U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 01:55 PM

10 posts, read 20,208 times

Advertisements

Has anyone seen the new Ryan Homes town home community in Sykesville? The homes are really nice but the community is located right in front of a state correctional facility, drug treatment center and mental hospital ! There is also a dicey looking apartment community across the road. Any thoughts on how this may affect safety of the community or resale value of the homes? The homes start in the 270s and seem to go to the mid 300s. Is it really possible they will sell for more than that in 5-10 years considering the neighbors?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 02:35 PM

297 posts, read 849,808 times
We've lived here for 4 years now and have had NO problems with the apartment complex, the correctional institution or the mental hospital. The mental hospital is a locked facility and has been dramatically reduced in size. Currently, the plan is to develop the Warfield complex (the former Springfield mental hospital) to bring in outside businesses/offices into the vacant buildings. This plan has been stalling a bit, since it seems like they can't seem to get anyone to take charge of developing this area for business use.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:05 PM

54 posts, read 89,957 times
I have lived in the area for over 40 years. When I was a kid we would sometimes hear about someone escaping from one of the aforementioned facilities, but it has been ages since I have heard anything about them. The correctional facility is the central laundry facility for the MD state prison system. It is a minimum security prison where non-violent offenders work doing the laundry for the statewide system. Then again, I have never lived THAT close to it--you can't get much closer than those new townhouses. The apartment community is not bad at all--it is one of the only rental apartment communities in the zip code, but that still puts it head & shoulders above anything you would find in Baltimore or Howard Counties as far as safety is concerned. There really aren't any "dicey" neighborhoods in this area. I personally wouldn't buy in Raincliffe, because for the price, I think I could find a single family home--although I haven't really searched lately so maybe you are finding that's not the case. What schools are they zoned for?

Old 02-23-2011, 06:19 AM

297 posts, read 849,808 times
I have to agree with Sandkrab that the price of the Raincliffe townhouses are a bit high. If it's resale value that you're concerned about, then you may want to go with a single family home in the area. You can certainly find nice single family homes in the Sykesville - Eldersburg area for the low-mid 300's.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:56 PM

1 posts, read 3,760 times
Hello. I live in one of the new townhomes in the Raincliffe Community in Sykesville. I was also concerned about the location of the home....correctional center, mental hospital, etc. The correctional center is a low security center and they have not had any reported issues. By issues I mean inmates escaping. Again this is a low security center. There are no murderers there. As for the state run mental hospital, most of the hospital campus is vacant. In fact, the MD state police use parts of the campus for training new officers and such. The area is very safe. As for the price of the townhomes, they are now going for the 270s. Sucks for me because I live in the first group and I was not able to get this pricing. I still received excellent pricing and no closing costs. As for finding a new construction single home in the Sykesville/Eldersburg area. There is another Ryan community called Oak Creek, and those homes start in the mid to upper 300s. If you want a decent sized home they will run almost 400k. When I mean decent sized...there are several models to pick from. If you look at new construction townhomes in Howard County, the prices start 40-60k above those in Raincliffe. I did a lot of research and got an excellent price.

Old 03-09-2011, 03:16 PM

3,102 posts, read 4,331,260 times
The state owns the land where the prison is located. They could decide tomorrow to tear down the laundry and make it a Supermax. It is the old bait and switch. They did it us out here in Cumberland,

"Oh, don't worry minimum security only, one small prison, yadda yadda yadda."

Now we have two maximum security prisons on the site including the "Supermax" and death row, should it be reinstated in Maryland. Liars and jerks.

As for Carroll County, I doubt they would crap on you the same way they crap on us. The plan is to keep building up the prison complexes in rural Maryland, while reducing them in the central part of the state. I have no doubt land values and redevelopment are a big reason why. They don't care about us out here and send the prisoners to us thinking, "out of sight, out of mind."

But the moral of the story, is don't trust the state with what they say about land used by the bureau of Corrections. It could change overnight with no input needed or requested from the citizens.

Old 05-03-2011, 04:21 PM

10 posts, read 20,208 times
I really loved the townhomes - and I noticed the price went down again! I am from NY where you can be in a beautiful neighborhood on one block and locking your car doors at lights on the next - I can invest in ADT and feel safe - I just can't convince my husband that it will be safe. Thanks for the input folks!

Old 05-17-2011, 07:51 PM

5 posts, read 8,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babsie80 View Post
Hello. I live in one of the new townhomes in the Raincliffe Community in Sykesville. I was also concerned about the location of the home....correctional center, mental hospital, etc. The correctional center is a low security center and they have not had any reported issues. By issues I mean inmates escaping. Again this is a low security center. There are no murderers there. As for the state run mental hospital, most of the hospital campus is vacant. In fact, the MD state police use parts of the campus for training new officers and such. The area is very safe. As for the price of the townhomes, they are now going for the 270s. Sucks for me because I live in the first group and I was not able to get this pricing. I still received excellent pricing and no closing costs. As for finding a new construction single home in the Sykesville/Eldersburg area. There is another Ryan community called Oak Creek, and those homes start in the mid to upper 300s. If you want a decent sized home they will run almost 400k. When I mean decent sized...there are several models to pick from. If you look at new construction townhomes in Howard County, the prices start 40-60k above those in Raincliffe. I did a lot of research and got an excellent price.

Hi babsie80 Hope you are living in Eldersburg area, Could you please send me personal mail on buying a home in Elderburg Ryan homes in Piney Ridge circle near Piney ridge Elementary school.

Pls let me know your views. Look forward to hear from you.

Thanks and Regards - ramki.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:16 PM

8 posts, read 10,897 times
Ive heard bad things about Ryan Homes; should I be worried about buying a house from the Raincliffe community in eldersburg/sykesville, MD area? Should I run away from the thoughts?

Old 07-18-2011, 01:39 AM

5 posts, read 16,466 times
I am looking into that community as well. Does anyone know anything about further development in the community? Also how long have Raincliffe been on sale for?

Previous poster said 4 years, I can't imagine them trying to build/sell for four years and still havn't sold out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland