Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 09:28 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,695,467 times

Advertisements

Could we ever see rail transit cross the bay heading towards Ocean City?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 01:12 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,951,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
Could we ever see rail transit cross the bay heading towards Ocean City?
not in our lifetime you will see 950 extend before that happens. But I think the rail should cross through southern MD to ocean city now that would be nice

Old 07-07-2011, 03:41 PM

316 posts, read 560,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drs72 View Post
This past weekend I went to Baltimore for the Young Democrats Mid-Atlantic Region convention. Talking with the President of YD Maryland, she told me that the western Maryland chapters weren't there because they had a western Maryland summit or something like that over the weekend. I asked her which chapters she was referring to and she told me Allegany, Washington, Frederick, etc. I stopped her there and said, "Frederick is not Western Maryland." She replied, "I think the question is whether or not Carroll County is Western Maryland." I immediately thought, "Wow, are you serious? When was the last time you looked at a map?"
My brother resides in Frederick and said the say thing about the city not being considered Western Maryland. I'm about to move there and always thought the city was part of that region just cause some parts of the county does have tall hills.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:55 PM

389 posts, read 796,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~CountryBoy~ View Post
My brother resides in Frederick and said the say thing about the city not being considered Western Maryland. I'm about to move there and always thought the city was part of that region just cause some parts of the county does have tall hills.
Yeah, there's definitely a lot of confusion about which counties are actually considered "Western Maryland." Do a Google Images search for "map of Maryland by region" and you'll see what I mean. Some group Frederick County in our region, but most don't. Geographically, it's in the central part of the state. Topographically, you have small hills, wide valleys, and a lot of farmland. Culturally, the area is increasingly oriented towards DC and has become pretty suburban in nature (hence its inclusion in the sometimes separate "Capital region"). Some hills and open space don't equate to "western." In regards to Washington County, most group it in with Western Maryland. Geographically, it is in the western panhandle of the state and is technically Appalachia. I usually don't contradict anyone who claims Wash. Co. as Western Maryland as long as they remember that it extends beyond there lol. However, the topography of Wash. Co. is a lot more like Frederick or Carroll County than Allegany or Garrett. Culturally, there are some differences too and that area is even becoming exurban. I was talking to a kid from Williamsport once and used the word "downstate" in reference to his area. He said that it was funny that I used that term because the people in his area distance themselves from the people that live close to DC and Baltimore. It's all relative, I guess. In all truth, Allegany and Garrett have a separate regional identity than Washington and Frederick, although I would identify with someone from Hagerstown more than someone from Frederick. The same goes for someone from Frederick over someone from Baltimore. I really like the relatively new "Mountain Maryland" terminology. It's specific and more applicable to us, so "Western Maryland" can be whatever they want it to be. Where exactly are you moving from, by the way?

Old 07-08-2011, 02:37 AM

316 posts, read 560,039 times
Quote:
Yeah, there's definitely a lot of confusion about which counties are actually considered "Western Maryland." Do a Google Images search for "map of Maryland by region" and you'll see what I mean. Some group Frederick County in our region, but most don't. Geographically, it's in the central part of the state. Topographically, you have small hills, wide valleys, and a lot of farmland. Culturally, the area is increasingly oriented towards DC and has become pretty suburban in nature (hence its inclusion in the sometimes separate "Capital region"). Some hills and open space don't equate to "western." In regards to Washington County, most group it in with Western Maryland. Geographically, it is in the western panhandle of the state and is technically Appalachia. I usually don't contradict anyone who claims Wash. Co. as Western Maryland as long as they remember that it extends beyond there lol. However, the topography of Wash. Co. is a lot more like Frederick or Carroll County than Allegany or Garrett. Culturally, there are some differences too and that area is even becoming exurban. I was talking to a kid from Williamsport once and used the word "downstate" in reference to his area. He said that it was funny that I used that term because the people in his area distance themselves from the people that live close to DC and Baltimore. It's all relative, I guess. In all truth, Allegany and Garrett have a separate regional identity than Washington and Frederick, although I would identify with someone from Hagerstown more than someone from Frederick. The same goes for someone from Frederick over someone from Baltimore. I really like the relatively new "Mountain Maryland" terminology. It's specific and more applicable to us, so "Western Maryland" can be whatever they want it to be. Where exactly are you moving from, by the way?
I'm moving from the eastern shore.

Old 07-08-2011, 05:22 AM

7,008 posts, read 11,304,621 times
Quote:
Thank you. I have been saying the same thing over and over and everybody looks at me like I have 3 eyes. For us Western Maryland is Sideling Hill and west, everything east is downstate.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qjbusmaster View Post
not in our lifetime you will see 950 extend before that happens. But i think the rail should cross through southern md to ocean city now that would be nice
950?

Old 07-11-2011, 09:03 AM

2,046 posts, read 4,951,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
950?
950 is a peak hour commuter express/long distace line from kent island to washington,DC the line has departures from annapolis as well. It goes to DC at AM and arrives from DC at PM. It is a highway bus run by dillions and contracted to MTAmaryland actuall it's an MTA coach bus.

Old 07-11-2011, 02:20 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
The map is an awesome piece of work, thanks for doing it.

I grew up and spent 57 years in the Baltimore-DC area and was in the transport business for many years.

Lines that are desperately needed today are:
- DC to Frederick, MD. I always hoped the DC Metro would make that happen. The Red Line goes up to Rockville/Shady Grove, but needs to reach Gaithersburg asap and then on to Frederick.
- DC to Dulles Airport, which I think is in the plans. An awesome line from the perspective of high ridership and helping with the gridlock.
- DC to Manassas, VA. Extension of the Orange Line from Vienna through Fair Oaks, Centreville and down to Manassas. VRE runs a line from Manassas to DC via another route, but having the DC metro there would be awesome.

Some sort of rail link between Frederick and Hagerstown would be excellent, once the closer-in work is done, but I'd set aside the land now, perhaps the old WMRwy line that is now a trail.

The Old B&O RR line from Frederick to Baltimore is still there as part of CSX and should be used for passenger service, as it was many years ago. Doing so would re-invigorate that area, just like it did in the 1830's when it was a new rail line up the Patapsco River valley.

The woman who said Carroll County was considered to be part of western Maryland is very mistaken, it's solidly central. My sister is in Hampstead, MD, in Carroll County; she's almost due north of Baltimore and only a few miles from I-83.

IMO western Maryland begins west of Hagerstown, based on my favorite demarcation point of I-81, but to each his own.

On the south end of this discussion, there used to be excellent rail interurban services between Washington, Baltimore and Annapolis, via the WB&A. An excellent book, long out of print and hard to get a copy of is "Every Hour on the Hour" by John E. Merriken. Much of the old right of way is still there, a bike trail these days, and IIRC, part of the MTA light rail line to BWI follows that EXACT path. I'd love to see Annapolis served (again) by lines from both DC and Baltimore.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
- DC to Frederick, MD. I always hoped the DC Metro would make that happen. The Red Line goes up to Rockville/Shady Grove, but needs to reach Gaithersburg asap and then on to Frederick.
I say extend the Red Line out to Gaithersburg, build the LRT from Shady Grove metro station to Clarksburg via Frederick or build a two-track line in the median of I-270 up to Frederick and use it as a commuter rail line.

Quote:
DC to Manassas, VA. Extension of the Orange Line from Vienna through Fair Oaks, Centreville and down to Manassas. VRE runs a line from Manassas to DC via another route, but having the DC metro there would be awesome.
I say extend the Orange line just to Centreville, expand VRE service along the Manassas line and extend VRE to Haymarket once the 29 interchange and a second track is put in.

Quote:
The Old B&O RR line from Frederick to Baltimore is still there as part of CSX and should be used for passenger service, as it was many years ago. Doing so would re-invigorate that area, just like it did in the 1830's when it was a new rail line up the Patapsco River valley.
First thing is first; double-track it, like in the old days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland