U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 02-18-2011, 06:00 AM
 
3,541 posts, read 3,477,609 times
Reputation: 1540

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Going on the 'Maryland is a southern state' theme.

Would you say that Maryland is more like PENNSYLVANIA or more like VIRGINIA?

I kind of feel it has more in common with Pennsylvania and their cities, than Virginia and their cities. But, I don't live in Maryland, so curious how all of you who do live there, would think of it in those terms.
I don't think you can really answer that question. Pennsylania and Virginia are similar to Maryland in that the different parts of the same state are quite different from each other. As the saying goes in PA, "it's Philadelphia, Pittsburgh and Kentucky in between." In VA a lot of the population is focused in Northern Virginia, which geographically is only a small part of the state but has a more northern influence, yet most everything south of there can probably be considered "southern"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-18-2011, 07:24 AM
 
878 posts, read 1,044,672 times
Reputation: 1097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Going on the 'Maryland is a southern state' theme.

Would you say that Maryland is more like PENNSYLVANIA or more like VIRGINIA?

I kind of feel it has more in common with Pennsylvania and their cities, than Virginia and their cities. But, I don't live in Maryland, so curious how all of you who do live there, would think of it in those terms.
I would say that Maryland cities have more in common with Virginia cities that Pennsylvania cities. Baltimore has always reminded me of what would happen if Norfolk and Richmond were smashed together into one city. Annapolis has a "maritime" look all of its own but definitely not like anything you would see in PA. It's more like a less urbane Portsmouth or Hampton with a Colonial Williamsburg-type "capitol" setting. Salisbury also has a very Tidewater Virginia look and not reminiscent of Pennsylvania at all.

Most other central Maryland cities are hard to read because they are so overwhelmingly engulfed by Washington DC suburban sprawl. I can still see how Rockville may have looked more southern-like a suburb of Richmond rather than a suburb of Philly. If you take away the outer edge DC Sprawl, Frederick looks very reminiscent of Charlottesville. Hagerstown has a lot of similar elements to Winchester and Charlottesville with some "Pennsylvanian" landscape influences but the people are more like Pennsylvanians than Virginians. At that point in Maryland the PA/VA dichotomy is about equal. Brunswick in Frederick County just looks unequivocally like a Pennsylvania town despite being right across the river from Virginia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2011, 04:27 AM
 
Location: Greenville, NC
1,750 posts, read 2,768,818 times
Reputation: 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers10 View Post
Salisbury also has a very Tidewater Virginia look and not reminiscent of Pennsylvania at all.
Maryland's Eastern Shore is just like everywhere else out on the Coastal Plain. You can drive from Delaware and MD down to South Carolina and beyond and never be able to tell that you've gone from one state to the next if not for the signs that tell you so. Chicken house - check. Corn field - check. Highway beside railroad track - check. Single wides - check. Town that time left behind - check.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2011, 11:33 AM
 
Location: Cumberland
3,155 posts, read 4,446,388 times
Reputation: 1347
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
I don't think you can really answer that question. Pennsylania and Virginia are similar to Maryland in that the different parts of the same state are quite different from each other. As the saying goes in PA, "it's Philadelphia, Pittsburgh and Kentucky in between." In VA a lot of the population is focused in Northern Virginia, which geographically is only a small part of the state but has a more northern influence, yet most everything south of there can probably be considered "southern"
I always heard the quote as "Pennsylvania is Philadephia on one side, Pittsburgh on the other, and Alabama in the middle." I think it is attributed to James Carville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2011, 04:29 AM
 
Location: Baltimore
1,771 posts, read 1,956,452 times
Reputation: 496
to me, Baltimore is more like Philly than any city in VA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2011, 05:02 PM
 
Location: Germantown, MD
1,359 posts, read 2,275,420 times
Reputation: 557
This is a really tired argument that has taken up probably half the posts on the Maryland board. Maryland (along with DC and DE) is Northeastern. West Virginia is...West Virginia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers10 View Post
Just because Maryland is not identical to Georgia doesn't mean it is not Southern. Maryland, Virginia, Florida, and Texas could all be considered Southern. But because they are on the periphery of the South they are naturally going to possess characteristics of adjacent regions.
You could also say that just because Maryland isn't identical to Mass. doesn't mean it's not Northeastern. Very few states epitomize an entire region, and Maryland (often called "America in miniature) certainly doesn't.

I agree that states on the periphery of "their region" will share characteristics of adjacent regions and there are many "Southern" qualities to be found in the Lower Eastern Shore and, to a lesser extent, Southern Maryland regions. At the same time Northeastern qualities more or less dominate the state. On paper practically every objective statistic with regional correlation (demographics, education, density, political leanings, median income, transportation, types of dwellings, etc.) indicates Maryland as being Northeastern.

Western Pennsylvania is more Midwestern than it is Northeastern, yet PA is still considered part of the Northeast. There are also very many differences between say Vermont and New Jersey which are both located in the NE. A few Southern quirks here and there, a long outdated border line drawn before the American Revolution, and the opinion that Maryland "shouldn't" have fought for the Union doesn't change the fact that Maryland is by and large Northeastern (if it must be classified as part of the NE or South). Of course Maryland isn't as quintessentially Northeastern as say New York, just as Virginia isn't as quintessentially Southern as South Carolina but there are many similarities which are in turn shared by other states in the same region.

Really more than anything Maryland is Mid-Atlantic, but the definition of this region is so ambiguous most try to squeeze it into the North or South.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers10 View Post
A lot of Upland Southerners migrated to the city to help form "Pittsburghese".
Same thing happened to Baltimore (which btw is in no way, shape, or form "Southern"), which is why the accent is almost identical to Philadelphia's except for a slight Southern hint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2011, 06:18 PM
 
878 posts, read 1,044,672 times
Reputation: 1097
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
Same thing happened to Baltimore (which btw is in no way, shape, or form "Southern"), which is why the accent is almost identical to Philadelphia's except for a slight Southern hint.
So in essence, Baltimore is Southern?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2011, 07:38 PM
 
Location: New Haven, CT
199 posts, read 178,839 times
Reputation: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
This is a really tired argument that has taken up probably half the posts on the Maryland board. Maryland (along with DC and DE) is Northeastern. West Virginia is...West Virginia.



You could also say that just because Maryland isn't identical to Mass. doesn't mean it's not Northeastern. Very few states epitomize an entire region, and Maryland (often called "America in miniature) certainly doesn't.

I agree that states on the periphery of "their region" will share characteristics of adjacent regions and there are many "Southern" qualities to be found in the Lower Eastern Shore and, to a lesser extent, Southern Maryland regions. At the same time Northeastern qualities more or less dominate the state. On paper practically every objective statistic with regional correlation (demographics, education, density, political leanings, median income, transportation, types of dwellings, etc.) indicates Maryland as being Northeastern.

Western Pennsylvania is more Midwestern than it is Northeastern, yet PA is still considered part of the Northeast. There are also very many differences between say Vermont and New Jersey which are both located in the NE. A few Southern quirks here and there, a long outdated border line drawn before the American Revolution, and the opinion that Maryland "shouldn't" have fought for the Union doesn't change the fact that Maryland is by and large Northeastern (if it must be classified as part of the NE or South). Of course Maryland isn't as quintessentially Northeastern as say New York, just as Virginia isn't as quintessentially Southern as South Carolina but there are many similarities which are in turn shared by other states in the same region.

Really more than anything Maryland is Mid-Atlantic, but the definition of this region is so ambiguous most try to squeeze it into the North or South.



Same thing happened to Baltimore (which btw is in no way, shape, or form "Southern"), which is why the accent is almost identical to Philadelphia's except for a slight Southern hint.
No. West Virginia is most definetly a southern state and one of the most southern and conservative if you ask me. I've been there. The same things that you said about Maryland being northern can be said about North Carolina(the triangle area) and education doesn't make nor determine rather a state is northern lol. Maryland is a southern state, with southern history, and placed in the southeast of the united states. Baltimore doesn't feel anything like Newark, Boston, Harford, Manhattan, or Philadelphia those cities are very fast paced with northern culture and history placed in northern states. Southern states like North Carolina, Virginia, and Florida had changed dramatically over the last decade, but it doesn't mean that they are taken out from the south.

Last edited by hitek; 02-21-2011 at 08:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2011, 07:41 PM
 
Location: Cumberland
3,155 posts, read 4,446,388 times
Reputation: 1347
They say that West Virginia is the most Northern of the Southern States, the most Southern of the Northern States, the most Eastern of the Mid-Western States, and the most Mid-Western of the Eastern States. Why do people say this? Because, like Maryland, WV is a border state.

With Maryland, we could just agree that it is a typical border state, exhibiting traits and regions of both Northern and Southern culture and move on, but that never seems to happen.

BTW, welcome back Cpterp, I was wondering where you were when this thread started. This argument is your thing, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2011, 10:47 PM
 
6 posts, read 7,576 times
Reputation: 20
This topic comes up way too often. When I'm in MD the last thing that comes to my mind is those good GA vibes that Im used to. Maryland doesnt hint being southern in anyway sort of way. Like I said in another post being under the Mason Dixon line and having a large slave population are the only thing that link MD to the south. Culture wise is more similar to Pennsylvania and states in that area. You can get to New York and back before you get to Atlanta. MD is the mid atlantic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:14 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top