U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2012, 08:26 PM

8,187 posts, read 21,748,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Texas isn't in the South. Texas is part of Mexico.
Saying Texas is not Southern is like saying Maryland is not Southern. People from outside of both States will say that both States are not Southern, yet, both States are full of people who say they are. My ex girlfriend, her family, friends, and what I gather, the entire city of Dallas will claim tooth and nail that Texas is a Southern state hands down.

And I wouldn't tell a Texan Texas is a part of Mexico. At least not while you are in Texas, anyways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 12:56 PM

386 posts, read 530,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningNorm View Post
Richard, I will certainly agree that I am in the wrong part of the state...but, yes, I hear youse guys regularly here and the culture feels decidedly northern...and, not in a good way.

As to the other gent's question about where is that culture? I think my experience of living on college campuses for the past 10 years and counting may have influenced my perspective somewhat.

But, if you go to an ECU football game, for example, you will see many of the college women and younger female grads in purple sundresses. The young gents in slacks or khaki/plaid shorts, Izod shirts, golf visors, and boat shoes. You will see the same attire at Clemson, South Carolina, etc.

If you go to events such as Carolina Cup, you will see in abundance the culture I describe.

IE: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-SET-MSbe6V...0/IMG_3700.JPG

The south is alive and well; and I am moving back in two weeks. Hallelujah!
Yeah wrong part of the state. Compare Cary to anywhere else in NC and youll get the same difference youre getting here. As for the attire well thats the eternal debate of southern appalachian vs lowland southerners. The appalachian effect reaches FAR into MD even in our lowland areas. It also reaches into the dialects here where we have mostly rhotic speach patterns and very few non-rhotic speakers (mostly on the coastal areas).

As for clemson I know a guy on another forum who saw a picture of me and said he never sees this type of person (beard, camo, flannel, etc) despite the school being in appalachia. UMD played ECU in a bowl game not long ago and I spoke with and drank with many ECU fans and not only do they all seem to talk the same, act the same and dress identically to current UMD students.

As far as the "yous guys" no native Marylander says that. Nor have I ever heard somebody say that that wasnt from north NJ or NY. We say "yall", "you all" and sometimes "you guys"(CANT stand this. girls/women are not "guys") and an honorary mention to the few yinzers in here "youins"(which I must admit I have never heard spoken ever).

Last edited by andrew_s; 12-11-2012 at 01:06 PM..

Old 12-11-2012, 02:27 PM

2,051 posts, read 4,845,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
And I wouldn't tell a Texan Texas is a part of Mexico. At least not while you are in Texas, anyways.
I was just making a point to the guy from Texas. Those on the outside always have a different view than those on the inside. I like living in a place where English is virtually the only language ever heard. Good luck with that in Texas.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:29 PM

4,562 posts, read 7,623,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew_s View Post
Yeah wrong part of the state. Compare Cary to anywhere else in NC and youll get the same difference youre getting here. As for the attire well thats the eternal debate of southern appalachian vs lowland southerners. The appalachian effect reaches FAR into MD even in our lowland areas. It also reaches into the dialects here where we have mostly rhotic speach patterns and very few non-rhotic speakers (mostly on the coastal areas).

As for clemson I know a guy on another forum who saw a picture of me and said he never sees this type of person (beard, camo, flannel, etc) despite the school being in appalachia. UMD played ECU in a bowl game not long ago and I spoke with and drank with many ECU fans and not only do they all seem to talk the same, act the same and dress identically to current UMD students.

As far as the "yous guys" no native Marylander says that. Nor have I ever heard somebody say that that wasnt from north NJ or NY. We say "yall", "you all" and sometimes "you guys"(CANT stand this. girls/women are not "guys") and an honorary mention to the few yinzers in here "youins"(which I must admit I have never heard spoken ever).
Sadly, you do hear "youse" a lot among Cumberlanders. I don't recall ever hearing "youse guys" though. My theory is that my region's use of "youse" as in "What do youse want to drink?" is a corrupt form of you'ins that was common in Appalachia until recently rather than a transplanted Jersey saying, but I have no evidence to back it up other than not hearing the "guys" part said after it.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Sadly, you do hear "youse" a lot among Cumberlanders. I don't recall ever hearing "youse guys" though. My theory is that my region's use of "youse" as in "What do youse want to drink?" is a corrupt form of you'ins that was common in Appalachia until recently rather than a transplanted Jersey saying, but I have no evidence to back it up other than not hearing the "guys" part said after it.
Ahh yeah I only hear it from my wifes relatives from CT. I do hear you guys here and there and it bothers me as girls are =/= guys.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:58 PM

6,473 posts, read 10,731,782 times
Quote:
I always thought (based on nothing) that yous is so prevalent in the NE is because in Italian and others there is a 2nd person plural tense - a way to address a group of people. I heard it so much growing up that I say it naturally, just as a southerner has a hard time cutting off the "y'alls."

Old 12-11-2012, 03:03 PM

582 posts, read 740,267 times
There's all of that in MD.

'Yous' in Baltimore
'Yinz' in the west.
'Y'all' along the western and eastern shore.
'You guys' or 'you all' or just 'you' among the DC area folks.

Old 12-11-2012, 04:49 PM

4,562 posts, read 7,623,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
I always thought (based on nothing) that yous is so prevalent in the NE is because in Italian and others there is a 2nd person plural tense - a way to address a group of people. I heard it so much growing up that I say it naturally, just as a southerner has a hard time cutting off the "y'alls."
Hmm.....Cumberland does have a good many Italian immigrants, so that is a possible theory as well. Also, if it is common in Baltimore, it is possible the railroad brought it to Cumberland. Of course, we have a good many "y'allers" as well.

I don't hear "Yinz" in Allegany County. Maybe in Garrett County, although nobody I know from there uses it either (maybe a generation thing.) Personally I use either "you guys" or just "you all." For some reason the stronger dialectal forms of the 2nd person plural aren't used in my family.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:43 AM

388 posts, read 659,569 times
Quote:
I don't hear "Yinz" in Allegany County. Maybe in Garrett County, although nobody I know from there uses it either (maybe a generation thing.) Personally I use either "you guys" or just "you all." For some reason the stronger dialectal forms of the 2nd person plural aren't used in my family.
I was just about to say this. No yinzers in Maryland. The "youse" thing is very interesting as it is definitely common throughout Allegany County, but virtually nonexistent in surrounding regions. Now I do hear "yinz" among the older local folks out here in Morgantown but, then again, we're only 75 miles from Pittsburgh here and there is no huge mountain range between here and there.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:20 AM

Where are yall hearing "youse"? I have been around baltimore alot and never once heard it spoken from someone that didnt have a NYC accent. Even the people from NY my wife works with have a THICK NYC accent and they dont say it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or