U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2012, 05:35 AM

7,260 posts, read 5,574,183 times

Advertisements

I Agree that Maryland is NOT southern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 08:01 AM

386 posts, read 532,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Yeah, all the impeach Obama stuff is heavy up here in Western Maryland, our towns are defined by the steeples of churches. And you correct about the fact that South isn't a monolyth. It has many different sub-region linked by......................an acceptance of a common "Southern" heritage.

I will say that I don't think Western Maryland (Allegany and Garrett) is easily defined as North or South. We are Appalachia. Its own region. You will find natives up here with Rebel Flags, Confederate ancestors and Southern accents, as well as natives with stronger Midland dialect traits (like myself) and ancestors that fought for the Union. We are in the middle of the spectrum, as one would expect from a border state.

Andrew S, there is that there is a reason we are on page 74 of this discussion. Nobody can even seem to agree to disagree.
I agree 100%. The western counties are defined as appalachia and hell youll find some southern appalachian accents up in PA sometimes. All Im saying is its a southern state with a good amount of yankees living here temporarily. Heck most are first generation to come down here. Hell my wife is the first generation to be born in the south and her parents come from Nebraska and Connecticut.

Im not trying to define the whole states culture, just trying to pound the idea that it IS A SOUTHERN STATE (Kodeblue) with a whole lot of southern culture that is native to the state. But like all border states we have an identity crisis in certain parts cough central maryland cough cough. As I have stated in many of my posts in this thread I dont disagree that some areas have some yankee culture, but for the most part the high population zones are mixed between south and north.

But because we have a yankee occupation in the area where 99% of people only go and because everyone and their brother likes to determine southern status by the deep south we get pigeon holed into being a northern state when we are not. If that was the measure of a souther state well the south would consist of 5 states.

I just want people to look past the revolving door of residents that is the 95 corridor and see the real state of maryland. Thats all. But people continue to prefer ignorance to everything but a small segment of our great state. Being a 6th generation and much much farther back on my moms side Marylander Ill continue to point out that there is ALOT more to this great state then Howard, Montgomery, Prince Georges, Baltimore and Anne Arundel counties.

Maryland my Maryland!

Last edited by andrew_s; 04-17-2012 at 08:10 AM..

Old 04-17-2012, 02:57 PM

388 posts, read 661,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew_s View Post
I agree 100%. The western counties are defined as appalachia and hell youll find some southern appalachian accents up in PA sometimes. All Im saying is its a southern state with a good amount of yankees living here temporarily. Heck most are first generation to come down here. Hell my wife is the first generation to be born in the south and her parents come from Nebraska and Connecticut.

Im not trying to define the whole states culture, just trying to pound the idea that it IS A SOUTHERN STATE (Kodeblue) with a whole lot of southern culture that is native to the state. But like all border states we have an identity crisis in certain parts cough central maryland cough cough. As I have stated in many of my posts in this thread I dont disagree that some areas have some yankee culture, but for the most part the high population zones are mixed between south and north.

But because we have a yankee occupation in the area where 99% of people only go and because everyone and their brother likes to determine southern status by the deep south we get pigeon holed into being a northern state when we are not. If that was the measure of a southern state well the south would consist of 5 states.

I just want people to look past the revolving door of residents that is the 95 corridor and see the real state of maryland. Thats all. But people continue to prefer ignorance to everything but a small segment of our great state. Being a 6th generation and much much farther back on my moms side Marylander Ill continue to point out that there is ALOT more to this great state then Howard, Montgomery, Prince Georges, Baltimore and Anne Arundel counties.

Maryland my Maryland!
I don't always agree with everything you say, but everything about this post is just so right lol. I think you're doing your best to convey the culture you see as a generational Marylander living among other generational Marylanders that those in the more transient regions of the state never had the chance to see. Don't come down too hard on them though. If modern-day Montgomery County was all you had ever known, you'd have a very different view of Maryland as well.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs72 View Post
I don't always agree with everything you say, but everything about this post is just so right lol. I think you're doing your best to convey the culture you see as a generational Marylander living among other generational Marylanders that those in the more transient regions of the state never had the chance to see. Don't come down too hard on them though. If modern-day Montgomery County was all you had ever known, you'd have a very different view of Maryland as well.
Thats a good point. I just get a bit upset when people say a culture I was raised in doesnt exist in Maryland. How can it not exist if I was raised in it? Thats all my upset-ness comes from.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:36 PM

582 posts, read 742,572 times
There's quite a lot of cultures in MD.

Someone made this to represent what, in their view,are the dominant cultures in each area.
Aqua is western MD
Yellow is sort of a conservative, populated, anti-brown zone.
Brown is the super-liberal wealthy area.
Light blue is the land of Hon, Balmer, and Natty Boh.
Green is PG county. I disagree a bit with the author's borders though.
Purple is the fair land of Southern Maryland.
Grey is the Newark suburbia.
Blue is Eastern Shore.
It should be noted that the author of the map is heavily pro-brown and wants it to engulf the state, in case that might effect his representation/judgement or something.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:03 PM

710 posts, read 815,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew_s View Post
No yall dont do that. I bet there are many places in the south I could drop yall off at and for miles all yall think you were in the north.
you have me convinced, you are a true untamed rebel son of dixie

Old 04-17-2012, 07:27 PM

Thanks (even though I know youre being a smart *insert bad word*).

Old 04-17-2012, 07:29 PM

4,566 posts, read 7,647,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post

Someone made this to represent what, in their view,are the dominant cultures in each area.
Aqua is western MD
Blue is Eastern Shore.
It should be noted that the author of the map is heavily pro-brown and wants it to engulf the state, in case that might effect his representation/judgement or something.
Jeez. Bad enough that people think Washington County is Western Maryland. This guy puts Carroll County in the mix.

There is such a thing as "Mid-Maryland," or the Catoctin Region, which is the fertile dairy farming/exurban lands of Washington, Frederick, Carroll, western Howard and upper Baltimore and Harford Counties. These people have much more in common in terms of dialect, lifestyle, geography, commuting patterns, and income levels with each other, than they do with Allegany and Garrett County.

We are a region apart, if anyone ever took the care to notice.

Ok, rant off.

Last edited by westsideboy; 04-17-2012 at 08:17 PM..

Old 04-17-2012, 07:36 PM

4,566 posts, read 7,647,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post

Aqua is western MD
Blue is Eastern Shore.
Can you provide a link to the website the map is from?

Old 04-17-2012, 09:14 PM

582 posts, read 742,572 times
Quote:
Jeez. Bad enough that people think Washington County is Western Maryland. This guy puts Carroll County in the mix.

There is such a thing as "Mid-Maryland," or the Catoctin Region, which is the fertile dairy farming/exurban lands of Washington, Frederick, Carroll, western Howard and upper Baltimore and Harford Counties. These people have much more in common in terms of dialect, lifestyle, geography, commuting patterns, and income levels with each other, than they do with Allegany and Garrett County.

We are a region apart, if anyone ever took the care to notice.

Ok, rant off.
Although I dont know that area very well, from what i've seen I would tend to agree. As I said this map isn't perfect. For example a lot of what he called the green area is indistinguishable from Calvert or Charles, and I would probably divide the Eastern Shore up a bit more.

Quote:
Can you provide a link to the website the map is from?
The image is from some gerrymandering/redistricting website.
Link
The regions seemed to be largely defined by their political leanings, particularly their support of the democratic party / Obama, and their race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or