Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2011, 09:40 PM

389 posts, read 794,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew_s View Post
Our climate is identical to south carolina and up.

Not going to the right places like stated above.

Deleware is technically on the other side of the mason dixon line and geographically isnt in dixie, but Im sure there are some people that think alike in some parts of deleware.
I wouldn't include SC. I would say MD, Delaware, far-southeastern PA, South Jersey, Virginia, and North Carolina make up a better climate region. The mountain areas of MD, VA, and NC all have humid continental climates like the Northeast with four seasons while the flatter areas of the state are humid subtropical with hot, humid summers and mild winters. To me, though, the ocean water in NC is somewhat warmer than the water in Ocean City, but that might not be directly related.

I agree about the Southern accent thing. My friends at Maryland always get questioned for their Southern-influenced accents by those from the central part of the state. I guess people don't expect Southerness from Marylanders anymore. One obnoxious NYer actually asked if one of my friends was from Alabama! I've heard similar accents from those on the Eastern Shore and in the Southern part of the state, albeit more of the Tidewater variety than Appalachian. But the central part of the state hasn't always been like that. Several decades ago, parts of Montgomery and PG County were non-rhotic, but that line has since receded south. Take, for example, Governor O'Malley who grew up in Potomac. I've met lots of people from Potomac and none have a Southern accent, yet our governor, who grew up there several decades ago, definitely has a Marylander's accent (at least to my ears, although I'll admit I have an infatuation with linguistics and some may not hear it).

Regarding Delaware, two-thirds of their state feels just as southern as the Eastern Shore to me. I've never noticed much of a difference when crossing any of the state lines in the Delmarva, honestly. I say Delaware is whatever we are, despite being on the other side of the Mason-Dixon (which I don't really like using as a point of reference for the South vs North).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2011, 05:15 PM

171 posts, read 217,285 times
andrew_s, I take your side in this argument, and agree that the Mason-Dixon Line has indeed defined what is Northern and Southern.

For what it's worth, city-data has Delaware as being a Southern state...?

Old 01-01-2012, 10:21 AM

2,305 posts, read 6,071,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afromatic View Post
It's definitely not a southern state anymore. When I'm in Maryland I don't here no southern accents.
People from the north might say...

When I'm in Maryland I don't hear ANY southern accents.

The way you wrote it is southern at it's core. And you surely have not been to the right parts of Maryland. I lived in MD for 48 years and I have just enough of a southern accent to fit in here in NC.

Old 01-01-2012, 10:28 AM

44,980 posts, read 59,968,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
People from the north might say...

When I'm in Maryland I don't hear ANY southern accents.

The way you wrote it is southern at it's core. And you surely have not been to the right parts of Maryland. I lived in MD for 48 years and I have just enough of a southern accent to fit in here in NC.
When my oldest daughter went to college in PA people teased her about her southern accent. As happens to me, now, when I'm back there.

I was at a diner a couple months ago up in the northern tier and the waitress asked me what part of the South I am from (in reality I was born in the town, just haven't lived there for years) .

Old 01-02-2012, 07:36 PM

386 posts, read 652,597 times
Im not saying anything about deleware other then the fact that it resides on the other side of the line.

Maybe I get a little heated, but I grow tired of temporary residents coming down here and defining our state. Either way I know how I was raised and it wasnt by northern culture.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs72 View Post
I wouldn't include SC. I would say MD, Delaware, far-southeastern PA, South Jersey, Virginia, and North Carolina make up a better climate region. The mountain areas of MD, VA, and NC all have humid continental climates like the Northeast with four seasons while the flatter areas of the state are humid subtropical with hot, humid summers and mild winters. To me, though, the ocean water in NC is somewhat warmer than the water in Ocean City, but that might not be directly related.

I agree about the Southern accent thing. My friends at Maryland always get questioned for their Southern-influenced accents by those from the central part of the state. I guess people don't expect Southerness from Marylanders anymore. One obnoxious NYer actually asked if one of my friends was from Alabama! I've heard similar accents from those on the Eastern Shore and in the Southern part of the state, albeit more of the Tidewater variety than Appalachian. But the central part of the state hasn't always been like that. Several decades ago, parts of Montgomery and PG County were non-rhotic, but that line has since receded south. Take, for example, Governor O'Malley who grew up in Potomac. I've met lots of people from Potomac and none have a Southern accent, yet our governor, who grew up there several decades ago, definitely has a Marylander's accent (at least to my ears, although I'll admit I have an infatuation with linguistics and some may not hear it).

Regarding Delaware, two-thirds of their state feels just as southern as the Eastern Shore to me. I've never noticed much of a difference when crossing any of the state lines in the Delmarva, honestly. I say Delaware is whatever we are, despite being on the other side of the Mason-Dixon (which I don't really like using as a point of reference for the South vs North).
I cant say much about SC but I know they are pretty close climate wise from the times I have been there. COuld I be wrong? Sure, as I havent looked at their temperatures. But I know for a fact NC and virginia are identicle. Might be a degree or two difference here and there. But I know NC summers are the same as ours and their winters are too and I have spent many many seasons down there.

Honestly if there is one thing I can agree on is that our accent and way of life is being watered down. Most native marylanders seem to try and hide the fact that they have southern accents and it just comes across wrong. I can also admit I was one of those people trying to assimilate into the central MD attitude for a short bit until I realized the innate problem with changing who you are. Id say 5 years in central MD and maybe a year and a half of trying to assimilate and it didnt work.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:03 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,262,290 times
Quote:
Im not saying anything about deleware other then the fact that it resides on the other side of the line.
Yeah, it'd probably be good if you could spell it before saying anything about it.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:48 AM

Typical northeast manners right there. Im sorry in the heat of a post I spelled it deleware instead of the proper delaware...

Never been a great speller and I havent loaded firefox with spell check so Im pretty sure thats not the only spelling error I have had thus far.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:18 PM

6,924 posts, read 11,181,214 times
Quote:
Typical northeast manners right there. Im sorry in the heat of a post I spelled it deleware instead of the proper delaware...

Never been a great speller and I havent loaded firefox with spell check so Im pretty sure thats not the only spelling error I have had thus far.
When someone resorts to cherry picking out a spelling error in an online forum it is pretty sure sign that

1. They have already lost the debate

and/or

2. They are a D-Bag

Old 01-03-2012, 01:28 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,262,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
When someone resorts to cherry picking out a spelling error in an online forum it is pretty sure sign that

1. They have already lost the debate

and/or

2. They are a D-Bag
Normally I don't really care but he's already spelled it as "Deleware" at least ten times in this thread. Like I said previously, it's tough to have any credibility when saying things like "MD has an identical climate to NC and SC" when you can't even spell the name of the state right next door.

Lost the debate? For one, I was never even really on a particular side. I've been in the Maryland is Mid-Atlantic, some parts are Southern crowd, and I thought you were too? So you think all of Maryland should be considered southern as andrew does?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland