Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2012, 07:32 PM

501 posts, read 1,161,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
I wasn't throwing you under the bus, I was just saying you were one of the people arguing hard for the whole state of Maryland still being considered southern. Even MDGuy who you just said thank you thank you thank you to agreed that it was not, really only Southern MD and the Eastern Shore.
Yeah, if he was saying historically, I could understand that but the state as a whole, culturally, today? I don't see how a solid case could be made for that anymore. I think there would be some denial going on, which I can understand, but let's face it, Mid-Atlantic (notice, NOT Northeastern. Not the definition of Mid-Atlantic as a "subset of the Northeast", but Mid-Atlantic as in DELMARVA & DC, not fully Northern, not fully Southern) is the most suitable description in 2012.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 08:51 PM

386 posts, read 655,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
I wasn't throwing you under the bus, I was just saying you were one of the people arguing hard for the whole state of Maryland still being considered southern. Even MDGuy who you just said thank you thank you thank you to agreed that it was not, really only Southern MD and the Eastern Shore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDguy99 View Post
Yeah, if he was saying historically, I could understand that but the state as a whole, culturally, today? I don't see how a solid case could be made for that anymore. I think there would be some denial going on, which I can understand, but let's face it, Mid-Atlantic (notice, NOT Northeastern. Not the definition of Mid-Atlantic as a "subset of the Northeast", but Mid-Atlantic as in DELMARVA & DC, not fully Northern, not fully Southern) is the most suitable description in 2012.
The state resides south of the line so the entire state resides in dixie. Culturally that isnt the case in central Maryland, but geographically that part is still within dixie. The triangle in NC or NOVA in VA are heavy transplants zones, but are still within the boundaries of dixie. That is all Im saying. Saying any state is culturally 100% southern is impossible as there are ZERO states with even close to 100% southern culture these days. Culture is a much harder thing to define and map out. If you wanna color in a map of "the south" as defined by culture it would look like swiss cheese. But the region commonly referred to as dixie can be defined still.

Maryland 100% inside dixie? Yes. Maryland 100% culturally southern? No. These have been my arguments the entire time. Nothing more nothing less. Do I get a very upset when someone says that my families culture doesnt exist? Yes.

Do I think Maryland is in the mid atlantic? Sure but only when the region is defined correctly. PA, NJ, and NY are NOT mid atlantic in my book. MD, DE, VA and NC sure.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:20 PM

10,109 posts, read 9,971,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew_s View Post
The state resides south of the line so the entire state resides in dixie. Culturally that isnt the case in central Maryland, but geographically that part is still within dixie. The triangle in NC or NOVA in VA are heavy transplants zones, but are still within the boundaries of dixie. That is all Im saying. Saying any state is culturally 100% southern is impossible as there are ZERO states with even close to 100% southern culture these days. Culture is a much harder thing to define and map out. If you wanna color in a map of "the south" as defined by culture it would look like swiss cheese. But the region commonly referred to as dixie can be defined still.

Maryland 100% inside dixie? Yes. Maryland 100% culturally southern? No. These have been my arguments the entire time. Nothing more nothing less. Do I get a very upset when someone says that my families culture doesnt exist? Yes.

Do I think Maryland is in the mid atlantic? Sure but only when the region is defined correctly. PA, NJ, and NY are NOT mid atlantic in my book. MD, DE, VA and NC sure.
NC mid-atlantic??

Old 05-22-2012, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
NC mid-atlantic??
There are sources that claim that, believe it or not. I've definitely heard it a few times, but can't say I agree with it- just like I don't agree with New York being in it!

Old 05-23-2012, 04:00 AM

10,109 posts, read 9,971,621 times
Quote:
There are sources that claim that, believe it or not. I've definitely heard it a few times, but can't say I agree with it- just like I don't agree with New York being in it!
I've seen multiple sources, and even NYC residents themselves say that they are mid-atlantic; I've NEVER seen any such thing with NC.

It seems that people are trying to make Maryland more southern than it really is.

Last edited by KodeBlue; 05-23-2012 at 04:12 AM..

Old 05-23-2012, 08:21 AM

Quote:
NC mid-atlantic??
Quote:
Its a stretch, but NC makes more sense then NJ and NY. I define the mid atlantic as MD, DE, VA and mostly NC or bust. The region is isnt properly deifned and moves alot. As someone said it can go as far south as SC and as far north as NY. Honestly MD, VA, NC and DE make the best arguement for the region as NC to the farthest south and DE to the farthest north are pretty damn close in mileage. Not to mention the string of states, minus DE being as its skinny, are split into the same 3 general cultures. Appalachia in the west, piedmont in the center and coastal in the east (DE is only coastal). So these 4 states make the most sense, while SC, NY, PA, and NJ make no sense at all.

As to how I refer to what region I live in, well that is easy for yall to assume. I say the south. Would I ever say mid atlantic is the region I live in? Sure if it was defined correctly. But its not so I dont.

Quote:
I've seen multiple sources, and even NYC residents themselves say that they are mid-atlantic; I've NEVER seen any such thing with NC.

It seems that people are trying to make Maryland more southern than it really is.
No. The reason NYC say mid atlantic is because the region isnt defined correctly and you know it. As stated above and many many times all over the region ranges from SC to NY depending on who you ask. PA, NJ, and NY are NOT settled midway on the coast of the US.

I think you need to leave Baltimore and get out and see our great state before claiming its not something...

Old 05-23-2012, 08:24 AM

Quote:
This is the description of pretty much all states east of the Mississippi. There are a few states that have stronger ties to there region, but 100% northern or southern culturally? Impossible these days.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:

Yeah, no. I used to live in Northern NJ and work in NYC for years. Everyone I knew saw themselves as Northeastern. Mid-Atlantic was MD, DE, DC, and southern PA and NJ to them. (Not Virginia, Virginia was Southern to them)

I think you're trying to make MD more like NY and NJ than it really is...

Look it up, a quick Google search will yield some results suggesting NC is Mid-Atlantic. I don't agree with it, but it's there.

Wait, I'll save you the trouble.... this is from a Google Search that took all of 10 seconds (these are a few of many that include NC):

Last edited by MDguy99; 05-23-2012 at 09:02 AM..

Old 05-23-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Yeah, no. I used to live in Northern NJ and work in NYC for years. Everyone I knew saw themselves as Northeastern. Mid-Atlantic was MD, DE, DC, and southern PA and NJ to them. (Not Virginia, Virginia was Southern to them)

I think you're trying to make MD more like NY and NJ than it really is...

Look it up, a quick Google search will yield some results suggesting NC is Mid-Atlantic. I don't agree with it, but it's there.

Wait, I'll save you the trouble.... this is from a Google Search that took all of 10 seconds (these are a few of many that include NC):

How would you personally define the midatlantic region?

Old 05-23-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew_s View Post
How would you personally define the midatlantic region?
I already said it, please re-read some of my posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland