U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-12-2012, 05:16 PM
 
Location: PG County, MD
582 posts, read 740,956 times
Reputation: 347

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
We have 5 Sheetzes here.
Yes, they're in Virginia, West Virginia, Ohio, and Maryland too. But they're so incredibly common up in Central PA --especially around Altoona-- they've become a regional symbol.

That's the thing about Waffle House. Yes, it's all over now but it's considered a symbol of the south. Ledo Pizza can be found down in Georgia. But to people in Maryland Ledo is a "Maryland thing". Old Bay is a huge symbol of Maryland but can be found in L.A.

Just because something exists outside of it's home region does not mean in ceases to be representative or symbolic of that region.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-12-2012, 05:17 PM
 
Location: Central Maryland
72 posts, read 123,375 times
Reputation: 83
I wish it were a little more so.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2012, 05:33 PM
 
Location: PG County, MD
582 posts, read 740,956 times
Reputation: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
The last Waffle House I've been to was in Lancaster, PA.
The last confederate flag I saw was in Lancaster, PA.

Just because it exists there doesn't mean it's not a symbol of the south to many people.

Seriously though, the Waffle Houses don't matter. Forget about them.
Waffle House is considered a southern symbol. From Wikipedia: "the chain remains a regional cultural icon"
It was the first thing I saw crossing the Mason-Dixon line.
Myself and some others thought that was a bit funny.
I am not using it as evidence to proclaim Maryland's southerness.

Last edited by Tezcatlipoca; 05-12-2012 at 05:45 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2012, 05:57 PM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
32,157 posts, read 39,250,114 times
Reputation: 40644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post
The last confederate flag I saw was in Lancaster, PA.

Just because it exists there doesn't mean it's not a symbol of the south to many people.

Seriously though, the Waffle Houses don't matter. Forget about them.
Waffle House is considered a southern symbol. From Wikipedia: "the chain remains a regional cultural icon"
It was the first thing I saw crossing the Mason-Dixon line.
Myself and some others thought that was a bit funny.
I am not using it as evidence to proclaim Maryland's southerness.

About the Stars and Bars http://www.city-data.com/forum/24266016-post112.html
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2012, 05:59 PM
 
5,683 posts, read 7,275,155 times
Reputation: 3198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post
Everyone I know will invariably say that Mid-Atlantic means MD, DE, VA. The Chesapeake and Delmarva is the essential Mid-Atlantic. When I mentioned PA or NJ in the Mid-Atlantic people looked at me like I was absolutely insane.
Much of the reason why is that driving from PA to MD, the difference is incredible. Rural MD, rural VA border, no difference. DC-area MD, DC-area Va border, no difference. Nobody I know in MD considers PA Mid-Atlantic and nobody I know in PA does either.

I don't notice much difference when crossing into PA on 83 or MD-30.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2012, 08:59 PM
 
Location: Germantown, MD
1,359 posts, read 3,190,467 times
Reputation: 569
Yeah, Sheetz, Wawa, Weis, and Susquehanna Bank are regional businesses based in Pennsylvania and are nearly exclusively found in PA and MD (except for Sheetz). Pittsburgh-based PNC Bank (which doesn't have any branches South of the DC region) is also one of the largest banks in MD.

According to the Waffle House website there are 11 in MD and 11 in PA, but VA has 37. There's also plenty of Cracker Barrels all the way up to New Jersey and I'm pretty sure I passed one outside of Boston once, but it's still a Southern chain. In the South it seems like a town isn't a town or a rest stop isn't worth visiting unless there's one or more of the following: Hardees, Shoneys, Cracker Barrel, Bojangles, Sonic, or Waffle House.

It's all about where a chain is concentrated. Honestly I didn't even know Ledo's had expanded outside of the area, but I think it's still a "Maryland thing." Five Guys has been expanding north, south, and west like crazy, but I still consider it a DC thing. Same with Phillip's in MD, and although Roy Rogers is at every rest stop on the NJ Turnpike I also consider it a Maryland thing.

Maryland does have a few Southern chains with high concentrations in the state. BB&T Bank (which has the ugliest bank branches), Suntrust, and Food Lion are probably the most noteworthy examples. Most regional businesses are Northeastern/"Mid-Atlantic" though.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2012, 09:19 PM
 
Location: BMORE!
7,249 posts, read 5,548,685 times
Reputation: 3256
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
Yeah, Sheetz, Wawa, Weis, and Susquehanna Bank are regional businesses based in Pennsylvania and are nearly exclusively found in PA and MD (except for Sheetz). Pittsburgh-based PNC Bank (which doesn't have any branches South of the DC region) is also one of the largest banks in MD.

According to the Waffle House website there are 11 in MD and 11 in PA, but VA has 37. There's also plenty of Cracker Barrels all the way up to New Jersey and I'm pretty sure I passed one outside of Boston once, but it's still a Southern chain. In the South it seems like a town isn't a town or a rest stop isn't worth visiting unless there's one or more of the following: Hardees, Shoneys, Cracker Barrel, Bojangles, Sonic, or Waffle House.

It's all about where a chain is concentrated. Honestly I didn't even know Ledo's had expanded outside of the area, but I think it's still a "Maryland thing." Five Guys has been expanding north, south, and west like crazy, but I still consider it a DC thing. Same with Phillip's in MD, and although Roy Rogers is at every rest stop on the NJ Turnpike I also consider it a Maryland thing.

Maryland does have a few Southern chains with high concentrations in the state. BB&T Bank (which has the ugliest bank branches), Suntrust, and Food Lion are probably the most noteworthy examples. Most regional businesses are Northeastern/"Mid-Atlantic" though.
I've counted 5 waffle houses in MD. I wish they had some in Baltimore..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2012, 06:33 AM
 
Location: Terramaria
665 posts, read 725,667 times
Reputation: 778
Speaking of southern-based chains, I've seen lots of Chick-Fil-A's in MD. They are also quite common in the Philly area, but rare in the NYC and Boston regions. And SE PA and most of NJ are still clearly "mid-atlantic" in feel, as some southern trees such as Crepe Myrtles, Mimosas, and Magnolias grown in those areas along with the Spruces and Eastern White Pines. Still, it's funny that there are still no Sonic Drive-in's in MD while DE, PA, NJ, NY, CT, and MA all have at least one.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2012, 07:22 AM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
32,157 posts, read 39,250,114 times
Reputation: 40644
There are Sonics in MD. On Rte 2 in Edgewater (south of Annapolis) and Lexington Park/Leonardtown are two that I know of.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2012, 11:16 AM
 
Location: Cumberland
4,564 posts, read 7,630,675 times
Reputation: 2790
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
There are Sonics in MD. On Rte 2 in Edgewater (south of Annapolis) and Lexington Park/Leonardtown are two that I know of.
In SOUTHERN Maryland? Who would have thunk it?

It is just as crazy as a Northern Appalachian chain like Sheetz stores being common in Western Maryland since the mid-1980s (We call them Sheetz's, after the family name). Just off the top of my head I think Allegany County has 5. Since they are based in Altoona, about as close to Cumberland as we are to Hagerstown, we have always thought of them as our regional store, not a large soul-less corporate invader (which I heard Sheetz referred to as being several times when I lived in Frederick.) I guess they are Wawa people. Never saw a Wawa in my life until I went downstate.

It seems Maryland has distinct regions with the presence and concentration of stores indicitive of their cultural area. What a surprise!
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top