Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 08:20 AM

385 posts, read 1,920,858 times

Advertisements

I love Ethiopian food. I'm so lucky I have so many near my work!

Oooh... I think I'm going to go soon. My craving for Tikil Gomen just got whet.

Old 03-03-2011, 02:09 PM

7,017 posts, read 11,310,963 times
Ethopians are VERY proud to be Ethopian. They were the only "country" in Africa to never be a Western Colony (take that Italy.) And take a large leadership role in Pan-African affairs.

If I have my history correct, the Ethopians were appalled when they first Europeans starting arriving in large numbers and thought they were "black." They had always considered themselves a group apart from their darker skinned neighbors. I don't know if this distinction is still true in Africa, or among Ethopian-Americans, but I do know that Ethopians have a very distinct look that is nothing like the Bantu language speaking Africans that make most of the contintent. They are a pretty clear example of an ethnic group that is transitional from the "caucausians" the inhabit North Africa and the "no racial term would be PC here" that live to their south.

I have found Ethopians to interact normally with African-Americans, but at the same time are very clichish in their close friends and dating partners. This is probably just a 1st or 2nd generation immigrant thing, and I suspect they will assimilate into the African-American culture at large, although I suspect much like other African groups in America will probably be more upwardly mobile than the native African-Americans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
They mostly came as political refugees. I don't think there was ever a strong desire to 'come to the U.S.', it was mostly fleeing repressive politics in Ethiopia, that brought them to the U.S. In 1980, there was a Refugee Act, the first that I know of, that began bringing in African refugees. So, as Ethiopians fled political problems in Ethiopia, they were granted the ability to come to the U.S.

Because of that, I'd imagine most are very legal.

---------------------

On that note, since most of you are in Washington DC, and probably come across many Ethiopians. Any interesting attributes you can attribute to them?

I've actually only met a handful in my life, (I'm not in DC), but certainly noticed a certain pride in being Ethiopian, and Ethiopians seem very friendly/nice/interesting with a strong unique culture.

Are there certain stereotypes that someone might use to apply to Ethiopians? Do African-Americans and European-Americans view them differently, or have different relationships with Ethiopian-Americans?

From what little I know of Ethiopians, they seem to strongly assert their own identity of Ethiopianness well beyond being African. But not sure if in Metro DC, that is the same or not.

Nontheless, might be interesting conversation here...

Old 03-03-2011, 05:32 PM

314 posts, read 759,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Ethopians are VERY proud to be Ethopian. They were the only "country" in Africa to never be a Western Colony (take that Italy.) And take a large leadership role in Pan-African affairs.

If I have my history correct, the Ethopians were appalled when they first Europeans starting arriving in large numbers and thought they were "black." They had always considered themselves a group apart from their darker skinned neighbors. I don't know if this distinction is still true in Africa, or among Ethopian-Americans, but I do know that Ethopians have a very distinct look that is nothing like the Bantu language speaking Africans that make most of the contintent. They are a pretty clear example of an ethnic group that is transitional from the "caucausians" the inhabit North Africa and the "no racial term would be PC here" that live to their south.

I have found Ethopians to interact normally with African-Americans, but at the same time are very clichish in their close friends and dating partners. This is probably just a 1st or 2nd generation immigrant thing, and I suspect they will assimilate into the African-American culture at large, although I suspect much like other African groups in America will probably be more upwardly mobile than the native African-Americans.
Uh...some Ethiopians in the past were hesitant to be lumped in that one black category cause Ethiopians are very tribal(even amongst eachother) and the negative stigma of inferiority associated with blacks given by racist European colonist at that time...but Ethiopians have always been proud of their blackness hense changing the country's name from Abyssinia to Ethiopia(literally meaning land of blacks) as well as Ethiopia being a symbol of and at the forefront of the Pan African movement...Ethiopians nor socalled Bantu speakers have one look...Both are very diverse...There are Ethiopians that resemble some socalled Bantu speakers and vice versa...All native Africans(including Northern Africans) are blacks....Caucasians in North Africa are a minority whom descend from both invaders and slaves whom settled in the region ..Most North Africans are heavily mixed between predominantly arabs(whom conquered the region), native black Africans, and Europeans(colonist and former slaves)

Again..Like many African immigrants Ethiopians are very tribal people...They fact that they like to stick amongst their own circle is hardly a surprise...

Old 03-03-2011, 05:35 PM

Here's a video some DC Ethiopians...T

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nektE5gFja4

hey look very assimilated to American culture to me and are obviously the younger Ethiopian demographic is heavily influenced by African American culture.

Old 03-03-2011, 06:22 PM

7,017 posts, read 11,310,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brother's keeper View Post
Uh...some Ethiopians in the past were hesitant to be lumped in that one black category cause Ethiopians are very tribal(even amongst eachother) and the negative stigma of inferiority associated with blacks given by racist European colonist at that time...but Ethiopians have always been proud of their blackness hense changing the country's name from Abyssinia to Ethiopia(literally meaning land of blacks) as well as Ethiopia being a symbol of and at the forefront of the Pan African movement...Ethiopians nor socalled Bantu speakers have one look...Both are very diverse...There are Ethiopians that resemble some socalled Bantu speakers and vice versa...All native Africans(including Northern Africans) are blacks....Caucasians in North Africa are a minority whom descend from both invaders and slaves whom settled in the region ..Most North Africans are heavily mixed between predominantly arabs(whom conquered the region), native black Africans, and Europeans(colonist and former slaves)

Again..Like many African immigrants Ethiopians are very tribal people...They fact that they like to stick amongst their own circle is hardly a surprise...

What you say is certainly true. I didn't mean to imply that it was the "blackness" of their neighbors that abhored them, just that the Ethopians considered themselves superior to their neighbors because of their religion and long history as a nation and didn't appreciate or want to be grouped with them.

The country of Ethiopia contains numerous ethnic groups and 100s of different languages. I think my comments apply mostly the Amharic speakers that are the cultural and political elite in the country. There is clearly a 'look' to these people, my Ethiopian buddy has actually complimented me on my ability to distinguish them, "You know my people" he says with a smile. It is no different than saying Swedes have a "look" or the Japanese, etc. It is true, you just need to make sure you don't mistake similarity for uniformity, which doesn't exist.

I know most scholars consider the old "races" to be anachronisms, but the residents of North Africa, be them Arab, Berber (most Berbers), Egyptian, etc. are considered to be Caucausian and have lived in this area since pre-history. The Amharic Ethopians clearly represent a phenotypic transition zone between these people on their north and the "no PC word for this exists" groups that live to their south. The oval shaped faces, the narrow nose bridges, the intermediate skin tones, bushy hair. In previous times when racial designation REALLY mattered there was serious debate over whether Ethiopians were Caucasians or black.

Again, I don't mean to offend by any of this. Africa is the only continent that can claim to have native populations of all the races (Caucasians in the North, Blacks in the west, central, and south, Pygmies in the rainforests, Bushman in the Kalihari Desert and Asians on Madacascar.) This is of course because Africa was the cradle of human evolution, and in evolutionary biology, linguistics and many other fields, the birthplace of a species, language, etc. is almost always where the most genetic diversity is found. As any species spread out, the "founder effect" becomes important and only those genes present in the founders of the new area become part of the gene pool.

The idea of Africa being the "Black Continent" isn't true and doesn't do it justice because of the genetic and racial diversity of its natives.

Last edited by westsideboy; 03-03-2011 at 06:32 PM..

Old 03-03-2011, 06:43 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,760,072 times
There is a new Ethiopian lounge opening up in downtown silver spring. It's suppose to be a posh lounge sports bar with VIP, couches everything.

Old 03-03-2011, 06:49 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
What you say is certainly true. I didn't mean to imply that it was the "blackness" of their neighbors that abhored them, just that the Ethopians considered themselves superior to their neighbors because of their religion and long history as a nation and didn't appreciate or want to be grouped with them.

The country of Ethiopia contains numerous ethnic groups and 100s of different languages. I think my comments apply mostly the Amharic speakers that are the cultural and political elite in the country. There is clearly a 'look' to these people, my Ethiopian buddy has actually complimented me on my ability to distinguish them, "You know my people" he says with a smile. It is no different than saying Swedes have a "look" or the Japanese, etc. It is true, you just need to make sure you don't mistake similarity for uniformity, which doesn't exist.

I know most scholars consider the old "races" to be anachronisms, but the residents of North Africa, be them Arab, Berber (most Berbers), Egyptian, etc. are considered to be Caucausian and have lived in this area since pre-history. The Amharic Ethopians clearly represent a phenotypic transition zone between these people on their north and the "no PC word for this exists" groups that live to their south. The oval shaped faces, the narrow nose bridges, the intermediate skin tones, bushy hair. In previous times when racial designation REALLY mattered there was serious debate over whether Ethiopians were Caucasians or black.

Again, I don't mean to offend by any of this. Africa is the only continent that can claim to have native populations of all the races (Caucasians in the North, Blacks in the west, central, and south, Pygmies in the rainforests, Bushman in the Kalihari Desert and Asians on Madacascar.) This is of course because Africa was the cradle of human evolution, and in evolutionary biology, linguistics and many other fields, the birthplace of a species, language, etc. is almost always where the most genetic diversity is found. As any species spread out, the "founder effect" becomes important and only those genes present in the founders of the new area become part of the gene pool.

The idea of Africa being the "Black Continent" isn't true and doesn't do it justice because of the genetic and racial diversity of its natives.
African Americans have this need to claim everyone with dark skin as black. I guess it stems from America's non-scientific race categorizations.

Ethiopians have a vastly different history than Bantu Africans the ancestors of African Americans.

Ethiopia had ambassadorial relations with Europe going back to King Henry VIII

Old 03-03-2011, 06:54 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brother's keeper View Post

They are proud of their culture,but they don't emphasize skin color. Ethiopians see themselves as apart from the rest of Black Africa although they have taken some leadership roles in the governance of the Continent. I believe the African Union is headquartered there for example.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:22 PM

Quote:

Like I said..Ethiopians are very tribal in nature even amongst other Ethiopians

So you are the mouth piece for most Ethiopians now? I don't think Ethiopians ethnic pride make them any more unique than any other Africans...Like I said Ethiopians like most Africans have very strong tribal mentalities....During the time of European colonization to be black was widely associated with being slaves of Europeans which Ethiopians have never been...That was what they what certain Ethiopian leaders for rejecting more so than saying they were superior to Africans....These were proud people whom didn't believe they were beneath anyone.

Yeah i'm aware of Ethiopia's diversity which is why I corrected you..

Berber is a modern and inaccurate label created by Eurocentric revionist scholars whom agenda is whitewashing North African history.....The original people of North Africa were all dark or brown skinned black people such as the Tuaregs, Moors, Saharawis, Ancient Egyptians/Ku****es and Beja(among others)...I don't exactly consider arabs Caucasian either cause they decend from the deserts of Arabia not the Caucasus mountains of Europe..There are black arabs whom are clearly not Caucasoids by any definition and even most lightskin arabs whom aren't heavily mixed with European look too ethnic to be Caucasian...Eurasian would be a better and more accurate term..It's been well documented that the Eurasians of North Africa are not native to the region and didn't reside their in significant numbers until North Africa fell to Islamic Middle Eastern then European colonial conquest....North Africa is very similar to Brazil racially now...Many if not most are a mix between native black North Africans whom are now the minority, Middle Easterners/arabs whom are the majority and to a lesser extinct Europeans.Ofcourse Ethiopians are black..We are arguably the most diverse people on the planet and come in all features...None of those physical characteristics you mentioned some Ethiopians have are exclusive to them among blacks..There are alot of non Ethiopian blacks including socalled Bantu speakers with similar features.

For the last time the Caucasians in North Africa are a minority and not indigenous to the land....Native North Africans are blacks like the rest of Africans and all the other regions of the continent! Most of those other people you mentioned to prove Africa's racial diversity are blacks...That just goes to show the diversity within the blackrace more so than racial diversity of Africans..The Asians in Madagascar are widely speculated believed to be settlers....I don't subscribe to the Evolutionary Theory cause of it's many holes and lack of logic...Yes all indigenous Africans are blacks...The ethnic diversity within Africa's black children a beautiful thing

Last edited by brother's keeper; 03-03-2011 at 08:14 PM..

Old 03-03-2011, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
African Americans have this need to claim everyone with dark skin as black. I guess it stems from America's non-scientific race categorizations.

Ethiopians have a vastly different history than Bantu Africans the ancestors of African Americans.

Ethiopia had ambassadorial relations with Europe going back to King Henry VIII
Black is the only racial category Ethiopians could logically fit in..

Fool...To have dark skin, curly to wooly afo hair and be an native African= black

Ethiopia's relations with an European makes them no less black....Last time I checked Ethiopia won the respect of Europe by successfully rebelling European colonial conquest..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland