U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 08:26 AM

12,553 posts, read 18,921,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubytue View Post
Not really that off-topic. Lots of folks read these forums and digressions can happen and be helpful. Like for me, who is searching for information on Bowie, and found this thread only to find nothing
So start a thread! You will eventually get answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 08:29 AM

12,553 posts, read 18,921,472 times
OP- I'm not sure how doing what you suggest will help you get out from under the water. You shouldn't add expenses to your life, but rather find ways to cut expenses and/or increase income. Just my thought.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:58 AM

6,014 posts, read 6,515,432 times
No offense meant, I'm just a 'cut to the chase' kind of person......

Let me get this straight: You're thinking about adding new financial pressures to your life in a precarious economy to move 20 miles away from where you are, to an area that's not THAT much different or far away from where you are -- because you want to? Not NEED to, want to.

OK. On the face of it, it doesn't seem like a smart move.
But if you think the grass will be that much greener in Columbia, that it's worth the financial risk ....I wish you well. Remember that expectations can be a set up for disappointment, and the devil you know can be better that the one you don't.

It's true.... you can't live (and none of us should live) in fear of the unknown -- but wisdom is always to be desired as well. Calculate the true risks and make your decision then.

Any thought to waiting until your house might come back up in value a bit more? Or you child gets school age. Both of those things would buy you a bit more time for a better financial situation. (if only to build an even bigger savings cushion)

From your answers, I get the impression this want isn't even that STRONG of a want, but I casual, "I'd like to." If you had said "I've GOT to move" my mental health and sanity depend on it -- that would be one thing -- but taking financial risk for a "want" -- always needs to be well though out.

(And I say this as someone who has taken my fair share of unwise financial decisions for VERY STRONG WANTS, that fortunately worked out, but still may not have been wise at the time.)

Old 02-20-2011, 12:11 PM

21 posts, read 65,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtin View Post
why would you move to Columbia just to lose money in rent, though?
Exactly. Seems like a lose-lose to me. What prevents you from staying in your current house if anything?

For everyone who's "upside down" on their house if you're still paying the bills and and you're not planning on selling the current value of it should not matter.

A house is a shelter to LIVE in. It is not an investment.

I'm not shunning you or anyone who's "upside down" or lost money on their house, but that's how people got in trouble in the first place, not to mention what has caused housing prices to (in my opinion still) become overinflated across the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or