U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-14-2012, 09:20 PM

3,541 posts, read 3,477,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post
-I live in southern PA now. The weather is entirely different and far more temperate here. VA and NC seem a lot more similar to me. In VA, even far inland, I felt okay year round with the weather. In PA I feel weather-shocked due to the differences. It is so temperate here that it bores me. Miss the extremes honestly.

But really this whole southern/northern thing is ridiculous. Maryland is neither. The DC area is... I have no idea honestly, multicultural but weird. Baltimore doesn't remind me even slightly of Philly or somewhere like that, but it doesn't seem like anywhere to the south either. The coastal and bay areas are kind of their own thing or like eastern VA though not as built up. Western MD is like PA more than anything else as far as I can tell.

I also don't consider PA northern, it's appalachian culture, not northern culture, and the two cities are fairly typical.

Similarly, I don't consider VA truly southern, it's seems either appalachian, Chesapeake, DC suburbia, or just country depending on the place. You could call the country people there southern but to me they just seem like ordinary rural people.

Honestly I feel both at home in PA and VA, but more comfortable in southern VA with the culture and people who I feel I fit in with better, so maybe you could say that means i'm southern, but I hold that Maryland is neither north nor south, its a combo of Chesapeake bay / coastal culture which it shares with DL and eastern VA and appalachian culture which it shares with PA, WV, and to a lesser extent western VA. Then there is the urban central area which I can't really place, but we can call that northern simply because of the NE corridor.
We discussed the weather comparisons a few pages back as well. Just like with the different cultures in the different parts of Maryland, the weather is different in the different parts of Maryland as well (which is kinda what you were saying at the end of your post). I'm still going to disagree that MD's climate is similar to NC's. Looking at a couple of those climate maps that were posted previously, the Eastern Shore was really the only area that had a similar climate to NC, and that is the main area that many would consider Southern. But having lived in MD (Baltimore), NJ, PA and NC, the Baltimore climate was nearly identical to the climate in a lot of NJ and central and eastern PA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 10:57 PM

2,585 posts, read 1,875,791 times
Quote:
This is what I was trying to point out. County identification is strongest is Maryland, and I was trying to say that this was because the state developed as plantations rather than towns. Counties were originally formed here to organize the militia because the only town to begin with was the old capitol of St. Mary's. I'm not saying we live on plantations now, just that the present county identification results from this.

It is always funny though. Everywhere else I go people ask where i'm from in MD and I answer by county. They're always confused and then ask what's the issue with all us Marylanders.
I never noticed that. I'll have to pay more attention to it. When I ask a person where they live, they usually give a specific town i.e. Towson, Pikesville, Catonsville...etc.

Old 02-14-2012, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
We discussed the weather comparisons a few pages back as well. Just like with the different cultures in the different parts of Maryland, the weather is different in the different parts of Maryland as well (which is kinda what you were saying at the end of your post). I'm still going to disagree that MD's climate is similar to NC's. Looking at a couple of those climate maps that were posted previously, the Eastern Shore was really the only area that had a similar climate to NC, and that is the main area that many would consider Southern. But having lived in MD (Baltimore), NJ, PA and NC, the Baltimore climate was nearly identical to the climate in a lot of NJ and central and eastern PA
It is identical. My brother lives in philly and when he says "its nice outside" in philly, it's usually nice outside here in Baltimore. When he says "it's cold as ****," in philly, it's usually cold as **** here too.

Old 02-14-2012, 11:23 PM

15 posts, read 13,262 times
I noticed some people saying that Delaware was part of the south, but in fact it is East and North of the M-D Line. It was unique in it was the only Union state that allowed ownership of slaves. I learned all this upon moving to Delaware from upstate New York. I thought it was a southern-ish state as well, but they made sure to correct me on that one...lol

Old 02-14-2012, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman82 View Post
I noticed some people saying that Delaware was part of the south, but in fact it is East and North of the M-D Line. It was unique in it was the only Union state that allowed ownership of slaves. I learned all this upon moving to Delaware from upstate New York. I thought it was a southern-ish state as well, but they made sure to correct me on that one...lol
If im in DE, I drive west and I'm in the south. If I'm in Vineland, NJ, I Fly NW to a southern city (Baltimore).

Old 02-14-2012, 11:45 PM

534 posts, read 341,415 times
Fair enough. We'll say Baltimore area climate is like Philly.
When I say it's cold as **** here, my folks back home say it's just slightly cold. Maryland probably has different climate areas, to add to that I live up in the mountains now. I lived by the water in southern Maryland growing up. That could explain my perceived weather differences. You're from northern Maryland, and Philly is not in the mountains. So that could explain your perceived lack of difference.

I do remember coming from PA to visit Baltimore back in November. I noticed a huge change in temperature, much, much warmer and more humid. But then again, I came from the mountains in central PA, not from Philly.

The Baltimore area doesn't follow the county thing really, the areas with a lot of named towns or neighborhoods (The urban areas) tend to identify by towns more for certain. If I asked someone from Towson where he was from, he would say Towson, not Baltimore County. That is understandable since Towson has more of it's own identity rather than a county identity.

I have heard this question countless times though: "Why do Marylanders always identify by county?"
So it must be fairly common. My Pennsylvanian friends thought it was really weird that there was so much emphasis on county government and county police in MD. Here in PA everyone goes by the town, even if it is tiny. The county government appears nonexistent and there are no county police as far as I can tell. The counties here are also much bigger. My county is over 2/3s the size of the entire state of Maryland, unless my sources are lying.

Also I see county flags all the time in MD, many counties are coated with theirs. It took me quite a while of searching to find my PA county flag. I've never seen it before and neither has anyone else here. Apparently it was made official in 1909 and never seen again.
Of course it doesn't seem like PA even likes to fly its state flag. Just the stars and stripes. Though I saw a confederate flag in PA a few months ago while visiting my archery shop in Lancaster. Found it a bit odd.

Last edited by Tezcatlipoca; 02-15-2012 at 12:03 AM..

Old 02-14-2012, 11:48 PM

534 posts, read 341,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman82 View Post
Maryland was a Union State and allowed slaves. Although those Marylanders who believe MD is southern will point out that Maryland did try to secede and may have succeeded in doing so if not for the invasion and martial law.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Fair enough. We'll say Baltimore area climate is like Philly.
When I say it's cold as **** here, my folks back home say it's just slightly cold. Maryland probably has different climate areas, to add to that I live up in the mountains now. I lived by the water in southern Maryland growing up. That could explain my perceived weather differences. You're from northern Maryland, and Philly is not in the mountains. So that could explain your perceived lack of difference.

I do remember coming from PA to visit Baltimore back in November. I noticed a huge change in temperature, much, much warmer and more humid. But then again, I came from the mountains in central PA, not from Philly.

The Baltimore area doesn't follow the county thing really, the areas with a lot of named towns or neighborhoods (The urban areas) tend to identify by towns more for certain. If I asked someone from Towson where he was from, he would say Towson, not Baltimore County. That is understandable since Towson has more of it's own identity rather than a county identity.

I have heard this question countless times though: "Why do Marylanders always identify by county?"
So it must be fairly common. My Pennsylvanian friends thought it was really weird that there was so much emphasis on county government and county police in MD. Here in PA everyone goes by the town, even if it is tiny. The county government appears nonexistent and there are no county police as far as I can tell. The counties here are also much bigger. My county is over 2/3s the size of the entire state of Maryland, unless my sources are lying.
What county do you live in? I dont think there's any county in PA 2/3 the size of Maryland. Not possible.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:29 AM

12 posts, read 22,554 times
Delaware, Maryland, and West Virginia are neither Northern or Southern. They are all in-between.

Old 02-15-2012, 04:29 AM

1,750 posts, read 2,768,818 times
Quote:
It is always funny though. Everywhere else I go people ask where i'm from in MD and I answer by county. They're always confused and then ask what's the issue with all us Marylanders.
I tell people I'm from Mayo. Then I get that blank stare. Then I say it's just south of Annapolis. Then they say "Ahh".

But...

When meeting another person that is also from Maryland, I will admit that we usually exchange county origin first and then which post office delivers our mail.

In Anne Arundel County the post office you get your mail from defines where you live. People that live in the Cape St. Claire area often tell people they're from Annapolis, despite that the fact that on bad traffic days it can take quite a while to get from Annapolis to Cape St Claire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland