U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 01:42 PM

77 posts, read 255,246 times

Advertisements

When I said some stuff, I meant that if you had a check engine light on, then you would fail. But a good mechanic would clear the code and then redo the inspection so you can pass. Check engine lights are only for emissions which is a lot more strict in NY than it is in Maryland. Yes, my vehicle is older, but there is nothing wrong with it. I have had no problems with any inspection here in NYS. Inspection only cover certain things (Emissions, Visibility [windshield, wipers], Movability & Safety [turning of tires, wear of tires, directional signals, headlights] Everything else is not needed to pass. I have all of those things in check so I should be good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 04:10 AM

2,051 posts, read 4,844,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonJeep View Post
When I said some stuff, I meant that if you had a check engine light on, then you would fail. But a good mechanic would clear the code and then redo the inspection so you can pass. Check engine lights are only for emissions which is a lot more strict in NY than it is in Maryland. Yes, my vehicle is older, but there is nothing wrong with it.
It won't pass the emissions inspection which is seperate from the safety inspection and is done at a state inspection station.

You have what's called an "OBD II" vehicle. That stands for On Board Diagnostics 2. At the vehicle emissions inspection they will plug into the computer and check for 2 things. The first is to make sure that a sufficient number of miles has been driven for the computer to find any faults in the system. The second test looks at the memory and the computer and see if there are any faults. You WILL NOT be able to bribe the inspector. They have no control over the test. They just plug the vehicle in.

If you can find a mechanic that will clear the codes then the computer will see the codes have been cleared and fail the car until you drive enough miles to reset any fault codes that should be there.

In-so-far as the safety inspection goes...

The huge majority of shops would rather fail your car and make big bucks fixing it then take a 50 dollar bribe and risk loosing their license.

And yes, a lit CEL will fail the safety ispection.

Old 02-06-2011, 02:00 PM

12,553 posts, read 18,931,506 times
My friend just b ought a used car in New York and brought it to MD. It passed the NY Inspection, but failed in MD. He had to make 4 repairs, one of which was 4 new tires. Can't remember the other 3. MD's inspection is more thorough than NY's so do not assume it will pass here.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:16 AM

5,229 posts, read 11,487,380 times
A bit of advice, have the car inspected at a locatin that ONLY does inspections, not repairs. Pretty much every shop that does inspections AND repairs will fail the vehicle based on whatever theri specialty is. Muffler shops tend to fail for "pinholes" in the exhaust, while tire shops tend to fail for tires and brakes. And general repair shops can actually have no clue as to what they are looking at and fail for a crazy mix of stuff. Over the years I've found a few shops that all they do is inspections and have no financial vested interest in the outcome. All are MUCH fairer about the process.

Looking in the phone book can find them, but here are a couple:

http://www.mdstateinspectionstation.com/

Maryland Auto and Truck Repair - Home

Auto Repair & Inspection Reisterstown, Baltimore City, MD - The Inspection Station

Old 03-03-2011, 07:08 PM

1 posts, read 7,760 times
Default How long does inspection cover?

I recently bought a used car from a guy out of the paper not a dealer. I bought it less than 3 weeks ago and the car broke down on me today. Im not positive yet but it looks like the engine is done. The inspection was done less than a month ago and I was wondering if by any chance Im still covered. Does the inspection provide me any leverage or am I just stuck? If anyone knows please let me know as soon as possible!!! I spent every dime on the car and cant fix it. Thanks!

Old 03-04-2011, 07:54 AM

5,229 posts, read 11,487,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykelley13 View Post
I recently bought a used car from a guy out of the paper not a dealer. I bought it less than 3 weeks ago and the car broke down on me today. Im not positive yet but it looks like the engine is done. The inspection was done less than a month ago and I was wondering if by any chance Im still covered. Does the inspection provide me any leverage or am I just stuck? If anyone knows please let me know as soon as possible!!! I spent every dime on the car and cant fix it. Thanks!
The inspection we're discussing is the state safety inspection. It has nothing to do with whether the car will run at all. The Inspection doens't check condition of the engine or transmission for running ability.

THis is what['s inspected:

MARYLAND STATE INSPECTION ITEMS LIST

Notice nothing there would say whther or not the car actually runs. And it definitely won't say how LONG it will run.

What you are thinking of is a mechanic's pre-purchase inspection that's supposed to go over the condition of the mechanicals, checking compresion, fuel pressure, leakdown, condition of fluids, etc. And even then, if it is all working at the time of inspection things can still happen later.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:12 PM

1 posts, read 6,652 times
A vehicle has been purchased for $300.00 and the owner signed the title over to the buyer.
Must the vehicle be registered and/or titled? If yes, how long does the buyer have to register and/or title the vehicle?
Is the buyer/new owner required to have a driver's license and/or permit in order to register and/or title the vehicle?
What is the rule (law) for having an untitled/non-registered vehicle parked on private property if it does not have tags and is not being driven?
If it is a recently acquired vehicle and the buyer is unable to register and/or title the vehicle due to finances, what are the buyer's options? What can/should the buyer do?

Old 11-27-2012, 08:15 PM

2,663 posts, read 2,773,390 times
The law would depend on your local law. For example our town requires that untagged vehicles or recreation equipment be screened from other property. If it doesn't have tags and isn't titled the DMV doesn't care about it as long as it stays on private property. As long as the property owner is okay with it there wouldn't be a problem.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:24 AM

16 posts, read 36,983 times
Can a car be registered in Maryland if the owner lives in another state? My daughter is moving to Maryland, but I am the owner of the vehicle. The full warranty on the car is for the original owner only (100,000 miles/ 10 years). If I transfer the title to her, then the warranty is cut in half (50,000/5 years). She has had many problems with the car, which is why I would like to remain the owner.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:27 AM

26,848 posts, read 57,874,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecockmom View Post
My daughter is moving to Maryland, but I am the owner of the vehicle.
How long do you intend to allow daughter to use your car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVA
Maryland law requires that most vehicles be titled and registered in this state if they will be kept here more than sixty (60) days. A Non-Resident Permit enables a licensed driver to maintain and operate a vehicle with out-of-state registration for more than sixty (60) days in Maryland, without titling and registering it here.
Quote:
Can a car be registered in Maryland if the owner lives in another state?
Registering first requires titling... which means transfer of ownership.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or