U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2012, 01:46 AM

3,188 posts, read 5,202,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aav amphibs View Post

4. Subway metro in Washington DC, Baltimore has more of a northern quality unlike southern cities. Can you think of a southern subway system?

Atlanta and Miami (not southern, but as a whole Florida is in the south), I can't think of a southern city with a commuter rail though.
Atlanta and Miami have subway systems (Florida is in the south, but Miami is in it's own region), I can't think of a southern city with a commuter rail though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 12:05 AM

582 posts, read 742,314 times
Quote:
Arguments for Maryland as a Southern state
Arguments for Maryland being a Northern State

1. Maryland remained UNION during the Civil War. Despite opposition. Most Marylanders sided with the Union. Maryland remained under Union hands during the whole of the Civil War. Washington DC memorials are all for famous Union generals and memorials. There is no star in the CSA flag for Maryland. This is probably their best argument.
There were many CSA flags that included Maryland, though officially it wasn't included. Plus the confederacy gave Kentucky a star on the official flag even though Kentucky was a union state and more loyal than Maryland.

Maryland didn't exactly side with the union either, it was arguably forced in and was hardly a loyal state. However it is true that most fought in northern armies, but it may have been motivated more by defense of Maryland than by desire to fight the CSA - though Maryland probably became increasingly loyal as the war progressed. From what I can tell, Maryland wasn't actually to happy with the USA or the CSA during that time.

The point being, I don't think you can accurately make the claim that Maryland was a true union state or a true confederate state.

Quote:
Arguments for Maryland as a Southern state

2. Potomac river. This river is viewed by many as the true dividing NORTH/SOUTH line. As mentioned, the Mason Dixon line was made in the 1700's with nothing to do with North/South dividing line.
The lack of any cultural difference whatsoever across the Potomac really makes it a poor dividing line, though the same can be said about the Mason-Dixon. (I notice a difference across the M-D but apparently no one else here does). The culture apparently seems to divide the most around the South River.

Old 07-03-2012, 01:40 PM

386 posts, read 532,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post
There were many CSA flags that included Maryland, though officially it wasn't included. Plus the confederacy gave Kentucky a star on the official flag even though Kentucky was a union state and more loyal than Maryland.

Maryland didn't exactly side with the union either, it was arguably forced in and was hardly a loyal state. However it is true that most fought in northern armies, but it may have been motivated more by defense of Maryland than by desire to fight the CSA - though Maryland probably became increasingly loyal as the war progressed. From what I can tell, Maryland wasn't actually to happy with the USA or the CSA during that time.

The point being, I don't think you can accurately make the claim that Maryland was a true union state or a true confederate state.

The lack of any cultural difference whatsoever across the Potomac really makes it a poor dividing line, though the same can be said about the Mason-Dixon. (I notice a difference across the M-D but apparently no one else here does). The culture apparently seems to divide the most around the South River.
I am one of those who notices a difference going north of the line. There is a definite difference in feel up there, but in the defense of PA it has a different feel then other NE states (minus philly). My cousin moved to Philly and he has stated quite a few times its a huge culture shock.

As for during the civil war you are correct. Maryland, like VA and NC were not too sure about leaving but when MD was going to vote Lincoln moved fast and occupied forcing us to be "loyal". If you lived in a state under marital law and no habius corpus most would either try and leave the state or shut up and wave the occupiers flag. The rest would be thrown in jail without trial. Pretty grim outlook in MD and why those who couldnt or didnt leave chose "home guard" status rather then anything else.

As for states like Kentucky or Missouri both remained in the union and niether had a real representation in the CSA and Knetucky was the most union of the border states with WV being close behind. Other states like NC and TN also sent as many to fight for the north as they did for the south.

Old 10-23-2012, 11:48 PM

1 posts, read 925 times
Default maryland is southern

During the Civil War, President Lincoln ordered martial law in Md. He had most of the Md goverment imprisoned along with most of Baltimores Goverment, Including the Mayor, Chief of police and the Fire chief. He didnt want Washington D.C. ( Washington City back than) to be in the middle of a foriegn country and due to the history of the capitol city didnt want to move it to Philidelphia or New York which was in stages of planning just in case Maryland did Seccede or fall. Unlike every other major city Lincoln went threw on his way to D.C. For his first innauguation he couldnt stop in Baltimore because he had so many death threats if the train stopped. On that subject i live in Md and no more than 5 miles at the most from Tudor Hall where John Wilkes Booth was born.

Last edited by jakesling; 10-24-2012 at 12:35 AM..

Old 11-20-2012, 11:30 AM

1,476 posts, read 1,449,507 times
Maryland is considered "southern"?? What the WHAT?? Sorry, I'm going to say you're up north lol, I'm from Texas and you cannot be a part of the SOUTH!!

Old 11-20-2012, 07:53 PM

4,566 posts, read 7,645,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seekingcreativity View Post
Maryland is considered "southern"?? What the WHAT?? Sorry, I'm going to say you're up north lol, I'm from Texas and you cannot be a part of the SOUTH!!
And you guys are part of the South-West like NM and AZ, right?

Old 11-20-2012, 08:00 PM

32,177 posts, read 39,355,263 times
Quote:

Old 11-20-2012, 08:02 PM

1,476 posts, read 1,449,507 times
LOL!! Sorry had to bring it up! We are southwest but we are THE SOUTH

Old 11-20-2012, 11:37 PM

575 posts, read 421,072 times
Just stop.

Old 11-21-2012, 04:49 AM

2,052 posts, read 4,856,278 times
Quote:
Texas isn't in the South. Texas is part of Mexico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or