Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2014, 03:37 PM

91 posts, read 117,278 times

Advertisements

Maryland is a northern state. As a newcomer to America I find it a classic "Yankee" state. I find nothing southern about it in any way. Even the attitudes of people are very northern. It also too cold in the winter, too liberal, to many Cathlics/too few baptists, and the accent even sounds just like Philadelphia ("wooder").
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 03:40 PM

45,078 posts, read 60,132,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oranje1 View Post
Maryland is a northern state. As a newcomer to America I find it a classic "Yankee" state. I find nothing southern about it in any way. Even the attitudes of people are very northern. It also too cold in the winter, too liberal, to many Cathlics/too few baptists, and the accent even sounds just like Philadelphia ("wooder").

You do realize that MD was founded as a Catholic colony, right? That sort of explains the Catholic influence, especially in Southern MD.

A note about "Northern": get away from I 95.

Old 10-09-2014, 04:07 PM

6,948 posts, read 11,212,230 times
Quote:
So Louisiana isn't a Southern State either because they have too many Catholics?

As a newcomer to America, I would suggest getting out a bit more, reading a bit more, and not relying on monolithic stereotypes about what different regions in America are like, or how people self-ID.

All the Dutch still have their fingers stuck in dikes and are constantly high on the legal drugs while drinking Amstel right?

Old 10-09-2014, 04:32 PM

I am sorry you feel the need to disagree. Maryland seems extremely northern to me, and all of the Marylanders I have interacted have identified as northerners. I genuinely hope this isn't insulting for you.

Old 10-09-2014, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
So Louisiana isn't a Southern State either because they have too many Catholics?

As a newcomer to America, I would suggest getting out a bit more, reading a bit more, and not relying on monolithic stereotypes about what different regions in America are like, or how people self-ID.

All the Dutch still have their fingers stuck in dikes and are constantly high on the legal drugs while drinking Amstel right?
I am hurt by your comments. I have nothing but love and great interest for your state so I don't understand why you need to insult me or my nationality. So far Marylanders have been exceeding kind and accommodating. I apologize for anything I have said that has offended you and hopefully we can be friends in the future.

Old 10-09-2014, 05:16 PM

45,078 posts, read 60,132,206 times
Quote:
I am hurt by your comments. I have nothing but love and great interest for your state so I don't understand why you need to insult me or my nationality. So far Marylanders have been exceeding kind and accommodating. I apologize for anything I have said that has offended you and hopefully we can be friends in the future.
If they've been "kind and accommodating" then you haven't been to the part that identifies as Northern (unless you were being set up to be scammed).

Old 10-09-2014, 05:45 PM

6,948 posts, read 11,212,230 times
Quote:
That was the point, it was blatant stereotyping of a place, and a people I know next to nothing about.

Don't do the same. When you admit you haven't been in America very long, let along Maryland, and then list a trait you define as being Southern, like being majority Baptist, that isn't true throughout the region. It indicates to me that you have a very limited and monolithic understanding of a large, complex cultural region. It shows me you don't have the background knowledge to speak with any more authority on this issue than I do when talking about your home.

How much of the state have you visited before giving your opinion? What do you know of Maryland, or Marylanders, west of Sideling Hill? South of the beltway? Off the beaten path on the Eastern Shore? If the answer is "not much," you can't speak on what Maryland is or is not any more than I can visit Amsterdam and start rattling off what life must be like in Limburg.........it all just the Netherlands and therefore the same, right?

Last edited by westsideboy; 10-09-2014 at 07:14 PM..

Old 10-10-2014, 10:46 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,174,017 times
Quote:
It's your opinion, no harm no foul. Others may get defensive about that but you should stand firm my friend. Some Marylanders such as those two identify as Southern whereas other Marylanders such as myself identify as Northern. Maryland is culturally hybrid state with a mix of different cultures such as Lower Northeastern, Upper Southern, a bit of Appalachian, International, etc. It's arguably the quintessential Mid-Atlantic state. As for the dialect, 'wooder' is pretty common up in the Baltimore area and over on the Eastern Shore (which is interesting considering the somewhat Southern vibe out there. The most common pronunciation for water here in the Maryland suburbs of Washington DC (Suburban Maryland being Prince George's County, Montgomery County, Charles County, Calvert County, and Frederick County) is generally 'wadder', I catch myself saying it all the time. The Baltimore accent/dialect sounds fairly similar to the Philly/South Jersey accent/dialect, while the DC/Suburban Maryland accent/dialect sounds a little more unique for the East Coast and it tends to vary a bit within The City itself and when it travels out here to Suburban Maryland or across the Potomac in Northern Virginia. We say things that you wouldn't hear out of someone from further up in the Northeast or out of someone from the South, we even say some things that you wouldn't hear from both regions. I personally don't think I have the DC accent (but my accent does sound a little nasal or twangy) but I do have the local dialect that I can easily switch on and off. Btw, the DC accent is primarily common among us Black Americans who were born and raised in the area (there is possibly a White DC accent but born and bred white Washingtonians are a little on the rare side...The closest accent I can think of is comedian Lewis Black's. He's from Silver Spring). Up in the Baltimore area, blacks and whites share their city's accent with some differences. I think you might also hear Baltimorese among the local white population as well.

As for religion, Maryland is diverse in its denominations. You have Catholics, Baptists (not as much notable as in say Georgia or North Carolina), Mennonite, Methodist, Anglican, Muslim/Moslem, Orthodox Jewish, Atheist, Deist, Buddhist, Sikh, Hindi, etc. My immediate family grew up as Baptists (my stepdad is Methodist), however even though I suppose you could say I'm a Baptist, personally I'm not a religious person (not Atheist or even Diest but I'm not much of a fan of religion). As I said, everybody's different. Maryland can be a complicated state to figure out at times.

Last edited by tcave360; 10-10-2014 at 10:54 AM..

Old 10-10-2014, 11:54 AM

2,570 posts, read 4,622,204 times
Default boredatwork

Heres how you kill this argument. If you are driving i-85 from GA up to i-95 all the way up to Maryland. Are you really still in the south?

Old 10-10-2014, 12:41 PM

31,963 posts, read 34,502,290 times
Here's a piece written by Ta-Nehisi Coates, a native of Baltimore. If you don't know who Ta-Nehisi Coates is (you should), I'll forgive your ignorance for the time being.

Quote:
As tends to happen, the implicit claim that the Eastern Shore of Maryland--in the 20s and 30s-- qualifies as the "South" raised some eyebrows in comments. Having traveled the South quite a bit, I can sort of see the point. But not really. It's always felt much more like Virginia to me than, say, Upstate New York or rural Massachusetts. Of course there are those who don't believe Virginia is the South either. Which is sort of the point.

Over the past decade I've heard people from South Carolina insist that Louisiana isn't the South, and people from Louisiana isn't that Virginia isn't the South, and people from Virginia insist Kentucky isn't the South, and people from Kentucky insist that Texas isn't the South, and so on...

As best I can tell, the indisputable South consists of four states--South Carolina, Alabama, Mississippi and Georgia. It even seems that Georgia is getting sketchy--Atlanta has always skewed things.
The Indisputable South - The Atlantic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland