U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2011, 12:27 PM

274 posts, read 539,604 times

Advertisements

I've been living in MD for almost 10 years. I'm a 34 yr. old SWF teacher, and am bored to death of living paycheck to paycheck in MD, struggling, and paying 11 dollars for a mixed drink in Annapolis. I can't afford to live here anymore, and want an affordable area, with trees, mountains, an affordable life, and a need for teachers. I can't see myself staying in MD ONE MORE YEAR. I realize things are bad for teachers no matter where you go due to budget cuts, teacher cuts, etc. but I gotta get out of here....but I just don't know where to go! I was thinking VT, but after reading the posts about VT, I just don't know anymore. Too expensive, poor pay, etc. Upstate New York? I don't know. PA? It's hard to get in there although I'm originally from western PA. Where is my utopia? my oasis? my niche? Where should I go? Where are there single guys left who want a nice girl!??? I'm so sick of the individualism, the constant rushing around, traffic jams, the fakeness, the smoke stacks pouring out their filth, and the BAD, CHEMICAL TASTING TAP WATER HERE! (anyone else taste it in Severna Park, especially? And Annapolis? Hope I don't have cancer!) New Hampshire? Massachusettes? I'm thinking New England. Anyone have any advice for this poor, frustrated, and hopeless teacher? SIGH.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 12:33 PM

3,045 posts, read 2,883,961 times
You never know where you will be happy until you spend some time there--you have to research some places and go visit. I like mountains too, but can't deal with the New England weather. I have found Asheville, N.C. and Chattanooga Tn both nice places. Asheville has quite a bit more going on but both have great views, nice communities and some good energy. But you gotta get out there and travel some, even if only for extended weekends. Many places sound great, then you get there and it just doesn't click. And don't think of ourself as poor, frustrated, and hopeless--sometimes you have to get completely miserable in order to find the motivation for a change. Get out there and see what you can see!

Old 02-01-2011, 12:52 PM

274 posts, read 539,604 times
Thanks for the thoughts. I have a sister in RI and she likes it...but is still a student without the burden of the kinds of bills I have...so I need a place where I could actually make it. I'd maybe want to move closer to her, which would be north of the Mason Dixon...I've thought about going south, but the teacher pay gets worse the further south you go, in general. Oh well, the search continues. and, I am at that completely miserable point

Old 02-01-2011, 09:07 PM

2 posts, read 9,600 times
I was recently in Charlotte NC. It seems to have a huge boom going on. It seemed very nice and the prices I heard from the people living there didn't seem too bad compared to Maryland.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:55 AM

4,558 posts, read 7,619,598 times
Cumberland Maryland has trees, mountains, and a cheap cost of living. I am not sure if there is a teacher shortage at the moment, but there will be soon since so many of the current teachers are close to retirement age.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:54 PM

13 posts, read 60,375 times
I suggest you got to Minneapolis, Minnesota! I'm from Minnesota..cost of living is not too bad (better than MD), the education system there is great! And it's been voted as one of the places for having a lot of singles!

Old 02-11-2011, 02:35 AM

15,691 posts, read 34,684,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eav1221 View Post
I've thought about going south, but the teacher pay gets worse the further south you go, in general. (
I think the problem is if you go to New England like MA or RI, you'll experience about the same cost of living as MD.

So, people who advise you to go South, are actually recommending it because of the lower cost of living. On the other hand, salaries go down with a lower cost of living.

Might have to just decrease your spending habits...going to Annapolis for $11 drinks seems like an unncessary habit to me

Actually I've heard Texas is a place that has higher wages and a lower cost of living. I don't think there are many other places around like that though. Generally though, teacher types seem to thrive more in low cost of living areas, in general.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:44 AM

38 posts, read 90,941 times
Texas has lower wages and the cost of living is lower than in New England...But you dont get the huge arts culture and history there either.....In New England, there is a thriving established coffeehouse scene with fabulous live performers in every decent size small town...Not so in Texas, where you mostly have to go to the cities to enjoy cultural events....The anti tax base conservative government axes alot of art and music programs and isnt very welcoming for gays there unless one stays in their "hood" in a city......Then theres the double digit heat for 4 months there or more depending on how far south you live in the state...So you cant enjoy summer much unless you want to fry or sit in a pool.....Austin is the only place thats really thriving culturally that Id live in Texas...and I grew up there one hour from Austin.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:00 PM

2,270 posts, read 8,101,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDResidentToBe View Post
I suggest you got to Minneapolis, Minnesota! I'm from Minnesota..cost of living is not too bad (better than MD), the education system there is great! And it's been voted as one of the places for having a lot of singles!
I met my husband when we both lived in Minnesota! It's a great place, as long as you can deal with the cold.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:46 PM

33 posts, read 104,939 times
If you like mountains and green, you may want to consider Denver, CO. This is a big city with so much to do in all seasons. I am currently in Colorado Springs, but miss the ocean side (I'm from S. Florida). I was hoping to live somewhere in Northern Virginia or Southern MD. I too feel like you. Living in Colorado has made me appreciate the mountains, but I'm still a coastal girl. Anyway, Denver/Boulder is a college/young city. Maybe it's the place for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland