Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2011, 06:58 AM

134 posts, read 522,854 times

Advertisements

I don't have any concrete data on the perecentage of people living in Cary that are from northern states. I would say that a lot of people all over the Raleigh area, not just Cary, are from much of the north. We have a lot of people from Boston, New York State, New Jersey, Maryland and VA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 03:32 PM

2,991 posts, read 4,289,465 times
The landmark book on Southern culture is probably "The Mind of the South" by WJ Cash. He hardly mentions Maryland, and the pattern that he relentlessly sets out regarding the historical development of Southern culture really doesn't fit MD all that well. Especially not Baltimore, which I have always believed to be just about unique. Not Northern, not Southern, just Baltimore, unlike anything else.

For anyone with an interest in this topic -- Cash's book is unusually enlightening, but a hard read.

Old 04-10-2011, 11:43 PM

12 posts, read 42,624 times
Technically, Maryland can be considered southern. Culturally, I think it's a mixed bag. The Eastern Shore and Southern MD definitely have a "southern feel". I would say accents in certain parts of Baltimore (Hampden) and the suburbs (Dundalk, Essex) definitely sound southern, at least IMO. I usually hear MD lumped in with the Mid-Atlantic, which consists of NY, NJ, DE, PA, DC, and Northern VA. I don't consider it the Northeast, that I save for the New England states. I think MD is a fascinating state that has some southern aspects but I think it's still somewhere in the middle overall. You'd never call places like PG, Montgomery, and Howard County southern. So it's in the middle and that's where it belongs.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:53 AM

316 posts, read 560,183 times
I considered myself a southerner just cause of my southern drawl. Many folks I encountered with from other places I visited say I talk too country or slow and be surprised when I tell them I'm from Maryland. Haha, it's rare to hear a native from this state with a southern accent because many folks speaks normal to me. Well, I'm going to say we're part of the south because the state is below the mason-dixon line. I think it's kind of unfair for Kentucky and West Virginia (border states) to be considered southern states but not Maryland??? I would say D.C and Baltimore metro areas are more modern, liberal, fast growing, and have influx of folks from everywhere just like the Raleigh-Durham, Charlotte, Miami, Orlando, and Atlanta metro areas in the south. So it's fair to say Maryland is a southern state with a northern mentality.

Old 05-30-2011, 12:51 PM

336 posts, read 768,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~CountryBoy~ View Post
Maryland is a southern state with a northern mentality.
Pretty much sums it up well.

Old 05-30-2011, 02:21 PM

YouTube - ‪Maryland Beauty‬‏

Old 05-30-2011, 07:12 PM

201 posts, read 574,140 times
I continuously hear people say that few southerners consider Maryland a southern state, and that's fine, but I am a from Maryland and I consider myself a southerner! I talk like one and I feel like one. That's good enough for me

Oh and another thing, why does it have to come back to Baltimore? Baltimore is not the spokes city of Maryland. I for one have only been there about 3 times and I don't care for it too much. Give me the Eastern Shore life any day!

Old 05-30-2011, 07:24 PM

3,573 posts, read 6,474,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotty19 View Post
I continuously hear people say that few southerners consider Maryland a southern state, and that's fine, but I am a from Maryland and I consider myself a southerner! I talk like one and I feel like one. That's good enough for me

Oh and another thing, why does it have to come back to Baltimore? Baltimore is not the spokes city of Maryland. I for one have only been there about 3 times and I don't care for it too much. Give me the Eastern Shore life any day!
Same here. For those of us that live on the Eastern Shore, we ARE SOUTHERNS. I didn't grow up on the Eastern Shore but my MD roots are southern also.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:24 PM

201 posts, read 574,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donie1 View Post
Same here. For those of us that live on the Eastern Shore, we ARE SOUTHERNS. I didn't grow up on the Eastern Shore but my MD roots are southern also.
I grew up here and my whole family exhibits southern qualities. Sit in a room with my grandmother for about 2 minutes, you'll think she's from rural Georgia or Alabama!

Old 05-31-2011, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotty19 View Post
Well said. There's more to Maryland than Baltimore-Washington area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland