U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-17-2012, 01:13 AM
 
Location: PG County, MD
582 posts, read 741,145 times
Reputation: 347

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsereed View Post
not talking about accent, confederacy, fried chicken or waffle but strictly looking at a map Maryland looks northeast. Calling it mid-atlantic even is a stretch as it seems too far north. Baltimore is closer to St-Catharines Ontario Canada than it is to Charlotte NC...hmmm
Gotta disagree with you there.

Maryland looks very central to me. The Chesapeake is the major defining geography and places it with Virginia and forms a sort of center on the east coast. Plus Maryland's got more in common with the climate of Charlotte than with St Catharines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-17-2012, 01:20 AM
 
Location: PG County, MD
582 posts, read 741,145 times
Reputation: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
What the big deal about snow?
People cannot drive in it and schools are canceled when the counties think there's a slight chance of snow, and there often turns out not to be any. There's honestly not much snow in most of the state so people aren't used to it.
I know plenty of fellow Marylanders who claim that snow is no problem and that they can handle it fine. But they really don't. Folks from the North and Midwest constantly make fun of natives for completely failing to handle snow and being clueless on how to drive in it.
You haven't noticed how your fellow Marylanders go crazy and wreck their cars all over the place when an inch of snow falls?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2012, 01:31 AM
 
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
1,154 posts, read 3,855,514 times
Reputation: 699
Avg snowfall map,

http://www.climatesource.com/us/fact_sheets/snow_us.gif
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2012, 03:46 AM
 
Location: BMORE!
7,249 posts, read 5,551,955 times
Reputation: 3256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post
People cannot drive in it and schools are canceled when the counties think there's a slight chance of snow, and there often turns out not to be any. There's honestly not much snow in most of the state so people aren't used to it.
I know plenty of fellow Marylanders who claim that snow is no problem and that they can handle it fine. But they really don't. Folks from the North and Midwest constantly make fun of natives for completely failing to handle snow and being clueless on how to drive in it.
You haven't noticed how your fellow Marylanders go crazy and wreck their cars all over the place when an inch of snow falls?
Schools didn't close when I was there. Also, Baltimore averages the same amount of snow as Philly (slightly more if you want to be technical). So it's not like Philly, NJ, NYC alot more snow than us. We typically get the same storms. I've seen plenty of accidents up and down the eastcoast whenever there is snow.

Boston
<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TLcCLvylBpc...</param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TLcCLvylBpc...n_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Michigan
<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OAPidfwF5do...</param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OAPidfwF5do...n_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

NYC
<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rUmASCSL510...</param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rUmASCSL510...n_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Notice that there's not alot of snow on the ground.

Last edited by KodeBlue; 05-17-2012 at 04:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2012, 04:25 AM
 
Location: Greenville, NC
2,051 posts, read 4,849,666 times
Reputation: 1088
If you think the drivers in MD are bad about snow, you should see Eastern North Carolina. A lot of people here park their cars when it snows and don't move them again until the snow melts off of them. And no, I'm not kidding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2012, 01:54 PM
 
Location: Germantown, MD
1,359 posts, read 3,190,946 times
Reputation: 569
I'd say Marylanders can't handle rain, before I would say they can't handle snow. While MD drivers aren't totally nuts like they are in NY/NJ we drive significantly faster than most other states on the East Coast...except when it rains. I believe safety is important but when highway traffic goes from 20 over to 20 under after a few rain drops I would say that's overcautious.

As for snow, I would say it's regional (in state). The DC region has a reputation for shutting fown after/during a moderate snowfall. I would say it's only half true and apllies far more to the suburbs than to the city. A lot of it has to do with the hand-holding cultire here. Baltimore (and of course Western MD) is a totally different story.

At UMD the prospect of cancelling classes was almost laughable. The only time AU in DC cancelled classes in its history was for the insane snowstorm in early 2010.

There are many other factors affecting regular snowfall besides longitude (N/S), particularly proximity to the ocean and elevation. That's why there's a sizeable gap between Western MD and the Eastern Shore in terms of snowfall. Maryland is actually around the same latitude as Colorado, but receives much less snow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2012, 10:07 PM
 
Location: Edgemere, Maryland
501 posts, read 956,256 times
Reputation: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
Still, it's funny that there are still no Sonic Drive-in's in MD while DE, PA, NJ, NY, CT, and MA all have at least one.

This is absolutely false. There is one in Easton AND one literally ONE MINUTE down the street from my house in Essex at the intersection of Pulaski Highway and Rossville Boulevard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
Chick-Fil-A... I remember my first encounter with them in Orlando in 2001 (a while before they had them in MD)
Again, this is NOT true. I have been eating at the Chick-Fil-A's in White Marsh and East Point Malls in Baltimore County since at least the late 1980s. Chick-Fil-A has always been a "thing" in MD for at least 3 decades. People should not assume that these places haven't been in MD simply because their little part of the state didn't/ doesn't have something.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsereed View Post
not talking about accent, confederacy, fried chicken or waffle but strictly looking at a map Maryland looks northeast. Calling it mid-atlantic even is a stretch as it seems too far north. Baltimore is closer to St-Catharines Ontario Canada than it is to Charlotte NC...hmmm
And so is Richmond, VA from Nashville, TN.... your point?




Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post

As for snow, I would say it's regional (in state). The DC region has a reputation for shutting fown after/during a moderate snowfall... Baltimore is a totally different story.
No, it's not. The same thing happens here. At least in Dundalk and Essex where we get much less snow than Towson and other higher-elevated suburbs.

Last edited by MDguy99; 05-17-2012 at 10:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2012, 11:23 PM
 
Location: PG County, MD
582 posts, read 741,145 times
Reputation: 347
In Calvert County Chick Fil-A is a really big deal - though not particularly new.
Sonics are definitely in Maryland, though how recently in the northern parts I can't say.
What about shutting down for no snow at all? It's quite common in the southern three counties.
I remember just on my street in Huntingtown, a plow (which was just a pickup truck like usual) got stuck in the snow, so my neighbor tried to pull him out and got stuck, and then a huge truck came to help, and you guessed it; got stuck. They had to wait until the snow melted and bring in all sorts of stuff, and my poor neighbors beloved lawn was obliterated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2012, 11:25 PM
 
Location: Cumberland
4,564 posts, read 7,632,343 times
Reputation: 2790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post
In Calvert County Chick Fil-A is a really big deal - though not particularly new.
Sonics are definitely in Maryland, though how recently in the northern parts I can't say.
What about shutting down for no snow at all? It's quite common in the southern three counties.
I remember just on my street in Huntingtown, a plow (which was just a pickup truck like usual) got stuck in the snow, so my neighbor tried to pull him out and got stuck, and then a huge truck came to help, and you guessed it; got stuck. They had to wait until the snow melted and bring in all sorts of stuff, and my poor neighbors beloved lawn was obliterated.
Diddo, and has been since at least the mid-80s. As for snow, we can handle it up here. As that wonderful map shows, we have little choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2012, 05:16 AM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
32,169 posts, read 39,263,926 times
Reputation: 40670
Going back a couple posts, people in Calvert County might love their Chick-Fil-A but they have to leave the County to get it. There are no Chick-Fil-As in Calvert.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top