U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2011, 01:25 PM

7 posts, read 10,463 times

Advertisements

I have read through previous threads about the state vehicle inspections but most are a few years old and for other cities. We just moved here and I am trying to find a good place to have my car inspected. I have called a few different places and the cost ranges from $50-125 bucks. I have read all these stories of people having to pay huge amounts of money to get their car to code. My car is an 08 civic and is in great working order, Ive not had any problems with it and as of my last oil change at the dealer they didn't note that there was anything that needed fixed. So is there any reputable places in Hagerstown where I could get my vehicle inspected? I am considering just going to Honda, because they have always treated me right back in Ohio, but they are the most expensive place I have called so if there is a cheaper place I'd be happy to go there.....Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 01:56 PM

447 posts, read 1,019,995 times
I have dealt with Hagerstown Honda for years, and have always felt that they treated me good and never took advantage of me. So.....I would feel good about going there. I would bet a Mom and Pop kind of place might be cheaper. Longmeadow Fuel and Service Center (formally Exxon) may do it, and I have taken cars to them for service over the years. Murry's Auto in Williamsport may be a good one as well. Try those, both reputable.

Old 01-27-2011, 02:14 PM

13 posts, read 39,935 times
Spanky's in Hagerstown (right on Jefferson blvd) is where I go to take my car for repairs, but I don't know if they do inspections and they only have one mechanic, so it can take a day or two sometimes. On the up side, they won't charge you an arm and a leg.

Old 03-20-2011, 12:33 PM

25 posts, read 46,724 times
Did you find anywhere to go yet? I am in the same boat, I was going to go to place called Frederick Street Auto, but the review I have read had a horror story with them. I just need an inspection, I don't want to put too much money into it, my car is old and just not worth it. I had some cold weather issues when I moved here in January and took my car in for some standard work- work I should have done myself- no big deal. The shop I went to wanted to do an unnecessary $800 repair. The guy actually looked confsed when I said "no". What moron would get an $800 repair on a car with 200+ miles on it. My point is: I want to avoid this kind of mentality. I just want an inspection and out. If they want too much money I'll have to get another car so I need an honest shop.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:08 AM

77 posts, read 255,206 times
$50 -125 bucks!!!! Ouch! We're moving to Hagerstown in about a month and will need to get our vehicles inspected as well. Up here in New York we only pay $21 a year for the inspection. Wow that's steep. Is Maryland one of those states does the probe up the tailpipe thing? I've heard that's a big money grabber for the DMVs.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:49 AM

6,473 posts, read 10,727,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonJeep View Post
$50 -125 bucks!!!! Ouch! We're moving to Hagerstown in about a month and will need to get our vehicles inspected as well. Up here in New York we only pay $21 a year for the inspection. Wow that's steep. Is Maryland one of those states does the probe up the tailpipe thing? I've heard that's a big money grabber for the DMVs.
The safety inspection only happens one time, when you first register the vehicle. I thought the smog inspection is only done in urban counties but it appears it's throughout the state now (was not the case when I was living in a rural area of the state). So long as your car is running ok and your engine light is not on, you'll pass.

I used to live in NY and have found both DMVs to be aggravating though in different ways. Best bet for MD if you don't drive much is get a 20+ year old car and register it with historic tags. $50/year registration, no inspection ever. If we get a 2nd car, it's probably what I'll do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland