U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-14-2012, 03:16 PM
 
Location: PG County, MD
582 posts, read 742,314 times
Reputation: 347

Advertisements

I thought Sheetz was a soulless invasion until I moved to the Altoona area.

I'm trying to think of a defining chain in Southern Maryland, but it honestly seems like the local places are doing the best these days. I always see many people in the non-chains of Prince Frederick while places like Taco Bell, Arby's or Wendy's are near empty. Chick Fil-A is big in Charles but is nonexistent in Calvert.

We all have different views of this diverse little state. When I hear "Maryland" I think of boats, barns, and american pickup trucks, with the height of civilization being centered in North Beach or Solomons. On the other hand, my roomate a while ago from Silver Spring would profess that Maryland is a land of good old atheist communists, townhouses, and little Japanese cars. Rockfish? He's had fish sticks... I called him a transplant and he called me a seafood-loving hick and both of us said we were from the "true Maryland".

Last edited by Tezcatlipoca; 05-14-2012 at 03:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-14-2012, 03:31 PM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
32,176 posts, read 39,355,263 times
Reputation: 40698
The Southern MD Arby's all closed down a few months ago. They had the same franchisee. Info on why is scarce but the rumors (ok, I have some contacts that know) mention a serious cash issue. Home office came in and basically yanked the franchise.

The reality is that Southern MD has some really good home grown restaurants: Stoney's, Jerry's Seafood, Neptune's, Thursday's, Old Bay Tavern (the last three are in North Beach), Rod 'N' Reel and Smokey Joe's in Chesapeake Beach (same owner), Abner's Crab House, the Ruddy Duck in Solomon's, Pirate's Cove and Thursday's in Galesville, Skipper's Pier in Deale.

Outbacks down here are busy as are the IHOPs and Bob Evans's.

If I have one complaint about restaurants here is that they open too late for breakfast for me in goose season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2012, 06:13 PM
 
Location: Central Maryland
72 posts, read 123,528 times
Reputation: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post


We all have different views of this diverse little state. When I hear "Maryland" I think of boats, barns, and american pickup trucks, with the height of civilization being centered in North Beach or Solomons. On the other hand, my roomate a while ago from Silver Spring would profess that Maryland is a land of good old atheist communists, townhouses, and little Japanese cars. Rockfish? He's had fish sticks... I called him a transplant and he called me a seafood-loving hick and both of us said we were from the "true Maryland".
It's definitely apartment and townhouse land: Rentervilia. But, not communists, just plain ol' kneejerk liberals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2012, 07:24 PM
 
Location: Cumberland
4,566 posts, read 7,645,106 times
Reputation: 2790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wanderlust View Post
It's definitely apartment and townhouse land: Rentervilia. But, not communists, just plain ol' kneejerk liberals.
To be liberal requires a respect for personal freedoms and rights, not a strong point of Maryland goverment. I think the term "leftist" is better to describe the government of this state. Intrusive in all layers of society: economic, social, and personal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2012, 10:03 PM
 
Location: Seattle, WA
388 posts, read 661,044 times
Reputation: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
In SOUTHERN Maryland? Who would have thunk it?

It is just as crazy as a Northern Appalachian chain like Sheetz stores being common in Western Maryland since the mid-1980s (We call them Sheetz's, after the family name). Just off the top of my head I think Allegany County has 5. Since they are based in Altoona, about as close to Cumberland as we are to Hagerstown, we have always thought of them as our regional store, not a large soul-less corporate invader (which I heard Sheetz referred to as being several times when I lived in Frederick.) I guess they are Wawa people. Never saw a Wawa in my life until I went downstate.

It seems Maryland has distinct regions with the presence and concentration of stores indicitive of their cultural area. What a surprise!
I was under the impression that Sonic was a Southern thing moving north. I know they have several in the Charlotte, North Carolina area.

Sheetz is the best. That will be one of the things I miss the most if I ever move away from this region. By the way, have they finished that big, new one out at Naves Crossroads yet? I haven't been home in a while.

I suppose I've always seen Sheetz as regional too, but they are expanding like crazy! Right now, they're moving into the Raleigh, NC area and, in Maryland, they're as far east as Harford and St. Mary's Counties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2012, 10:06 PM
 
Location: Seattle, WA
388 posts, read 661,044 times
Reputation: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
Pittsburgh-based PNC Bank (which doesn't have any branches South of the DC region) is also one of the largest banks in MD.
Actually, as a PNC customer, I know that there are at least PNC Banks in both Atlanta and Miami, although they may not have much of a Southern presence otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2012, 10:15 PM
 
Location: Central Maryland
72 posts, read 123,528 times
Reputation: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
To be liberal requires a respect for personal freedoms and rights, not a strong point of Maryland goverment. I think the term "leftist" is better to describe the government of this state. Intrusive in all layers of society: economic, social, and personal.
Well, then, well-off upper-middle class baby boomers who indoctrinated their kids and their grandchildren...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2012, 10:21 PM
 
Location: Central Maryland
72 posts, read 123,528 times
Reputation: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
In SOUTHERN Maryland? Who would have thunk it?

It is just as crazy as a Northern Appalachian chain like Sheetz stores being common in Western Maryland since the mid-1980s (We call them Sheetz's, after the family name). Just off the top of my head I think Allegany County has 5. Since they are based in Altoona, about as close to Cumberland as we are to Hagerstown, we have always thought of them as our regional store, not a large soul-less corporate invader (which I heard Sheetz referred to as being several times when I lived in Frederick.) I guess they are Wawa people. Never saw a Wawa in my life until I went downstate.

It seems Maryland has distinct regions with the presence and concentration of stores indicitive of their cultural area. What a surprise!
I'm originally from the deep South and I haven't seen one Sonic the entire time I've lived here. That's including in S. Maryland.

I think it would be a surprise for me to see one too. {shrug}


Not that it matters, just a trivial issue.

Last edited by Mr. Wanderlust; 05-14-2012 at 10:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2012, 10:24 PM
 
Location: PG County, MD
582 posts, read 742,314 times
Reputation: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wanderlust View Post
I'm originally from the deep South and I haven't seen one Sonic the entire time I've lived here. That's including in S.Maryland.

I think it would be a surprise for me to see one too. {shrug}


Not that it matters, just a trivial issue.
They only appeared in Maryland this past year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2012, 11:51 PM
 
Location: BMORE!
7,259 posts, read 5,571,123 times
Reputation: 3271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
Speaking of southern-based chains, I've seen lots of Chick-Fil-A's in MD. They are also quite common in the Philly area, but rare in the NYC and Boston regions. And SE PA and most of NJ are still clearly "mid-atlantic" in feel, as some southern trees such as Crepe Myrtles, Mimosas, and Magnolias grown in those areas along with the Spruces and Eastern White Pines. Still, it's funny that there are still no Sonic Drive-in's in MD while DE, PA, NJ, NY, CT, and MA all have at least one.
There is one Sonic right outside of Baltimore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top