Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 01:14 PM

3 posts, read 16,646 times

Advertisements

I'm with 14th Tennessee living historians & reenactments, consisting amoung us are 3rd Virginia, 2nd Maryland, 1st Tennessee and 13th Arkansas. We are the CMF. (confederate military forces) Its a very interesting subject however some parts of the state have stayed the same while some haven't. Baltimore; during the war between the states were mostly pro-south with 90% of the eastern shore pro-south. The western parts were affiliated with Pa. and W.Va were strongly northern influenced. Alot of the same feelings still exised today. Plus there are plety of confederate monuments on the shore with grave stones that have been replace or cleaned from the SCV. With the Irish immagrants on the east and german in the west. Unfortunatley baltimore has become a cespool of crime and yankee democrates....Maryland is still south of the mason-dixon line last time I checked. Peoples accents are very different from someone in Cumberland,md to Princess Anne, md. In Princess Anne they say Y'all and serve grits,,etc and in Cumberland it more northern.. It's such a unique state as soon as you cross the chesapeake bay bridge it's like entering another state. folks are alittle slower with their words, actions....

Last edited by DAILEYR; 01-20-2011 at 01:23 PM.. Reason: not done
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 01:30 PM

6,999 posts, read 11,293,992 times
I wouldn't say Cumberland is "northern," although the area was mostly pro-Union during the war. We are Appalachian in culture first and foremost. That cultural designation transends, or at least, overlaps both North and South.

Old 01-20-2011, 02:12 PM

335 posts, read 699,231 times

Old 01-20-2011, 06:39 PM

257 posts, read 609,919 times
What was your question....btw.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:43 PM

165 posts, read 530,226 times
This is a subject that comes up continually, and there are hundreds of discussion threads on this same subject on the Maryland forum.

Old 01-21-2011, 05:13 AM

423 posts, read 645,751 times
For fuks sake!
Who cares???

The Civil war over 150 years ago. Why is America still on this North vs South shxt anyways.
Yes Maryland is a southern state, a border state as well and Baltimore along with D.C. area suburbs are liberal parts of the state so therefore it functions like the north. Taxes here are also northern. Baltimore reminds me of Philly, it doesn't feel southern.....

Old 01-21-2011, 11:21 PM

353 posts, read 458,147 times
As a Maryland native living in "the south" I can tell you that very few southerners consider MD a southern state. While geographically we could probably be considered a southern state, and possibly even from a historical standpoint we could, but I doubt MD will be accepted as a true southern state in this day and age.

Judging from personal experience, I feel like we lie in between. We are neither northern nor southern. I honestly wouldn't worry about it.

Old 01-22-2011, 02:54 AM

304 posts, read 713,497 times
Maryland is usually lumped with the states that comprise the "Northeast" states. If you take a look at this Wikipedia article, Maryland is considered part of the region referred to as "The Northeast Megalopolis" Northeast megalopolis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. It's not an official statistical region as defined by the Census Bureau, but Maryland is rarely considered a Southern state. Most people would identify with being more Northeastern. Amtrak considers the entire state of Maryland as part of the Northeast Corridor, as well.

Old 01-22-2011, 03:16 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,100,090 times
I agee with Metalhead. Geographically, MD is a southern state. Politically it is definately northern as far as people in the south are concerned. And it doesn't matter whether you're from Hagerstown or St. Marys, you're still a damn yankee down here.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:08 AM

335 posts, read 699,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
I agee with Metalhead. Geographically, MD is a southern state. Politically it is definately northern as far as people in the south are concerned. And it doesn't matter whether you're from Hagerstown or St. Marys, you're still a damn yankee down here.
Please define "damn yankee" as perceived by those in the deep south. Has the Mason-Dixon Line been replaced by the Potomac River, or are Virginians "damn yankees" also?

For those keeping score: The MD state legistlature voted to secceed from the Union, but was prevented from acting on that vote because MD was already occupied by Union forces, given their proximity to the seat of the Union capital and various established Union Army bases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland