U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2012, 02:25 AM

7,259 posts, read 5,571,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paiz View Post
In many ways it is, starting with the Baltimore accent and dialect. Also DC is more fast paced than Baltimore is by a long shot. When I rode the subway from Shot Tower to Mondawmin people moved relatively slow and stood on both the left and right side of the escalator. If that were to happen in DC you would get knocked down or cursed out. People in Baltimore are not in a hurry which is a southern trait.
I disagree with accents and dialect. I think the DC accent about as southern as the tidewater accent. Baltimore's accent is very strange, but a wouldn't call it southern. However, I do acknowledge that fact that many people in Baltimore (perhaps DC too) are 2 or 3 generations Baltimoreans. None of my grandparents are from here. 3 were born in NC and one was born in VA. As far a being fast paced, many big cities aren't as fast paced as DC.. Philly isn't. I don't think it has much to do with north or south; I think it's more white collar, blue collar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 07:15 AM

9,936 posts, read 5,803,027 times
Northeast US (ah, there's Maryland):

American Banner Exchange - Targeted Regional United States Zones

Vacation Northeast USA - Vacation Travel Information on Campgrounds and

WALL MAP OF NORTHEAST REGION UNITED STATES

Eastern Pineshoot Borer - FIDL

Empire Abrasive : Sales Team

[MD seen here as mid-Atlantic]
File:Hurricane warning breakpoints (Northeastern US).gif - Wikimedia Commons

Wiki going with Maryland being MidAtlantic
http://wikitravel.org/en/Maryland

Southeast US
Hmm, I don't see Maryland here:
http://www.examiner.com/green-reside...edits-by-state

You may have to take this up with the Natl Park Service, because I don't see Maryland listed as being part of the south:
Great Smoky Mountains National Park - Wildland fire module (U.S. National Park Service)

Old 02-07-2012, 07:02 PM

582 posts, read 742,314 times
If you consider Virginia southern, then Maryland is southern. If you consider Virginia Mid-Atlantic, then Maryland is Mid-Atlantic. But there is no chance in hell that MD is northeast, geographically or culturally.
But it really depends on your criteria.

Slow pace of life? Maryland operates at a much slower, more leisurely pace than Virginia as far as I can tell.

Southern food? Marland has a mixture of Southern food and local food.

Opinion of the locals? Folks from the bay area generally think they're southern, out west they identify more with PA, which I would argue is not much of a NE state either.

Opinion of most "northerners" i've met: "MD is a Southern state" or "It's just an extension of Washington"

Opinion of most "southerners" i've met: "MD is definitely not southern, but it's a lot more southern than northern".

But really I think this problem comes from this ridiculous idea that we need to draw a line between north and south; theres no clear cultural boundaries, you don't just step up from VA to MD and find entirely different people there. Even the groups are a bit stupid. VA, MD, and PA act a lot more like each other than they act like Alabama or Massachusetts. States can't really be mushed into silly groups like "Northeast" and "Southeast".

Old 02-10-2012, 06:36 PM

4,726 posts, read 10,026,363 times
It's instructive to look at other state forums where this question crops up. Inevitably, they are states on the borders of larger regions. Delaware had a long-running thread questioning whether DE is in the South; Texas also has had more than one thread questioning what region of the country it falls within. Maryland's situation is the same thing and pretty much the same as Delaware's. Underscoring the fact that states don't really conform in many instances to neat regional categorization, I recall that William Least Heat Moon's travelogue, Blue Highways (if I recall the title correctly) included his perception of the culturally Southern aspect of South Jersey's Pine Barrens country.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:58 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,697,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post

Southeast US
Southeast Energy Efficiency Tax Credits by State - National Green Residential | Examiner.com

You may have to take this up with the Natl Park Service, because I don't see Maryland listed as being part of the south:
Great Smoky Mountains National Park - Wildland fire module (U.S. National Park Service)
Maryland is still a southern state.........

Old 02-12-2012, 07:14 PM

388 posts, read 661,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post

Southeast US
Southeast Energy Efficiency Tax Credits by State - National Green Residential | Examiner.com

Those are not good sources.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:42 PM

67 posts, read 183,675 times
Can somebody tell me what delineates Maryland from other Northeastern states? I will bend and go as far as to say that Maryland's Eastern Shore has the a southern vibe, but beside that I just don't see/hear/feel it.

I still assert that the South doesn't start until one goes well into Virginia.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:21 AM

7,259 posts, read 5,571,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atl85 View Post
Can somebody tell me what delineates Maryland from other Northeastern states? I will bend and go as far as to say that Maryland's Eastern Shore has the a southern vibe, but beside that I just don't see/hear/feel it.

I still assert that the South doesn't start until one goes well into Virginia.
The south starts at Fredericksburg, VA.

Old 02-13-2012, 04:20 AM

2,052 posts, read 4,856,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
The south starts at Fredericksburg, VA.
Actually the south starts at the Mason Dixon line. Washington is currently being occupied by Damn Yankees.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:15 AM

5,690 posts, read 7,294,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
Maryland is still a southern state.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs72 View Post
Those are not good sources.
Thanks for these very detailed responses
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or