Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2012, 09:27 AM

7,012 posts, read 11,307,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seekingcreativity View Post
LOL!! Sorry had to bring it up! We are southwest but we are THE SOUTH
The South and South-West are two different regions. Which is your state in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 04:55 AM

228 posts, read 601,159 times
Having lived in Maryland for 6 months, the way the majority of Marylanders I have met certainly do not act like the lovely Southerners I had the pleasure of living with in North Carolina.

So, maybe in the past Maryland was a Southern state, but it certainly is not now.

From hearing waitresses say "youse guys" instead of "you all." To a significant lack of social niceties...to the way that people drive in Baltimore, which is certainly not Southern...to the lack of good sweet tea...and lack of southern bbq...this state is not southern.

There may be a propensity for overalls and camo here and facial hair...but, the south I know is sun dresses and big hats and chino slacks and visors and mint juleps...

So, no this place is certainly not a southern state...

Old 11-28-2012, 05:22 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,514,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningNorm View Post

There may be a propensity for overalls and camo here and facial hair...but, the south I know is sun dresses and big hats and chino slacks and visors and mint juleps...
Where the heck in the south does that culture really persist?

Old 11-28-2012, 05:25 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,103,251 times
Quote:
So, no this place is certainly not a southern state...
You're just in the wrong part Norm. Just about the whole of Maryland's Eastern Shore is decidedly southern in character. As is Anne Arundel County from the South River on south from there.

In my 48 years in Maryland I never once heard someone say "youse guys". Ya'll was a common phrase. My southern accent from living in Maryland all of those years is just enough to get me by as a native here in Greenville.

Old 11-28-2012, 05:27 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,103,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Where the heck in the south does that culture really persist?
In the book Gone With The Wind.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
You're just in the wrong part Norm. Just about the whole of Maryland's Eastern Shore is decidedly southern in character. As is Anne Arundel County from the South River on south from there.

In my 48 years in Maryland I never once heard someone say "youse guys". Ya'll was a common phrase. My southern accent from living in Maryland all of those years is just enough to get me by as a native here in Greenville.
Richard, I will certainly agree that I am in the wrong part of the state...but, yes, I hear youse guys regularly here and the culture feels decidedly northern...and, not in a good way.

As to the other gent's question about where is that culture? I think my experience of living on college campuses for the past 10 years and counting may have influenced my perspective somewhat.

But, if you go to an ECU football game, for example, you will see many of the college women and younger female grads in purple sundresses. The young gents in slacks or khaki/plaid shorts, Izod shirts, golf visors, and boat shoes. You will see the same attire at Clemson, South Carolina, etc.

If you go to events such as Carolina Cup, you will see in abundance the culture I describe.

IE: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-SET-MSbe6V...0/IMG_3700.JPG

The south is alive and well; and I am moving back in two weeks. Hallelujah!

Old 11-28-2012, 06:45 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,514,699 times
Quote:

But, if you go to an ECU football game, for example, you will see many of the college women and younger female grads in purple sundresses. The young gents in slacks or khaki/plaid shorts, Izod shirts, golf visors, and boat shoes. You will see the same attire at Clemson, South Carolina, etc.
Ohhhhh that kind of stuff. Yes a good amount of my family is from that part of NC. Beautiful area but I did not feel comfortable there. I'm not a purebred WASP, so there's no room for me really in that culture. Best of luck in your move.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Richard, I will certainly agree that I am in the wrong part of the state...but, yes, I hear youse guys regularly here and the culture feels decidedly northern...and, not in a good way.

As to the other gent's question about where is that culture? I think my experience of living on college campuses for the past 10 years and counting may have influenced my perspective somewhat.

If you go to events such as Carolina Cup, you will see in abundance the culture I describe.

IE: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-SET-MSbe6V...0/IMG_3700.JPG

The south is alive and well; and I am moving back in two weeks. Hallelujah!
It Appalachian, Norm, not "Northern." And yes, you will hear "youse guys" around here. Good luck on you move, I am sorry it didn't work out for you. Just please do us the courtesy of not coming back and trashing the area because it didn't work out for you here.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
It Appalachian, Norm, not "Northern." And yes, you will hear "youse guys" around here. Good luck on you move, I am sorry it didn't work out for you. Just please do us the courtesy of not coming back and trashing the area because it didn't work out for you here.
Thanks, Westsideboy! That makes sense, the whole Appalachian thing. I will say that living here has helped clarify for me the kind of environment, resources, style of living, etc. that I need personally to be happy. So, I am very grateful for this place and the people here for clarifying that for me.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Thanks, Westsideboy! That makes sense, the whole Appalachian thing. I will say that living here has helped clarify for me the kind of environment, resources, style of living, etc. that I need personally to be happy. So, I am very grateful for this place and the people here for clarifying that for me.
Right, "country" with the facial hair, camo, hunting, etc, but not "Southern" in the genteel low country way. Yeah, our area isn't for everyone, and you seem to have a very mature attitude about it, which I appreciate. Like I said, I am sorry it didn't work out, we could have used the new blood. That being said, if you aren't happy here, it is good to figure it out and do something about it. Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland