Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 11:11 AM

274 posts, read 678,760 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the advice...jury still out on where I'll end up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 08:24 PM

10 posts, read 23,548 times
I have been looking in Hagerstown..... it is a small city with some life there.... it is a hour+ to the real cities (DC/Balt.).... it is near mountains and trees.... it is pretty cheap...... I don't have a clue about teaching jobs or the single scene.... I'm 55 looking to slow down and live cheaper.... who knows what the future will be?

Old 02-20-2011, 08:36 AM

21 posts, read 77,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eav1221 View Post
living paycheck to paycheck in MD, struggling, and paying 11 dollars for a mixed drink in Annapolis. I can't afford to live here anymore,... SIGH.
Stop shelling out $11 a pop for mixed drinks in Annapolis and your money will go much farther. No one is forcing you to spend. I'm 24, never made more than $48K/year and yet I have $150K in savings. Choices. Choices. Choices. Be frugal.

Sounds like you're just another bored (as you mentioned) Single White Female who turned down all the nice guys in your youth and is now struggling to find a marriage partner. Stop the entitlement complex. Start being responsible, you can start with your money.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:19 AM

1 posts, read 1,483 times
Lightbulb Same page!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tichel View Post
If you like mountains and green, you may want to consider Denver, CO. This is a big city with so much to do in all seasons. I am currently in Colorado Springs, but miss the ocean side (I'm from S. Florida). I was hoping to live somewhere in Northern Virginia or Southern MD. I too feel like you. Living in Colorado has made me appreciate the mountains, but I'm still a coastal girl. Anyway, Denver/Boulder is a college/young city. Maybe it's the place for you!
I am also looking into the possibility of actually vacationing even just for a few days/week out to Denver and even out to MONTANA. We have a lifelong dream of owning our own home with a small amount of acreage for our horse and maybe adding another horse.. a small hobby farm. We are in Wisconsin right now, and just need to get out! However, we obviously need zoned properly to allow horses and such- and definitely want to find a place that the family can all benefit ( hopefully that minimum wage is the same as, or even better paying as Wisconsin, to fall back on of course. ) but as a single mom who is interested in a nursing career, maybe Colorado would not be a bad idea if college is big there? Although, a small technical college was the plan for me here in Wisconsin to achieve my goal. With children I have limited time, so working is necessary and school will be a part time thing!

Love the ability to chat with all parts of the country, this is just great!

Old 03-06-2013, 08:58 PM

265 posts, read 509,884 times
I want to move too. Living here for most of my life. Traveled a lot and thinking about TN. I travel a bit in FL. I like the seasons so maybe TN will work for me. I be retiring soon, so having a job would not matter. Looking for a home with some land.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:51 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,411,688 times
I don't think it's fair to lecture the OP on her spending habits. I mean going out for a drink is not exactly an extravagant lifestyle, she should be allowed. The problem of course is drinking in Annapolis is off the charts expensive.

So eav where are you from and what do you like? The suggestions here are all fine if you are ok with the long winters most of these places have. Me? Not a chance. But be aware that there is more to Maryland than just Anne Arundal County. Hagerstown may be too remote for you but Frederick and the surrounding areas may not be. And it's much less expensive to live there. Other possibilities are places like Winchester VA. But again I don't know if you are a big city or small town person.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:42 PM

924 posts, read 2,603,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fe26 View Post
Stop shelling out $11 a pop for mixed drinks in Annapolis and your money will go much farther. No one is forcing you to spend. I'm 24, never made more than $48K/year and yet I have $150K in savings. Choices. Choices. Choices. Be frugal.

Sounds like you're just another bored (as you mentioned) Single White Female who turned down all the nice guys in your youth and is now struggling to find a marriage partner. Stop the entitlement complex. Start being responsible, you can start with your money.
I doubt this person is doing this every night and was probably just using it as an example. MD is an extremely expensive place to live and the cost of living can make it very difficult for a young person trying to make it.

If you are 24 and have that much in savings then I'm guessing you lived with your parents for most of that time...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland