Civil War was what? 147 years ago? How is that a basis for how Maryland is a southern state today? Although none of us were around, I think it is safe to say that Maryland is just slightly different now than it was in the 1860's.

The Baltimore accent sounds identical to the Philadelphia accent to me, which is not southern at all. The accent on the Eastern Shore has a slight twang to it, but it still sounds a lot like a general mid-Atlantic/Baltimore/Philadelphia accent.

If you want to see Southern, come to South Carolina or Georgia. After a solid day or two, there will be no question that Maryland is far, far, far away from a southern state.

Southern states are: Virginia (south of a line from Harrisonburg, Fredericksburg, and the Maryland/Virginia border on the DelMarVa peninsula), North Carolina, South Carolina, Florida, Kentucky (except the Cincinnati suburbs), most of West Virginia, Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee, Arkansas, Mississippi, and Louisiana. That's it.

THANK YOU for NOT including Texas!! (Seriously, not sarcasm)

Old 01-06-2012, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs72 View Post
I mean this isn't the thread for this discussion, but I've heard the claim multiple times and I tend to agree. West of the Alleghenies seems to have Midwestern characteristics. Pittsburgh's way closer to the Great Lakes than the ocean and it's closer to (and more like) Cleveland than Philly. It's definitely not Northeastern, that's for sure.

Wholeheartedly agree. And really, the fact that Pittsburgh's pro sports teams are both classified as Midwestern (by their respective conference/division), is telling...

Old 01-06-2012, 05:01 PM

2,051 posts, read 4,843,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaframalama View Post
THANK YOU for NOT including Texas!! (Seriously, not sarcasm)
I agree. Everybody knows Texas is deeply set in being Mexican.

Old 01-06-2012, 05:29 PM

32,103 posts, read 39,155,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drs72 View Post
I mean this isn't the thread for this discussion, but I've heard the claim multiple times and I tend to agree. West of the Alleghenies seems to have Midwestern characteristics. Pittsburgh's way closer to the Great Lakes than the ocean and it's closer to (and more like) Cleveland than Philly. It's definitely not Northeastern, that's for sure.
Seeing as how Pittsburgh pre-dates Cleveland the phrasing should be reversed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaframalama View Post
Wholeheartedly agree. And really, the fact that Pittsburgh's pro sports teams are both classified as Midwestern (by their respective conference/division), is telling...

Hockey/Penguins:
Eastern/Atlantic Conference

Football/Steelers
AFC North

Baseball/Pirates
NL Central, which also includes Cincinnati

Old 01-06-2012, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Seeing as how Pittsburgh pre-dates Cleveland the phrasing should be reversed.

Hockey/Penguins:
Eastern/Atlantic Conference

Football/Steelers
AFC North

Baseball/Pirates
NL Central, which also includes Cincinnati

Yes, exactly. With the exception of the NFL's Baltimore Ravens, and Pittsburgh Steelers (which I still stand by that it is Midwestern) both these sports' conferences' house midwestern teams.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
That's what a lot of people have been saying in this thread. You were one of the few trying to claim all of MD as part of the south.
I never once said culturally the whole state is southern. Im only saying the state itself resides 100% in dixie. Read my posts and youll see. There is no way for the northern parts not to be close to south pa culturally. But then again appalachia pa is very close to southern appalachia culture (hence why I have no issues with most of the state). Hell you cant even say the most "southern" states have 100% southern culture or even close due to transplants and such.

Again this discussion isnt about culture, rather its about where the state lies and that is 100% in dixie no matter how many yankees temporarily call it home.

Old 01-07-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
By the way, you keep saying things like "I'm being told who I am by somebody else," yet earlier you've also basically said "there's nothing southern about NJ" even though you've never lived there, which seems a little hypocritical in my opinion. If you ran into someone in Salem county NJ who thought they were southern, would you reply by saying "no you're not"?
I would say that as they are on the other side of the line. Southern like? You can find that everywhere...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or